Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting my first real car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodToomer, Jun 23, 2007.

1. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

i got it today, ive been working on it all day.
    ill post some more pictures of whats different now tomarrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

for $2,000 a set of old chrome 15" rims and tires, and a MTX amp, you cant beat that for a running beast of a truck.

3. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

is it a stock suspension? you can get a disk brake kit for them if thats something you want, we do need to see some pictures of the truck anyways!

4. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

stock fron I-beam, stock rear end with leafs, missing rear shocks, and its got coil overs on the front with the leafs, yeah, brakes are around town deals, no trips, id upgrade them quick, im gonna try the local junkyard, any ideas for a swap from anyone would be apreciated.
    belive me, monday when i get it im putting them up ASAP!

5. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

it also needs new tires, the WWW on it now are way to skinny and cant take the tourqe from the engine.

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

Yea, top fuel trucks get all crazy on the white walls. Torque monsters! Whew.....

7. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

its almost scary, but being on the edge of crazy isnt so bad. it just needs som more robust rear tires, pie crust cheater slicks probaly. i mean it hooks now but you gotta be gentel with the pedal, who wants that.

8. What kind of tranny?

9. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

if you leave the stock front suspension you'll have to purchase a basic kit that is the wheel bearing adaptor and caliper bracket to put on disc brakes as far as I know, but once you got that stuff you can scrounge the autowreckers for the rotors and calipers

10. I think you meant TH400, the strongest tranny on the planet, 30 horse penalty is well worth it!

11. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

yep, thats what i meant, TH400, when your tired and try to type its not pretty.
    yeah, the brakes work, but its got a single piston master cylinder and stock drums all around, parts of the lines are new and some look stock. its just something that if i lay into the engine hard, whick i know i will one point or another, i wanna be able to bring it back down.

12. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Man, I gotta get some pics of this. I have never seen single piston calipers used with drums. Guy who built it must have been one hell of a fabricator! Sounds like you got a deal!

13. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

see what i said about being tired and typing, master cylinder is what i meant. i was looking at brakes for my 95' daliy and i typed what i was thinking.

14. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

15. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

down payments in, extra parts being rounded up, and the trucks all ready to go, tomarrow is gonna be a great day indeed. im gonna get as mank pics as i can of it but not in the way people with the lesser internet connections will shit a brick.

16. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

that's a hell of a good truck for the price.
    from what i've read though,you should really upgrade your brakes :eek:

17. alleyoop

alleyoop

Nice truck and a good deal,from what you say its going to be nicer. alleyoop

18. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

hey, it was either an old ride of rebuilding the engine in my 95', i made the better choice i think.
    yeah, the brakes are OK, i mean i got stupid in the driveway and brake tourqed it and it held the thing back with little effort, but the master cylender leaks and the lines have a bit of surface rust. its an around town deal till i get it highway worthy in my mind.
    i've alread got parts all put back on it, wires redone and parts repainted since i took thouse pictures, and more is to come.
    i just need to find a bumper to fit the front now.

19. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I keep hearing the music from Sanford and son.
    Is that Freds old truck?...................just kidding.
    Slam that bad boy and put your own personal twist of a shop truck logo on the doors.

You could cut the end of frame horns off and go bumperless????????

21. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

You dig dummy! haha.
    yeah, i would run without a bumper, but some reason i just like the look of a front bumper more, its more work sinc the horns are covered in weld but it will look good at the end.

22. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Looks killer...but with a big block, I wouldn't fuck with the stock brakes too much...they were meant to reel in what...something like 100 horsepower?

I forsee a disc brake upgrade in your future...

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Who's ON the gas when slowing down?????
    I don't think the brakes know what engine it has when slowing down form 50-60mph.......:p
    I'll bet that BB weighs similar to what the original flatty did.....:D

Cool truck, I'd never guess by looking at it that'd have a BBC.....SLEEPER!

24. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

25. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

yeah, i took it for a illegal spin, (no plates or brake lights), and it stops hard, i mean that pedal shows no mercy twards the driver, its as solid as a rock but yeah, better brakes are soon.
    here's what it looks like now after a few things added that were piled in the bed. and som red metal flake on the dash and tailgate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  26. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

i want to know what you guys think of the silver rear bumper, i did it just for whatever and i dont know what i think.

27. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

im sure someone knows the fun with missing a window and rain comming.

28. I think the bumper would look better if it were gone...:D

29. This tells me you have the wrong master cylinder bore size.............

30. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

well the brakes are orriginal, the only thing done was a few parts of the lines by one of the previous owners. that couldnt of helped any.
    thats a hand made bumper out of 1/2 inch steel. its a beautiful piece because of the ammount of high quality welds on it, i cant bring myself to take it off, but i want it too look good if its gonna stay on there.