Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jimmy Shines TV show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blkf250diesel, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Ain't that the truth!

I thought here comes another "big hat,big ego" kind of show.

"MY way or the highway"? Why can't we have a show without all the
    theatrics?

2. 8flat

8flat

http://www.beyondusa.com/shine/main/Site/Shine.html

Gotta admit, it would be a fun 6 months....a guy from the same small town as me moved from Montana to work for Foose, has a blast down there, it opens up a lot of opportunities.

edit: I didn't catch those dates, that description is from last year, so I don't know if that's a good link, but it came from TLC's website about the show....

3. boozoo

boozoo

Yo daddy

Didn't your Momma tell you?

4. ig'nant

ig'nant

I'm just glad it'll be something new and hopefully different.

I love Chip and all, but if I see another two-tone or Mustang with stripes I'm gonna say fuckit and watch Mythbusters.

I'm not even going to say the "B" word.

Corny as it was, sometimes Monster Garage had moments of greatness, and it's gone.

There's room for something new, and there's plenty of Shine's stuff that I've really liked. So if there's any way they can do a car show without the "deadline is driving the team to the breaking point" bullshit, I think we might be ok.

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Dave(Littleman) isn't from Cali........:p
    I hope HE does well, although I won't be watching, my antenna doesn't pick it up.....:cool:

6. 8flat

8flat

I hear ya. I keep wondering when they're going to start building more traditional cars.....they're still stuck in that high-tech rut. IFS on an open wheel car is just too much any more....

7. Steve

Steve

damn when I met him he was real friendly, just wanted to shoot the shit about cars like everyone else. Didn't seem like he had an attitude at all like you are implying.

8. Brewton

Brewton

This should be good, if the TV powers that be - don't make it into a super drama.

9. Yup, same here.............ask me at MOKAN

10. Bert

Bert

we seem to be getting lots of work/growth in our film industry over here............they filmed a series on marylin monroe over here in melbourne, in footscray, where alot of the housing looks very much american....the kids film, charlots web, was filmed in a small country town not far from where I live......that ghostrider/nicholas cage film was also filmed in here in melbourne australia.....I think its cheaper to get it done here and we have the talent and technology to do so.........I reckon you guys need to come on over too and enjoy the rod related scenery......:) ....Bert

11. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

This why Dave didn't want to post about it right away...

I'm not a fan of Jimmy but I really respect his work and talent to build
    some cool shit..

if you go into it hating well most likly you will hate it,,but we should watch it
    before being critics.

I'm sure if Shine came on here every one would be on His Balls about
    how cool his truck is and how good looking he is,,, It happend with Jesse..
    Remeber? we all hated Jesse then when he posted every one was on his jock..

I watch all those shows,,and i don't like every thing they do but atleast it has Old cars and some sorta building,,

I think it will do well,,,I've heard alot about the stuff Littleman got to do and work on and it seem like he had a blast..Every show has it's drama..thats what America wants!!

But I would wait till you actully watch the show before hating.

"My way or the Highway" Jimmy Shine 2007....hahahahahaha

12. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

BERT,
    It is Tempting i'll tell ya........ BUT you guys have wayyy to many wild rules about modified cars on yer highways !!

13. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

If you believe EVERYTHING you read or other people's opinions I'd be a cranky 75-year old, 400lb. street rodding gold-chainer. That's only PARTIALLY true! ;)

Jimmy is a great guy who I have known since his early days with Pete Chapouris. He has always been super friendly- but I can understand him being a little stand-offish these days with people treating him like a rockstar and getting overly excited when they meet him. He's the real deal and a true talent. That causes jealousy from guys without that talent and then you become a target for intense scrutiny from people looking for flaws. He was doing this before most of the crap talkers had their first mini truck- and he will be doing it LONGGG after they move on to their next 5 hobbies.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Uhhhh.... Are we reading the same forum?

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My Take:

1. I don't know Shine, but had a very cordial conversation with him through email a few months ago. In it, he mentioned he very much respected the H.A.M.B.

2. He did talk a little trash about the H.A.M.B., its members, and me personally... I've done silly stuff like that before and Coop taught me a good lesson - people do dumb stuff sometimes. Forgive and forget.

3. Littleman is absolutely golden... He can go play Bozo the Clown on TNN for all I care - I'll still love him cuz of all the great content he has provided us through the years. That guy has REAL talent.

