Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Show Rant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeeJay, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

The cruise scene in this area Louisville, Ky is a joke. Most local cruises consist of Gold Chainers and their overweight wives sitting next to their new Corvettes listening to 50's music. Another point is the high entrance fees charged by Greedguy's and the NSRA so they can charge spectators $12 to $22 to look at your car. There's just something wrong with that picture. But then again Greedguy's and the NSRA are in the car show business for one reason and thats to make bags of money, the giveaways are only there to get as many entrants as possible. Another big issue to me about car shows is the ever present dumbasses who manhandle and climb all over the cars we've spent our time and hard earned money on. I can't believe how indignant they get when you ask them to get their paws off the cars. As time goes on I have less and less of a desire to attend any so called car shows. To me driving is the real pleasure of owning an old car.

2. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Our club event is to rent the dragstrip and you run what you brung, Not just a lookie at me show (boring!!)

Find us on the Thompson Raceway park schedule!

I am with Tingler, My favorite part of Cleveland Autorama was driving 30 miles home on dry roads!

Dave

3. SO-AZ

SO-AZ
    from Tucson

The local Buick club doesn't charge for entry to their show. Goody bag includes raffle ticket for free gifts. There is a 50/50 and hamburger stand for the local high school auto shop and drag club. Popular vote, sometimes plaques, homemade trophies and sometimes an envelope. Imagine the surprise when they contained 20's instead of plaques or trophies. The Buick dealer is most generous. Most people are getting burned out on conventional car shows.

4. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

If you are too cheap to go, then don't go... heck, park across the street to avoid the entry fee if you want... Personally, I'm very glad there ARE car events and things to do with old cars... If there were no car shows and cruise nights organized, this whole hobby would fizzle out quickly. Stuff like shows and car cruises gets the cars out for the public to see, gets kids interested, gets other people interested, and creates new enthusiasts that not only appriciate, but understand what the whole thing is about. Usually the people that bitch about a 10.00 entry fee (OK, ALWAYS) are the people who have never tried to organize or put on an event, and think it just happens out of thin air. If I can hang out with other like minded people, see some cool cars, pick up some new ideas and generally have a good time, 10-20 bucks is well worth it. It keeps these type of events happening, and ensures that I'll always have something to do with my cars on a nice sunny weekend in the summer. Sorry if I ruffle any feathers, but thats just my opinion.

5. dubbie

dubbie

my rant is people not explaining to their children that it is a showing of cars and NOT A PLAYGROUND!
    I was always told, hands behind your back and lean if you see something interesting. And dont EVER touch unless the owner says its ok.

6. Havent been to a show in probably ten years. Got tired of hearing 50s music, and just looking at stuff. The drags are more fun, but if I am not running my car I dont go. I guess some people would rather park and socialize and some would rather do something. They call it a cruise but its more of a park or sit. There is so much more to a car in motion, its a visceral experience that cant be achieved by a car with a geezer waxing it and setting up stupid dolls.

What is it with the music anyway? You go to an Airshow and you get 40s music, a car show you get 50s music even when there are no cars there from before 64. Go to the drags and they play 50s music. Like I want to listen to Blue moon 15 times while I am in the pits checking plugs or tire pressures.

I'll pay for a drag race, but I wont pay to show my car. If its at a show it will be in the parking lot.

7. Took my kid to a Father's Day car show at a Chevy dealer in suburban Chicago. Drove in with my Model A coupe, parked in the spectator lot, paid the $5 admission.

Probably 120 cars there, and at least 80% were 2000 or newer Corvettes. I shit you not. Festooned with every retarded car show gew-gaw known to man: time out dolls, tweety birds, Betty Boops, air cleaner turntables with model cars, "kustom" Heartbeat of America floor mats, attended to lovingly by fat fanny-pack 60-something Lawn Chair jockeys who paid $20 to show their cars (in the same lot they probably bought it from three weeks ago).

I looked at my poor kid and realized he was experiencing the same torture I felt when I was a kid, when my grandparents treated me to mandatory viewings of Lawrence Welk.

After 10 minutes we decided to split, and shared a smile when we saw a crowd gathered around the A Coupe in the spectator lot. Fired it up and went on a 50 mile drive to nowhere in particular, and had a grand time.

8. haring

haring

You guys need to get yourselves some vintage scooters.

There is a scooter rally just about every single weekend -- in the tradition of the 3-day-weekender.

$20 generally gets you entry into all the events, free breakfast and BBQ, a t-shirt, embroidered patch, buttons, stickers, free beer, bands and DJs, insane rides at 2:30am, raffle with thousands of dollars worth of cool junk (one of our club members just won a 1958 Series 1 Lambretta in NYC) ... I could go on and on.

The only problem with this scenario is that you have to hang out with scooterists.

