Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does this look like F@#$%^& junk......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinister13, Jun 24, 2007.

1. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

YES SIR !! I AM WITH SAM I AM....

THESE 30's~40's TRUCKS SHOULD NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THERE FENDERS.... in my opinion

2. mr. dick

mr. dick
    from New York

Cool truck...Id drive it, screw what people say.

Mr. Dick

3. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">My flatty powered '34 pickup was finished to the same degree as yours. When I would show up at a cruise the 65 yr. old+ crowd would look me straight in the eye and say,

"Don't touch it, this IS the way it was. As far as I am concerned this IS the only hotrod here"

To me they are the ultimate judge of our creations, besides how could we ever argue with them?
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Sam said EXACTLY what I was thinking. The majority of people do not know what the term ratrod means. You can add yourself to the list. ..and I'm not jealous , clueless , stupid or think I'm being funny.

I'd like to add to Sam's list:

Dented headers
    ALTERNATOR hanging 8 feet out the side.
    The dead cab lights

5. tommy v

tommy v

right now it's a RAT ROD

6. I see a few parts that are cool. Why don't you pull them off and put them on a hot rod?

Notice that a lot of the guys who support what you've done have Rat in their names? Is that a hint?

7. JamesG

JamesG

8. sinister13

sinister13

criticism is good, cause some good will come out of it later, so thanks for the comments. this is why I wanted to ask. as not to make it to lengthy earlier i left out parts like, yes i know it looks very unfinished, yes i do have a nice grill, but it gets bent up from being to low so a chopped one is in the works, yes there is cab lights that shoud of been off already, the tunnel isnt done yet, the brake line is NOT going to stay like that and niether is the front spring. I started this thing last summer, I work out of town all week every week, I only get to work on it during the weekends and you guys know what its like, i got it to hte point where i could drive it and couldnt resist. there will be a bed floor out of wood, i have guages but have to make a panel for them and the list goes on. havent got the door to latch on that side yet. mostly i guess that when i see a thrown together car, it looks like a thrown together car, right now yeah i spose the body makes it look shitty, but if you look enough you can tell that its not just thrown together right? thanks guys and yes i did ask for it.

9. 41 C28

41 C28

I tell people when they call my roadster a "Rat Rod" is no, I like fancy things like floors in my car. And as for the question of "how fast will it go" I just tell em it will go faster than I'll drive it.

10. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

haaaaaaaaaa now that is funnaaayy right thar'! Thanks Hatch!

I like the truck, but its still a rat rod.

11. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

dont worry what people say, its yours, just toss a slow moving vehicle sign on the tailgate and call it a farm truck...

12. Uptown83

Uptown83

Good looking truck! Sandblast and shoot some primer?

13. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Just enjoy your truck, Sinister..:) I like it just as it is for now. The term Rat Rod is now in common usage by the general public and they apply it to many rods that aren't. In fact, the publics' and even some wanna be rodders' perception of what a true hot rod is is so screwed up that I don't do cruises and such. I hate walking around pissed off!

Jan

14. sinister13

sinister13

caddy or olds, but it still might get chopped 2"

15. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

You take for granted that the masses know cars..This is what they learn on the discovery channel.

I can totally see why they would call it a rat rod, but on the other hand I can see an awesome truck when you get it done.

Personally, I can relate. I'm so sick of people asking when I'm going to paint my merc....Life is just totally in the way right now.

Hang in there.

Bill

16. sinister13

sinister13

THESE 30's~40's TRUCKS SHOULD NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THERE FENDERS.... in my opinion[/quote]

Ok but since i wasnt alive then, maybe people said the same thing about all the fenderless coupes that started it all back then?

17. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

I've found that the term "rat rod" is used by people as much as "muscle car" to describe a certain type of vehicle. To the majority as long as it is in primer it's a rat rod. I don't care for the term but I don't get all bent outta' shape when I hear it. Hell ,people call my '57 Chevy a rat rod, must be the primer... People just don't know. If I ranted on here every time about how someone called my car a '55 '56 or '58 and how fuc*ing stupid they are, there would be no bandwidth left.:D
    my .02

cool truck by the way.:)

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Sorry to say the truck screams out rat rod shitbox till you look at it closely. Stand back and take a look at it yourself. The headers, therusted off bottom of the grille and shell, and the lack of a floor for example.
    When you look at it closely, there's some nice engineering and first class fabrication happening there.
    I'm with Tingler on this one. Clean it up and finish it. That rusty and proud of it shit is dead.
    You obviously have first rate skills, good luck

19. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

to answer your initial question ...as it sits now, yes!

Personally, criticism is only good if taken in a positive manner and something positive is done with it:)

when you drive your truck out in public like that, your just asking for people to question it, because it does look interesting. You can't expect eveyone to know what your up to, what you have planned, where your at with the build or what's on your mind, so your gonna get all these "un-informed" questioning about your ride in which you call stupidity.

