Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shot while driving in Ind, I94, Mich City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Jun 28, 2007.

1. no55mad

no55mad

This happened last fall just before Thanksgiving and it still irratates. Was towing my 30 A coupe on an open trailer with a GMC 3/4 ton van. Got fuel in Mich City and the left rear van window (by fuel filler neck)was fine. Pulled into a rest stop just after the Mich boarder to let the dogs out and the left rear window was shot dead center. Stray bullet from hunting or done on purpose? Called the cops and they showed no interest. Anybody experience anything like this; especially in this area?

2. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Kind of...but not to me, and in IL. My wife's aunt was driving and out of nowhere the passenger window just shattered. We all thought "Weird...well ok". Then like two weeks later some lady was driving in the same area and the back window in her SUV shattered and the police found a .22 slug in the seat back. Haven't heard of any more since... Glad nobody was hurt...in either case.

Kamp

3. I have to think that, particularly if the local cops showed no interest, I'd report it as a possible terrorist attack to homeland security. But at this point all you can do is be glad no one was hurt and the only damage was some glass. Glass isn't that hard to replace.

4. Lakota

Lakota

It's random vandalism. Kids with nothing better to do than drive around and 'pop a cap' in to something that looks like a good target. On Halloween eve, one of the local kids decided to shoot out the rear side window of my wifes brand new SUV. We have full coverage, but it ended up costing us almost $900 to replace it. We know who did it, he bragged all over town about it. We had no concrete evidence or witnesses, so he would stroll past our place, laugh and give us the finger.
    Some weeks later he got his...There was a loud "BOOM" from his 12X12 shed. His meth lab blew up. They found a huge hole in the roof and he was splattered all over the walls.

5. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

It's easy to see how these really minor incidents spiral out of control until someone has to die before you feel it's now even.

Unless your body is punctured most cops are just going to give you an incident number for your insurance company.

It's unreasonable to expect anything more, especially since there are no facts about where it exactly occured.

6. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Just remember that the karma bus makes frequent stops and has lots of empty seats!

7. jmn444

jmn444

that was actually a big deal in indiana last year I think... quite a few sniper type shots on 94 & 65 if I remember right. closer to gary area I think. no injuries I don't think, but quite a few broken windshields.

8. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I'm near the Il/In border. In the recent past, there have been some incidents, but I don't recall any being that far east. In all fairness, things that happen way out in the sticks (so-to-speak) don't always make the news in a big way. Glad to hear you were not injured. Stu

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Had a 79 Buick Turbo years ago , driving to work and it sounded like a stone hit a window real hard but no damage , no briken glass , no traffic to be seen, I mean no one around . Don't know where sound came from to this day but it was loud.
    In any case few months later took it in for our required state inspection and mechanic asked me "Who took a shot at you " ?
    In the back window chrome molding was a bullet hole directly in line with where my head would be when driving. I thought WTF but it was around our deer season time when it happned so I passed it off as a great stroke of luck that I wasen't killed by some stray shot, maybe there is a God after all.

Years later the subject came up somehow at a family picnic and my son really started laughing. Apparently he was laying on the trunk to steady himself ,taking aim at a pigion on the top of the silo and well the bullet trajectory and the line of sight thru a scope are different, hense the misterious hole in the Buick and no Devine intervention just a young kid with a new rifle and a Buick with a hole in it.

10. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I had this happen to me in my '89 Chevy on a 2 hour drive to pick up my kids from my idiot ex-wife. We were on I-44 heading west and had just passed Stroud. Everyone was settled in and had just gotten started eating their Mickey Ds when all of a sudden BOOM and the glass imploded over all of us. I've got an extended cab, and had glass all the way up onto the dash, and all over our food and drinks and crap.

Never found out what happened, and didn't even bother with the cops.

11. no55mad

no55mad

Have heard some wierd stories in sharing this incident. Someone told me a coworker drove to work with the drivers window down. She felt something while driving that seemed like a bee sting. She asked asked someone at work to look to see if they could see anything wrong as the area on her neck kept hurting. The person checking said that looks more serious than a bee sting - went to the Dr and it was a pellet from an air rifle. Glad these are rare occurances as the prevention measures are limited!

12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

had it happen a couple times with bb guns. was driving to a swap meet with the old man and my brother one morning in the truck. passenger side window was rolled down about a 1-2" when all the sudden my brother's jean jacket let out a loud "POP" look down and a bb was rolling on the seat. hit him in the shoulder right through the opening in the window.

also, right next to my parent's house someone shot at my mother's car as she was going to work. she thought she kicked up a stone and just kept going, checked it out when she got home and found a perfect BB mark in her aluminum foil door of her hyundai.

13. "HE HATES THESE CANS"...steve martin(The Jerk)

14. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Thats about 20 min from me, and yes, there was about 3 or 4 seperate incidents like that in the last year or so. Not good...I think they actually caught a kid responsible.

