Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 olds electronic ignition conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodj54, Jun 8, 2007.

1. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

any one know if there is a conversion kit for electronic ignition for a 53 olds 303?

2. asher

asher

Pertronix is what i put in my 51 Buick. Its electronic points.

3. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

hey guys, i tried going threw pertronix but there was no listing for that. i figured they of anyone might but i couldent find any thing

4. 265glide

265glide

H/R,
    I have a Pertronics conversion in a vette dist.I just bought.The module is #22V-V4 and the mount plate is#1182d.If memory serves the early GM 8 cyl.engines,49 to 56 used the same point set,so this should fit? I don't have any pertronics experience,so mostly a guess.
    Also I think electronic ignitions do not like voltage fluctuations from a generator/regulator set up.OOPS,the dist.mentioned above is early vette dual point,55 thru 60's style:eek:
    Hope the part# helps.
    glider.

5. 265glide

265glide

H/R,
    Tried Pertronics/points swap and it will NOT work.Pertronics mount plate is to long,it overlaps the vac. advance connection and the point plate connector.Sorry for bad info.
    glider:eek:

6. Brianhulud

Brianhulud

7. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

I installed the Pertronix 1183 (pretty sure that was the part number) and Blaster coil in my 1953 Cadillac...

8. Ole don

Ole don

I run a Pertronix in a Y block along with the coil they recomend for it. It works great. If the dizzy is in good shape, and the curve is correct for the engine, it will be one of the best hundred you ever spend on the car.

9. taxirod

taxirod
    from Georgia

You can also check into the Crane XR700-xxxx (used to be Allison?)and the MSD 6A set ups. The Pertronix is a magnetic Hall effect type and the Crane is an optical shutter. Both those replace the points. The MSD keeps the points but the points are only used to trigger the capacitance discharge ignition. The first two run about $100+ without a coil. Add $40+ for a hi-perf. coil. The MSD will run $185 and up. I'm getting ready to convert my Continental OHV 226 straight six (Prestolite IAT4406 dizzy), and will probably use the Crane, as it is a universal fit and easy to install. I couldn't cross-ref. the IAT 4406 to any one Pertronix kit (Hudson and Chrysler and agricultural/industrial engines were possibles). I've looked at a lot of enthusiast sites concerning these three kits, and the Pertronix seems to have some major reliability issues. You gotta do your homework tho, don't rely on my judgement. Just giving you some extra to think about.

10. taxirod

taxirod
    from Georgia

Oh, by the way, you mentioned voltage fluncs. The Crane will run as low as 5v up to 18v, with 7 to 12 the ideal. You should check your ballast resistor (Read closely! It is very important.) as per their instructions and replace it if it isn't up to par. I think I read the other two might be a bit more voltage sensitive. I've got a generator on my 226, and I'm not expecting any problems. I'll eventually install a one-wire alternator, but I'm using the 44 year old setup I have right now.