Register now to get rid of these ads!

DP90 with a PPG flat clearcoat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louder50, Jun 24, 2007.

1. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

I am getting ready to paint my car and keep hearing bad things about Hot Rod Flatz, which is what I was going to use. I am leaning towards just laying down DP90 with a PPG Flat clear, not sure what the number is? If anybody has done this, can you tell me how it has held up and how it turned out?

2. evilone0528

evilone0528

I am sure there will be lots of people to disagree with me,but IMO,thats a bad idea.I own a body shop and have a fairly good idea of what it takes to paint a car.I dont think the clear would stick to the DP90 for very long.

I do have several diffrent solutions tho.The first,and probably the cheapest,is to prime it with black epoxy from Southern Pollyurathans Inc.I know the owner of the company well.They make a first rate product,and it is priced affordable.I primed a 48 dodge with it last year,and it looks killer to this day.

The second is spray it with some flattened single stage,PPG makes a SS you can flatten and it works well also.It is also not near as expensive as clear.The problem with this is you will need to prep the car as if you were gonna paint it.

The third and final soloution is to prime the car,block it,base it,and spray flattened clear on it,but if you were gonna do all that work,why not just make it shine?

I hope that helps!

EVIL

3. BAD MOJO

BAD MOJO

yes it works my truck has been painted for 2 years now with dp90 with a ppg 2060 satin clearcoat this will leave a semiflat finish

4. Degreaser

Degreaser

Another bitch is you can't sand/buff a matte clear, unless you want it to be shiny.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm just wondering why you think one form of epoxy primer would take the clear better than the other.... Hmmmm inquiring minds want to know.

6. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

It'll work fine, just do everything like you'd normally do a bc/cc paintjob and just skip the basecoat step.

7. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

This truck has DP90 with flat clear, I think it was DCU-2060. I painted it 7 years ago, has held up very well.

Attached Files:

• 1881.jpg
      1881.jpg
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1859.jpg
      1859.jpg
      File size:
      78.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Chad s

Chad s

If you plan on spraying a flattened clear cote, why not just use a bb/cc system? I think PPG black basecoat will be cheaper than DP90(not 100% sure), and if you use a bb/cc system, you know its going to work, as it was designed to by the chemists at whatever brand you go with.

9. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

there are different ways to get the same effect, maybe he doesn't want to spend the money on a black base when everything is already black, as long as the DP isn't streaky, blotchy, and shit he shouldn't have an issue. You could use the Hot Rod Flatz paint as well, it'll probaly be similarly priced to the ppg flat clear (maybe cheaper actually).

10. hollywud

hollywud

I hate to Hijack but I have a question as well...I have the PPG flat clear on my Buick, Is there something I can do to get the shiny spots off of it from wear and tear? I.E. kids rubbing against it..shit getting set on it in the garage...Etc.....

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I would also say to use a basecoat rather than DP90. I would also add that 2060 is OK if you're looking for a semi-gloss. I've used both the 2060 and a regular clear with DX685 flattening agent mixed in and I like the latter. It gives you more control over the gloss range and is the only way to get a truly flat, no-gloss, finish.

12. Comet Cleanser.

13. evilone0528

evilone0528

I dont think clear would stick to any epoxy in the long run.I was recomending using the black SPI epoxy as a top coat.But,it seems several people have done it and it worked out for them.

Just for shits and grins,Ill ask my buddy who designs all the paints for SPI,to give me a scientific reason why it will or will not work.

EVIL

14. evilone0528

evilone0528

For that matter you could probably use Omni black base coat and still be within warranty!:D

EVIL

15. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

basecoat it and leave it.

16. Glen

Glen

just use the flattening agent with bc/cc, like mentioned above. The spec sheet even tells you how to mix it for semi-gloss, semi-flat etc.

this was painted with PPG dg9700 base coat and I added PPG D759 flattening agent

[​IMG]

17. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

you can use the dp90 and clear over it, but it will not last 50 years like a base/clear would, not that it matters though, If your car is straight then spend a few extra dollars on black base and regular clear and make it shine, if not you could do the dp90 and flat clear, also if the car doesn't get driven daily just use the dp90 and use pledge to keep it from fading, I have done this before and it works great if the car isn't always in the rain

18. fugness

fugness

hmmmm, interesting, you guys are doing this all wrong!!!!!

i once painted a car with flat black exterior house paint, cost me 20 bucks, lasted for 5 years, took me like 1 week to get it off, it stuck like s**t to a blanket!! hahah

19. 375instroke

375instroke
    from seattle,wa

Why do you want to use clear? Why not paint or flattened paint?

20. lehr

lehr

John Deere blitz black , lays out nice , single stage , holds up good, cheep as hell !

21. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

and its oil based and you will have problems putting a solvent based urethane over it anytime in the future.... but if you dont want to ever paint it right then by all means...

22. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

I'm actually leaning towards the JD Blitz Black. Alot of people have said how easy it goes on and how durable it is, those are strong arguments for using it in my book. I will be painting the car in my driveway or maybe in the dirty ass garage. I've never painted a car before so I am afraid to attempt any kind of BC/CC glossy finish at all. I would love to paint the car gloss black but I know my first attempt would look like dogshit so I may just go with the tractor paint. I am going to drive the car everyday there isn't salt on the ground (snow, ice, sleet) here in Michigan.