But they do like to drink like fish.

If anyone wants to come hang out in Philly this weekend, we're putting on a good show.

9. Yeah, heaven forbid you actually USE the thing like a car?:D

Attached Files:

10. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I have a ton of things to say about this thread but I won't bore you with that. My big gripe is around here (W.V.) they charge you $5/$10 bucks to park your car at a cruise night, what's up with that?

11. What is sick is that Welk did the same thing to me as a kid and now we leave it on Sat night on PBS:eek: Even 5 month old Torin digs the garish outfits and horn section..........oye vey!

12. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

A-one-a and a-two-a...

I dug the bubbles at the beginning of the show, man.

Most shows ARE pretty dullesville - even shows I like don't hold my interest very long. Fun? A swap meet or an old junkyard; pickin' thru treasure is the shit.

I think to pay these days, I need to have the following:
    • live music
    • beer
    • something for the kids do do besides fat finger my car
    • a swap meet
    • some sorta car related activity (vintage drags?)
    I've worked a bunch of shows over the years, and the BEST part wasn't the show itself - it was the iron rollin' in at 7:00AM. What good is a hot flattie if you can't hear it?

I also think a combination car/art show would be cool - would be neat to get guys like Norwell, Tingler, etc. in one place to display their 'wares' alongside some tightly executed rods.

Just a thought.

13. Dirk35

Dirk35

Im with the majority here on this subject. You can usually see either my 1935 PU or my 1934 Sedan here at my work on a sunny day, but the only car Ive only entered in a show was a buddy's Bone Stock 1930 A Coupe at a free show. We parked it and left. Came back four hours later and there was a brand new Summit Brand Battery box in the seat that apparently we won. :D

I take my 97 Explorer to car shows. I also dont have a problem driving one of my Rods to the show and parking it outside and walking in. They go to Wal Mart for Groceries and to whatever store I need to hit when running errands, but yet to have ever paid to park at a show. Go Figure.

Im not opposed to car shows, just never really done it. I think Im really just lazy.

14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

What a coincidence we have this thread and the "Does your club charge annual dues" thread on the same page. So, some people won't pay to enter a car show, others would rather pay dues to a club, and others still that won't pay for anything. The reasoning is widely varied, but it's a crack up reading how people justify paying or not.

15. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

i do not mind paying up to $10 for a show if it's for a real charity. sunday i'm doing an $8 sunday afternoon show that benefits the vietnam veterans assoc.

but if it's just a place charging for the sake of making a buck i don't need anything to do with them.

16. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Last summer, the online Ford club that I co-own put on a car show at the dealership that I drive for. We found our own sponsors, scored many donations of door prizes, sold event t-shirts and my buddy even built some nice trophies. There was no entry fee, we did do a 50/50 with all proceeds going to the American Kidney Foundation. One of the Ford store's salesmen sold pop with a small kickback to add to our donation. All in all, everyone had a good time and the show was very successful. But it was more work putting this together than I'd want to do again..:)

Truthfully, I did the local cruise night/show deal two summers ago and had NO fun! I'd pay an entry or judged fee only if the cash was going to a legit charity. The same cars show up everywhere around here and I never mastered the knack of sitting in a foldup chair next to my beat up '64 Ford and have the gold chainers run it down....:mad: The ONLY fun that I found in this was having friends come along to BS with. Listening to people bitch because they didn't win a two buck trophy, attitudes and all the rest of the crap turned me off to the point that I'd rather just drive my car and enjoy.

Jan

17. Heheh! I have to admit I used to get an occasional chubby from the Lennon Sisters.

My boy (11) is totally into cars. Right now it's tuners and drifters and all that import stuff. But he genuinely likes it, and I figure he -- like a lot of car crazy kids -- will eventually come around to hot rods. One of the main impediments to that happening is that the typical soda pop Krooz-In-Nite or fairgrounds show reinforces the message that hot rods are things that sad grumpy old men drive 3 mph around parking lots, rather than something cool and fast and badass.

18. First off, I drive my cars daily so they all have road rash and parking lot hickies. I do attend select car shows because of what they are supporting (certain charities, orphan homes, etc.) but I am selective about it.

Our club hosts the July fourth show in Bethany, OK and while there is an entry fee we do our best to insure theat participants get something for their money. Club members canvas local businesses for door prizes and sponsorship to control costs. We use "5 ball" judging and member cars are ther for display only and aren't eligible for prizes. Each person who enters their car draws labelled 5 ping pong balls from a bucket which determines which classes that person judges and you can't judge the class in which your car is entered. This insures that judging is as fair as possible and the club members don't go home with the trophies like some shows I have been to.

We do charge entry fees but the profits are used to support a local childrens home and other charitible organizations.

