Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are we snobs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caddychris, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

You can be a totally focused, fanatical, hot rod nut and NOT be a DICK. Some people are simply elitist dicks in the first place and just happen to be into hot rods.

2. bus-ter

bus-ter
    from canada

Wow years ago I was refused at the gate of a local show because of a "ewwwwwwwww that is ugly and old come back when its finished " guy! Sure I went in (after I offered bodily harm and the guy that ran the show came out and tore a strip off him) I found the the crowd went from the posh elite cars to my tore up 39 chev and loved the different look ( remember this was 1992 ).
    [​IMG]
    That said we want the next generation of car guy's and girl's to think this stuff is cool !!!!!!!!!!!! NOT that they are a bunch a A holes that wont except the different.
    Traditional hot rods were built buy guys that didn't have much money ...correct? Well not everyone can afford the new lean towards traditional hotrods and to lambaste them before they get into it is just stupid!
    I love traditional hot rods but these kids put allot a work and time in there stuff lets not turn them off if we don't have the same fondness for what they like. And just hope that they slide into filling our spots when we cant carry it on.

Buster

3. Dirk35

Dirk35

4. James66g

James66g

This is a subject I think about all the time a spare set of wheels might not be a bad idea and its kinda cool how much it changes the look of a car.I have a set of 15 inch astros w bullets for normal cruisin but plan on get some big inchers for hitten the mini truck shows. But I agree its shity when I hear people talkin smack about another guys ride. I listened to a guy wailin on a ride cause the kid put a tv in it and how that was totally wrong and I said to the guy.......dude go home and look at interior shots of Roths orbitron or hell half of Barris later stuff in the 60s had em if roth or Barris had access to todays stereo and electronics trust and believe the munsters would have had a plasma in the back and the beatnick bandits bubble wouldhave opened off the alarm !

5. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

i look at it this way...who cares what other think..it's HIS car.
    half the time when people rip on a car, they don't even have a car themselves.
    i get that alot when i go to shows, because the majority of shows i go to cater to street rods, and all the billit and shiney paint. people look at my car, and usually their first comment is "when are you going to paint it?"
    i tell them that i'm not going to paint it because i like it the way it is.
    no one should tell you how your car should or should not look. if i see a car at a show that i don't like...i keep it to myself and move on. no need to hurt the guys feelings in public....but that's just me.
    if anyone rips on my car, while i'm nearby...i'll agree with them....and then tell them that it's my car with a smile. they feel about 1/2 tall after that, and walk away.

6. none of the things you mentioned are traditional.
    bags are for groceries and mustang 2s and power racks belong in the junkyard rusting in pieces with the glorified pintos they came on.
    there is a place for all of this though...
    goodgays, nsra,and all the other billety,boyd bullshit everybodies invited clubs out there.
    just because your buddies dad built it doesnt give it a free pass to being cool.
    i have a lot of buddies that have non trad cars and i always tell em you are welcome to come to our parties and shows but dont drive the billetmobile.
    i feel like a dick sometimes but thats just the way it is.
    sorry but thats my opinion.

7. JimSibley

JimSibley

I think we are all a bunch of whinning, cry babies. Who bought what, who built what. Plastic or steel, wah wah wah... I myself am just a little whinning b##ch....

8. fugness

fugness

good thread.
    I have a highly "kustomed" 63 Falcon, probably close to one of the most customised cars you will see at most car "events" in Southern Australia. However as it is "only" a Falcon, it never gets recognised, not one bit. Do i care? Helllllllll NOOOOOO, i couldnt care less, in fact it makes me smile. Why? Cause the cars that get the attention in the "custom" side are always 50's cars, why again? Cause of all the "sheep" that follow what is supposedly cool. Whast cool to me, is that my car owes me about 2 grand, hahahaha, but yet it has the most custom mods out of all but a few. So yeah, people are snobs, it's just a "follow the leader" thing in my opinion.
    If you come to an event in a morris minor, but customised, thats cool to me, i dont care what you have, its all about the event, the happening in my book.
    Its a pity isnt it!

9. Damn, I sure opened a can of worms.

Still trying to get through it all.

I'll be back.

10. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Thanks a lot guys... I've been trying to get some money for these centerline wheels and you just dropped the value another couple of bucks!

11. racer756

racer756

Thats fuckin' funny....but really wierd:eek: and I get it:D

12. I don't think any of this really matters, if your into period perfect, or modern upgrades... whatever I have no problems with tuners or street rods. I just like cars, and driving them. People from all over the world are on here.

My buddy is getting new rims. I told him to drive to the show and park outside, save the entrance fee for the Kelseys you want. But where does it end? He cant lift his hood, or someone'll say "Ah man, that things gotta v-6 in it. What the fuck. he should rip it out and put a flatty back in it." but if he had a 350/350 it'll be cool.

I choose to build my cars however the owner (or I) want,
    3 criteria

it must run.
    It must stop.
    It must turn.

Everything else is personal taste.

I build "traditional" styled cars 'cause thats what I like and know.

I just don't like all the bashing.

Maybe, he just needs some cardboard wheel covers!