15. mojo66

mojo66

I drive to work everyday from Chesterton,IN to Chicago. Last summer there were reports of windows getting shot out on Cline Ave. I take that route so everyone I talked to was concerned. Funny, though, I don't think there were any injuries. There were all kinds of theorys from rocks to BB guns and even ice cubes flung out of sling shots. People like that should be pelted with rocks in the city square. Bastards.

16. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

Not to cast any ill will among the 99% of fine warm Hoosier folks in the area, but I drive truck OTR and the area of nortern Indiana from the Il. line to the Mi. line contains some real losers. The other 99% of folks there have to put up w/this shit on a regular basis. Unfortunately, if there are no injuries or deaths, the cops aren't too concerned cause they're busier than hell w/worse problems out there. Some of these people are real sickos, and stupidity rules...Ole Pork

17. Nocturnal

Nocturnal
    from CO

Also beware of overpasses... some gangs like to drop bricks or cinder-blocks onto traffic below...

18. I had a window shot out in the '70s in an old caddy i bought from a Goose. I think someone was mad at him and we looked a lot alike.

Nothing to do wtih your deal but it does happen and the cops usually don't care becaue there isn't anything they can do unless someone tells anyway.

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I got peppered last fall on opening day of Dove season. I ripped into the field, jumped out of the truck and started screaming at three guys with loaded shot guns. Almost came to blows with one of them, before his adult son calmed him down. The one day I didn't have my cell phone to call the cops. Pellets hit my truck once, and hit me in the arm the second time. That was in Georgia.

My dumb shit little brother went joy riding with a really weak BB pistol several years ago when he was in high school. (45 year old spring loaded...wouldn't go through a paper bag, literally...but that's not the point) Don't know what all he shot at, but the pedestrial he hit called the cops. 4 squad cars, guns drawn, face down on the ground, a tow truck and a trip to jail taught him a pretty good lesson. My parents were out of town, so I had to go get him. The cops almost didn't release him to me because they were affraid I was going to kill him when we got home. I had to promise not to hit him, and they made him promise to call if he needed them.
    The cop actually thought it was kind of funny, because the guy he hit was a real hard case, and if he'd have caught him, "We'd be talking about this in the hospital and your brother would have tubes in him."
    That was before Columbine and all the other crap, too.

-Brad

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On the return trip from doing the show in York Pa a couple of years ago I acquired a large caliper bullet hole in the side of my trailer. Have no idea when it happened.

21. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Funny you mention this.... a lady (22 yo I think) was killed just this past weekend when a cement block went through the windshield of the car she was riding in. And no, it didn't fall off a truck... there are 8' fences and it was at 1:30 am.

Kamp

22. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Ahh--the definition of poetic justice!

I found a 22 bullet hole in my basement garage door located just under my bedroom a few years ago. It came from the direction of a recently completed eight plex. Some guy came into the neighborhood and overbuilt a piece of property for rental development. Evidently he had problems keeping it occupied to his desired capacity because he kept a rental sign permanently stuck in the front yard. Maybe he should have screened his tenants a little more carefully.

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Here in SoCal, it was turning into a national pasttime. Snipers on the 110, 5 and 10 freeways. These were multiple incidents on each freeway. To my knowledge, no one has ever been caught.

24. RacerRick

RacerRick

I bought a car that had bullet holes in the trunk. Two of them. It was a 66' GTO Convertable that had come to canada from new jersey.

The problem was they were inside the trunk, about 6" above the trunk floor, 3/4 of the way to the passenger side, and there was nothing on the outside. It looked exactly like someone stood with the trunk open and shot twice into the trunk.

This was the same car we found the petrafied finger or toe in the trunk drop off also.

25. jmn444

jmn444

^^^ makes me wonder if ever any wise guy pulled that and the bullet caused the gas tank to explode....

26. brewsir

brewsir

mythbusters shot a tank of gas full of holes...couldn't get the damn thing to blow until they shot at it with tracer rounds....I think the special effects guys keep people a little scared.
    My dad always told me a gas tank on fire just blows out the seam usually...he probably tried it more than once as he was a bored troublemaker back in the 50's!

27. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Not a bullet but ,on Fathers day the family took me out to dinner, on the way home I saw a car in the on comming lane with an arm hanging out the rear side window. As we passed they threw a container that hit my side mirror and dented it in two spots. I estimate the closing speed to be about 80 mph. If I had had my window down and it missed the mirror I could have been hurt badly.
    We all have enough problems who needs trash causing more.

28. How about patching a dozen 9mm in my garage and one that went into my house, damn gangbangers.

29. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

That was to funny,,,,,lol

30. Reverend_Grimm13

Reverend_Grimm13
    BANNED
    from Yucaipa

Karma told me she didn't like him and apparently he was a prick to everyone..His Karma enduced payback was for several people..I know a few around here who are going to get a visit from her..