Car shows aren't for everyone but that is what makes living in the USA great. If you don't like them you aren't forced to go to them...

19. Mike

Mike

So, you oughtta go ahead and put the time in to throw your own car show, pay all the expenses out of your own pocket and then don't charge anybody to attend. Simple.:rolleyes:

20. STAGE A CAR SHOW BOYCOTT! PICKET LINES! "HELL NO WE WON'T PAY TO SHOW!"

I asked the lady at the sign in table (politely) "Why don't you guys pay me to show my car??"

She replied, "well, if you don't pay the 25 bucks you won't get to park in here and have a chance to recieve a trophy"

Wow. Like I care about a $2 plaque that says some goldchainer approves of my work.

However... I don't mind paying the entry for goodguys, NSRA, or LA Roadsters or big stuff like that. They spend the money to have a nice venue and good door prizes, and lots of nice cars worth looking at!! No corvette clubs, etc...

I won $400 worth of assorted door prizes at the NSRA event in Oklahoma City.. worth the $25 entry fee..

21. Snarl

Snarl

Seems to me, looking at it like your paying to show your car isn't the right approach. Your paying to see and experience everything else, just like any spectator. And thats about it. If the potential enjoyment of a certain show is worth the cost to you, then go. to each their own.

Granted, some shows are probably gouging, but it does cost money to put on an event. How many of you are willing to put up several thousand dollars out of pocket just to sponsor an event for a bunch of people you don't know, just so there is no admission fee?

22. flat_mountain

flat_mountain

I used to go to very local show and cruise in EVERY weekend up until about 4 years ago. It got to where even the people that you knew would snub their nose at what you were driving at the time. Heaven forbid you didn't wash your primered, daily driven hotrod before parking it next to their once-a-week, rubbed with a diaper, bright pastel fagmobiles.

I designed the logo for what was (might still be, I don't follow it anymore) the biggest so called street rod club in North Florida for FREE and was told I couldn't even buy one of their shirts (I like having prints of my art, even the one's that aren't really good) as I wasn't a member. Since my car was "too new" (I had a '50 Ford), I didn't qualify for membership. They didn't mind hasseling the hell out people to help support their club at events though.

I guess the thing that really turned me off was seeing the elitist attitudes of most of the show promoters and judges. I was at a show where a finished car that won "best under construction" actually had a streak of rattle can primer applied to it the day of the show in order to qualify. Made me sick, considering all of the other cars that were legitimately being worked on that weren't even considered.

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

It's obvious you've never put on a show and have no clue how much it costs to do so. We've never profited from the Pileup. We reinvest whatever we have leftover into the next year's show and hold a bit extra in case the weather is so bad and no one shows up. We still have to pay the bands, fairgrounds, portapotties, etc whether or not anyone shows up. After 5 years, we finally have a surplus, which we're donating to charity.

24. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Nice 2nd post, BeeJay.

Let us know how your free car show turns out. I'm sure it'll be an annual event.

25. kentucky

kentucky

Our firefighter's association is hosting a cruise in this year (July 3). There will be no entrance fee, just a few boots here and there in case anyone wants to donate to our charity which helps people who have lost everything in a fire get going again. I can see paying to get into a big show or a really good show that requires a lot of logistics(bands, porta potties etc...) but not for a cruise in.

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm suprised that nobody mentioned the $5 Hot Dog and the $3 bottle of water at Greedguy's and NSRA events. I've heard many GG vendors have pulled out of their events due to them raking in 1/3 of the vendors profit. Not sure about the NSRA's percentage of their take but I'm sure its about the same as GG. This whole food vendor rip off makes it a good reason to go to Evansville, IN for the Frog Follies where you can still get a $1.50 Cheeeseburger and a $.75 Soda. Not only that, their proceeds go to charity. There's no earthly reason for a $5 Hot Dog except to line someones pocket with your money. Both GG and the NSRA don't mind putting sand in the KY Jelly.

27. wvenfield

wvenfield

Doesn't cost much to print up a few fliers telling those with cars to meet on X/XX at the defunct Dept Store parking lot for a get together.

Toss the hat if you have a charity you wish to support. I'll toss in a few bucks.

28. chopped

chopped

I don't think anyone is talking about a real show like you put on. It"s the guy who want's to send his kid to baseball camp and want's someone else to pay.

29. chuck fahr

chuck fahr
    from s.w. wis.

Joecool you'r a smart man!
    chuck

30. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Yeah, but that defunct Dept store property still belongas to someone and that requires liability coverage for your get together. Get caught operating without permission and you'll see what happens. Most don't realize what goes into having a show or just a cruise-in. My club puts on a cruise every Friday and its free to all. But what most don't know is the club pays all the expences to operate it. Insurance, donation to the favorite charity of the property owner, water, sewer, electricity etc.