Thanks too all...
    Cad

P.S. His dads still alive, driving a 39 sedan
    His mom drives the gennie 31 tudor.
    He's just driving the 32 till his 39 is done.
    So... I don't really think he has to worry about what people think.

13. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Super Troopers qoute

14. Trends are just that, trends. I'm not into trends. People that follow trends are like sheep in my opinion, they just follow that pack and go where they are lead.
    I can appreciate the craftsmanship of any well built car or any other mechanical device for that matter. Cars are the extension of ones personality, and that being said, they will always have their differences.
    I remember about 20+ years ago when everyone wanted billet wheels and if you ran steelies, caps and rings you were a lame cheap ass. Now it's the other way around.
    I consider myself a wheel snob.
    There is a CORRECT set of wheels for EVERY car.

Big billet (18"+ non stock) wheels look like shit on everything. Period.

Newer style wires (Daytons etc.) look like shit on everything with the exception of lowriders. Alway have and always will, period.

Those billet directionals, with the painted wedge shaped centers, have ALWAYS looked like shit on anything including mini-trucks.

No matter what the trend is, unless you are a fiberglass street rodder, drag racer, off roader or drive a mid 70's and later car billet wheels are going to look like SHIT on it.

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

When you said that there was a correct set of wheels for everything I was going to disagree. Then I couldn't find where I disagreed with any of your examples so I'll go off and complain about people telling me to wear seat belts. ;)

16. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

What the hell is 'Super Troopers'?

Here's PROOF that everything has been done before... :)

17. Billet is as passe' as turned-up collars on polo shirts and mauve furniture, paint, stucco and tile in malls, office buildings and homes.

Today's fashion victims use LED lights on their cars. Other fashion victis wear eyeglasses that make them look like East German architects. Other fashion victims live in McMansions.

On the other hand, timeless, iconic beauty can be found in every square inch of, say, a deuce. Some car designs are so robust that they can tolerate or even benifit by, a chop.

Other designs, such as the Parthenon and its Golden Mean proportions, don't tolerate chopping.

This young man won't dishonor his dad by changing wheels.

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

Hmmmm, my house still has the stucco that was placed there around 70 years ago. I did seal and cover the asbestos tiles though.

19. Is your seventy year-old stucco mauve? Point was that mauve was a ubiquitous scourge of the '80s.

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

No. LOL. I know....sorry, really, I'm just being an ass trying to kill time so I can get home and get ready to head to the movies tomorrow.

21. Moonglow

Moonglow

Don't worry, in a hundred years, all new people. :)

22. roddinron

roddinron

HA! Not on this board. Don't you know they're "belly button motors", everyone has one. To be cool you're suppose to spend four times as much to build a motor with 1/4 the horsepower (talk about gold chainers, whose got that kinda money to throw away?). Even though I'll bet more 50's and 60's rods were built with sbc's than all the others combined. I guess sensible decisions aren't cool anymore either, ---it's all so confusing.

23. >>Are we snobs????

Unutterably and indubitably, old chap - but we have the right crowd and no crowding......

25. donnie

donnie
    from NC

I know the answer to this one! :rolleyes:

The one with the pinup draped over it!

26. Racer x

Racer x

Maybe he could put those phony nailhead covers on the V6 and no one would notice! How many traditional late Chevy engines have you seen in poser Ratty rods, Hope your buddy dives the shit out of it and tells the hypocrites to kiss his ass.

I better remove my radial tires right away! and put the traditional points ign back in too.

"REX"

27. When your friend is doing something dumb with his car, and should know better, you need to let him know. That is not quite being a snob.

Now, making fun of 17 year olds who are learning about cars is just wrong.

I have great memories of rodders that I respected giving me suggestions for my POS's, and being cool about it. Those cars were EASY to make fun of. They chose not be be snobs, and it made an impact.

... but I still have some POSs.

28. sledish

sledish

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when it is projected to offend somebody, or just belittle them, then thats not cool. We all talk shit about others cars at shows, its the nature of the beast. But to say it out loud to make yourself look like a badass, just makes you look like an asshole.

29. Lono

Lono

I just attended a car show in B.C. where they closed down the main street. I took my Beck Spyder (one of 3 in Canada.. woohoo, yadda yadda). Next year I'll drag it on 50' style trailor behind my very nasty, rusty and less than perfect 31 5 window.

I plan on parking my ass as close as possible ( within inches) to some F* nuts and their pretty pretty cars. I dropped out of car shows long ago and went to this one for a little fun.. but once again I'm reminded why I really hate pissy people and attitudes.

I kinda lost it on one guy who was looking to pick my car apart with his girlie friend. I stood back for a while, asked him what he drove up in and then asked if we could play " who's got the bigger dick..." I told him I love that game because I win every time! He shut up and wondered away.

Love your car... let others love theirs and stick your ego in your back pocket. I mean I dont see many middle aged rodders racing for slips anymore so put your money where your mouth is or clam it.

30. Firecracker

Firecracker

Honestly, I dont care what kind of wheels are on a car. If those are the ones that he wants on there then he shound keep them. There are a ton of people that don't want billit at shows just because they read it in a magazine or something.