All that said, my original premise for all of these shows remains... I think Jesse pioneered them and good for him - he got lots of Jack and deserved every bit of it. Frankly though, these coat tail shows embarrass me... for lots of reasons...

------------
    Added:

Historically, shops that do these shows get a ton of recognition from the mainstream in exchange for some equity taken away from the markets they actually live in.

JJ gave up his passion.

OCC gave up their dignity.

Boyd Coddington gave up his legitimacy.

Personally, I think SoCal is a strong enough brand to stay true but I don't think this will all be for free...

16. chopped

chopped

Word for word what I was thinking when I read that.

17. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Evel, funny you should mention JJ. I think that I'm the only HAMBer who didn't post on any of his threads.

I'll not only be watching Hard Shine, but it'll be on my big screen with the surround sound cranked and a couple other HAMBers invited too.

Vance

18. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I'm glad this was the VERY FIRST ever message board because the rest have ALL sucked- and the ones yet to be made will suck too. (forgot the smiley face to indicate sarcasm) ;)

And YES, people do stupid things- I'm the PRIME example.

19. 53chevy

53chevy

These shows are great for "TV sake". I don't know Littleman and after watching his piece on MFS, you felt the genuine sense of who he was. Take away the great Hot Rods that he's built and I'd still have a beer with him. Good Luck!

I heard before they start each show, Jimmy must of a grande latte with 1% milk, light whip, and cinnamon sprinkled on top or else....

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I could think about a thousand people I would rather watch build a rod, and about two thousand more I'd rather not watch. Could be worse, I mean we could be stuck with MORE re-runs of american chopper late at night. But what the hell do I know. I'm just a Young Gun!

21. sodas38

sodas38

And here I thought Macguire did it with "Car Crazy"

I'll be TIVO the Shine show....I'm a sucker for anything car related.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

And this is a pretty good point too... I mean, watching a reality show where you get to see cars is better than watching a reality show full of bad singers... right?

In the end all of this banter is just that... valueless banter... mine included... We haven't even seen the show.

23. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

personally im tired of all these shows...i dont care who you are there getiing old ! IMO

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

T.V. shows, reality? or not, are strictly entertainment......I prefer to get my entertainment behind the wheel.........

25. what fenders

what fenders

Will I watch yes will i be a fan i don't know.

26. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

I'm with Ryan...I'd rather watch shows with cars and hot rods than bad singers and housewives. I watch all the car shows and enjoy all of them. Sometimes they're inspirational, sometimes they make me say WTF, and above all they get us all talking about it!!

I've never met Jimmy, but there was a 2-part show on TLC called Hot Rod Build Off....not sure how many saw it, but I liked his attitude and approach to the build.

FYI...since no one posted...show airs July 12 at 10pm ET on TLC
    http://turbo.discovery.com/hard-shine/hard-shine.html

IMO - Motorcycle Mania started this whole thing and I still watch those today when I need some motivation...

It will be on my big screen in surround sound as well.

Nick

27. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I met Jimmy once at the SoCal shop when I just dropped in for the nickel tour in October of '05. We met and talked briefly as he was on his way out and he was more than cordial. Then I ran into him at the GNRS last year. Not only did he remember me, but was just as nice of a guy then to. And I was even interupting his lunch. That's when I'm most likely to be rude to people!

There was a recent post on the HAMB requesting help choosing a name for a car. I REALLY liked Jimmy's attitude towards naming cars that he went through during the hot rod build-off program. He basically said that he thought names for cars were stupid and that he was going to name his nexr car 'my car'.

Vance

28. Fallschirmjager George

Fallschirmjager George
    from Indiana

1. Im going out this Sunday and buy 2 more flatheads off a older graybeard hoarder. If I dont he will charge me more after seeing the JS show. The Old man has already has upped everything $ because of Jesse James TV shows he has seen over the last 3 years. If this Shine show lasts, we will all be paying alot more for everything.

2. Another thing why doesn’t he use is real last name? I can pronounce his name properly.

29. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

My favorite quote from that show was when he was talking about how some builders cover the engine with "half a trash can". Made me laugh. :)

30. Is this the Drama board????? Why do we hate when someone makes it? Wish them the best and watch it if you like it......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.