Your doing exactly what you wanted ...and that's for people to notice your truck:)

Looks like you have a nice truck in the making, congrats and enjoy your ride!

rjgideon likes this.
  20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Looks like the work that was done is very good,,the frame took some thought and talent,,seems like a few different trains of thought ,,but not at all just crap thrown together,,a nice lil car

21. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Who cares what stupid society thinks? In my OPINION there is somethings that would catergorize it ass a "rat rod" to some people and there is somethings on your truck like your frame/s, rail/s in the rear wich looks like some pretty nice work that you would see on some nicer hot rods. If I saw your truck I would think a work in progress. The problem is there is alot of guys out there that get thier rides to this point and just quit for some reason, not saying your one of them.

22. sinister13

sinister13

its all true, and i'm not really pissed off when they say that, i more posted to see if you guys could see behind the rust to what i have actually done and not what mother nature did....or if i am on the wrong track (first build, might need help) to what will be finished.
    OH yeah like Groucho said, if you put the F word in your title you get a bunch of responses.

23. Sinister13... You're a good sport, and sound like a cool guy that any one of us would like to hang out with!

On a positive note, your truck does make a statement, and has a stance that looks better than most "Rudy Trucks"... and if you're having fun, keep-on-keepin'-on!

There are people who say "who cares" and "just drive it" and "fuck labels"... but then they get upset when someone mislabels a car! I don't get it (them).

As soon as a certain genre of car pops up, it's the responsibility of the people who build them to promote, and dispell the genre.

What we have here on the HAMB are two (probably more) distinctly different genres of hot rod. The two types of cars, and the people who build them enjoy a certain amount of compatability, and "co-existance"... that is the "RAT ROD" and the "TRADITIONAL HOT ROD", and builders et al.

They both have some similarities.

They both have a following that is "into them" for the same reasons.

Their "following" (you and I) also have MANY more things in common, than not.

Some builders combine styling cues from each genre to build cars that are very unique and are at the forefront of the trend.

The RAT ROD is more of an exercise in creativity, and expression... not to mention a thumbing your nose at the car hobby in general.

The TRADITIONAL HOT ROD is more of an exercise in correctness and restoration. The creative aspect is how he or she executes the compilation of all the "correct" parts.

A Traditional Hot Rod is creative to about the same extent that a RAT ROD is correct.

And more importantly, one isn't any better than the other... it's a matter of choice.

So... keep on building and having fun... I like what you're on to, and with a few things tidied up, you'll have a bitchen Rat Rod!

Sam.

24. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Ok but since i wasnt alive then, maybe people said the same thing about all the fenderless coupes that started it all back then?[/quote]

YOU COULD BE RIGHT !! IM JUST SAYIN, FOR ME, THE BIG ROUNDNESS OF THESE STYLE TRUCKS DONT LEND THEMSELVES TO FENDERLESS.

THERE HAVE BEEN A HANDFULL DONE WELL, BUT THE MAJORITY LOOK BAD, GOOD WORKMANSHIP OR NOT.

IM IN THE SAME BOAT AS YOU IN A WAY..... PEOPLE CALL MY SPORT COUPE A RAT ROD, BUT ITS REALLY A PAINT JOB AWAY FROM A REALLY NICE WELL DONE TRADITIONAL CAR.

I EVEN HAVE TO DEAL WITH A SELECT BUNCH OF HAMB'ERS THAT THINK THAT CUS IM FROM So. Cal. THAT I AM SOME SORT OF RICH GUY TRYING TO JUMP ON THE BAND WAGON....

NOTICE ** NOT EVERY GUY FROM So.Cal. RICH & HAS TIES WITH BIG NAME PEOPLE TO HELP & USE THERE SHOP OR FUND THEM SO WE CAN HAVE A TV SHOW SOON ! :D

25. sinister13

sinister13

Thanks Sam, and the lights are coming down today, christmas was over 7 mths ago:D

26. The most collest thing about what you're doing is that you're doing what very few of the people on here are doing, and that is, you're driving a hot rod you built yourself.

Sam.

27. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

tell that dimwit - "I guess you don't REALLY have to know cars to work here, eh?"

Ask him how he likes having to comply with smog checks on a regular basis - ask him how he likes having to take his riceburner to the dealer to get most problems fixed - ask him how it feels to drive something you're going to see at every stoplight - ask him why he wants to know - ask him to show you his manicured nails and unscarred knuckles - ask him when HE's going to be a 'car guy'.

"I may be worn, but baby I ain't worn out...let me take you for a ride and I'll show you what I'm talkin' about"

dj

28. sinister13

sinister13

IM IN THE SAME BOAT AS YOU IN A WAY..... PEOPLE CALL MY SPORT COUPE A RAT ROD, BUT ITS REALLY A PAINT JOB AWAY FROM A REALLY NICE WELL DONE TRADITIONAL CAR.

some day man, same here. I really want a coupe like every body else. what is easy about these trucks( and i agree that not EVERY one looks right without fenders) is that especially around here in the midwest, these trucks are prevalent and really cheap, more so if your a first timer and dont want to hack up a model A. hey atleast i have enough sense to get some practice right?:D
    oh and my elbows are outta grease where do i get more:confused:

29. sinister13

sinister13

thats why i couldnt wait to drive it, ratty as it may be right now. one positive thing is that as it gets nicer people will see as to how much work goes into this stuff.

30. rixrex

rixrex

I like your truck...ignoring people is the best revenge