Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a front crossmember?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead31coupe, Jun 30, 2007.

1. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

iam using a 4'' drop axle, i was told to adjust the caster back to 5 - 7 degrees positive with the crossmember, should i use an after market and set it, or can i adjust the stock one to that angle,

2. Flatman

Flatman

I think the stock crossmember came with a 6 degree angle to the spring mount.

Flatman

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Be sure to take the rake of the chassis into account when you put the crossmember in. Example: If the chassis is going to have a 5 degree forward rake (finish stance) and you put the crossmmember in at 5 degrees (to the frame)the net result will be 0 (zero). The 5-7 is in relation to the ground after the car is assembled and sitting on all 4 tires.

4. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

thanks, i was just thinking it would be better to do what i can for that now rather than later,when installing the crossmember,i will have a stock and a aftermarket crossmember to choose from...it will have a flathead v8 and run 16'' wire wheels,

5. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

is their any advantage to using the stock member over the aftermarket one?

6. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The aftermarket crossmember is intended to be used in a boxed frame, therefor its shorter than the original.

7. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

i see so if using the stock one, is their anymore tilt that needs to be added to the stock member then what it came with....

8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal
    from CO

In a nut shell, when your car is finished and sitting on flat ground, the axle needs to be between 6-9 degrees without the spring/shackles being in a bind. Best thing is to mock up exactly how you want your car to set, see what degree the cross member is at, then you know how much adjustment is needed to keep it at the required 6-9 degrees.
    This way, when you locate your hairpins/radius rods they will fall into place and not "bind-up" the spring/shackles....
    You can always opt for adjustable perch bolts also, this will eliminate any binding.

Good luck

9. If you already have the stock crossmember in place, it is much easier to make a "wedge plate" about 6 to 8" long x 3/16" thick on the narrow side and 3/8" thick on the "thick side" . This will give you the 6 degrees---then fit it into the top of the crossmember and weld the ends in place.

10. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

cool that what i needed to know, so if the factory crossmember was set at 6 degrees, i just need to get it all mocked up the way i want it to set,and re ckeck it and go from there..

11. Flatman

Flatman

It didn't take me long to figure out when doing all my mock up measuring that having your wheels/tires at the outset makes life a lot easier:D.
    Didn't stop me from doing things the hard way, just took longer...:rolleyes:

Flatman

12. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

i know you mean, thats the way it seems that i have to do it the hard way first, i was just trying to get an idea of what to do to save me a few steps,i know someone has build an a model coupe, with a v8 flathead and 4''drop axle, with 16'' wires, that has been through this already,,

13. Nocturnal

Nocturnal
    from CO

Thats one thing for sure I do know, It will never go together the first time. You will mock it up and tear it apart three times before its right ...welcome to the world of hotrods......

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

We use the Deuce Factory front crossmember which has 7 degrees built in.

15. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

16. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

The ones I sell from SO-CAL are full-width and you box around them.

17. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's good info....I wasn't aware of that.