Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Jesse James For Mayor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 15, 2007.

?
  1. Yes, it's a good cause...

190 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. No, it's not relevant...

233 vote(s)
    55.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How is having Jesse for mayor for a week supposed to do anything for a small town? My next door neighbour was mayor for 8 years, he's a helluva good guy, a good businessman and an intelligent leader, but the town is still fucked up.

If Jesse wants to promote small towns and help the "hicks" maybe he should use his hot rod street cred and just visit small shops all over the place. Bring a TV crew, showcase some work and some people... you know... be productive instead of parasitic.

2. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

I'm for it. The guy is successful and hasn't locked himself behind his big estate fence and forgot about the regular folk, more power to him.

Dirty

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I could not have said it better so....ditto

4. I guess you weren't at the Garage party at South Austin Speed Shop?

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Where's JESSE????

Why don't you chime in on this??

Malcolm

6. hemi

hemi

What would be cool is if he would go help flailing strip clubs.. you know, chip in for some lipo or implants, maybe some updated lighting or outfits... maybe use his fabrication skills to make a triple pole and a swing... offer dance classes, add a daycare center and a dental plan, and try to bring moral up in a place that was once a bustling business that has fallen by the wayside. THEN if he wanted the HAMB to help put on a car show out front, I'm sure more folks would jump on board....

I also like the "newer" guys who joined in the last year who always complain about the dreaded "influx of newbies"... that always makes me laugh.... every year. :D

7. My take, like most state here. There is some merit to helping a small town out. On the other hand, this is a reality show.

Lets say the show made a million buck an episode, and the show donated the
    to the township, ok that something. But would NEVER happen.

Bottom line JJ is a business man. I now he cares in what he believe's in. You gotta make some sacrifieses for yourself to make it.

You CANNOT change things in a week. FOR anyone anywhere.
    Ok a Month, maybe change views, but not change living.
    IF fact was a TLC show that did the 30 day expiriment.

Is seems to me a lot of these small town are already living and fear or hate some corporation coming in and starting new businesses. They should be so lucky, small to medium towns fight seem to be doing the old "no wal mart" fight. Lose it, then in ten months when the store is there the city only shops there.

How's doing something car-related going to fix a small town? nothing.

I believe this all reaks of marketing scheming. The trailer is basically a sizzile to catch some views.
    If you guys don't realize if most yall are in the small towns, your currently voicing your opinion here, and hopefully the producers of the show will read this.
    Unfortunately for, but fortunately so I don't don't have to worry about it,
    the whole small town issues. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

BTW, why doesn' JJ help everyone and develop a cool engine that runs on water or some fantastical shit like he's always up to. Or maybe fuel that is cheaper than gas and works on existing engine. Help the fuckin wheels turn forward.

People that live in such small towns, should just plain move on out.

JJ, if you actually do this, please just make a suggestion box have all the 100 townspeople put in suggestions for help, and do it.
    Also collect all the rumors in town and abolish them, you know like the old "well you know billybob's been runnin' dungs fur his daddy since '72". Just go over to Billybob's house and shoot him him the the fuckin head, call it a day.
    goodluck

8. usedall9

usedall9

Ahh shit!
    The yes votes are creeping up?
    School must have just been let out?

9. tooslow54

tooslow54

You're a moron. It's all about learning from experience and it appears you have none. BTW: I'm 32 and yet embarrased for you....maybe one day you'll get it.

10. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

I dont think it would be in the best interests just because of all the possible bandwagoning that could occur:(

11. 10jakewd

10jakewd
    from Michigan

I think it's a great idea because Jesse James seems to be going into a good cause and it could help the hamb/JJ if it brings more sponsors/aliance members.

12. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Denise has it right. I've yet to see JJ post anything informative on this site or or help anyone out. Given his talent, skill level and resources, that would be pretty easy to do. Instead, every post has to do with some marketing or promotional effort. I think the last one was him showing off his new race car or something. So WTF?

13. RodLand

RodLand

Maybe he would have a train, Hick towns have trains don't they?, run over a perfect 1932 3 window and all that would be left would be the HAMB tag on the cowl. Then the camera would pan to JJ with his smirkey smile, as he says "it's only metal."

Oh! and I ain't gona tell ya how I voted. Ha Ha

14. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Well, I didn't have to think about it over the weekend. The drive home did it. Here's what I got:

1) Jesse James don't need anyones approve to do this. Just like the Iraq show when he did it on his own, even though everyone said no..it's too dangerous or whatever was said. He paid for it because he felt that strongly about it and that is rare in the US these days.

2) What is the purpose of having the HAMB involved and I guess more clarification is needed from JJ on this and how it would be done. I want to be careful how I ask that because a lot of HAMBers have been on his show so we know he digs the site. He's with us on that.

3) If the show is about "cleaning up the town" whats that got to do with building cars. If JJ wants to "cutt" then "cutt", ya know what I mean? Building a car isn't going to do shit for the town so I don't understand that part of it.

4) Jesse, we all know your a great fabricator and very successful, talented, and all that shit but, if you want to do the HAMB a favor, or let's just say, the hobby a favor, then how about ya do a show or two about building tradiational and custom rods? I guarantee you'll do a hell of a lot better with the audience than a "hick town show" with endless politcal problems We all have that and it's getting old. They've had those problems for 30 years or so and that much time to fix em so what makes you think you can do it in a week. That's just TV drama bullshit. With the car show you'll retain your dignity and self respect, and have a chance to venture into cars as a spin off of your creations instead of a "Hee Haw" spin off.

5) I bet if the show is produced, it will be cancelled the first season. I base that on the fact that we here about political shit all the time. We are pounded by the media 7/24 by it so, when we talk cars the politics have a real limp dick affect. It will be a failure and JJ will be the laughing stock of the hollywood elites and the car/motorcycle world. Do you want the HAMB in on that deal?

Thanks Ryan for being El Jefe. At first I thought it was funny but now, I'm be checking that No button.

15. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

16. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

After watching that youtube vid I threw up in my mouth a little. What a shameless attention whore. What condescension! I grew up in "some hick town" and there were plenty of people there working hard to make it a better place... and it didn't need some dude with a stoner laugh to come in with a film crew, WWF sounding narrator, and a power chord soundtrack.

I've always kinda thought he was a bit of a putz. Maybe well intentioned, but I grew tired of having to articulately explain my hobby to my coworkers ("oh, you mean you're like that Jesse James guy?").

Jesse, and I'm talking to you here, you're a good fabricator and designer. Stick to that. You've got more than enough attention coming your way if you stick to what you're good at.

17. Have you see his wife? She's totally got it goin'!

Seriously, I'd feel better responding to this pole if I were a long term Alliance or senior member of the H.A.M.B., Having said that, I'll take an "outsider/observer's objective tact...

I think JJ means well and wants what's what's best for all but you guys are like one of those "Best Kept Secrets", not unlike some unmolested small town American towns, A.K.A. hick towns. Ya know places people go to stay away from the main stream, commercial America. Regretablly, I say no.
    Keep it small and drive your car to the nearest Walmart,('A'-rab oil be damned!)

18. PRESKRYS

PRESKRYS

Yeah bud very profound.
    I at least state an opinion and my thoughts on the situation.
    The best you got is "Your a moron"?
    No statement or effective comment but "maybe one day you'll understand"?
    I'm noticing a trend here. A # of people have said that but not elaberated on "what it is I'll understand" So until that point chump, Your the........ Oh you get it.;)

19. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

Jeez...I hardly know anyone on here anymore.

This strikes me as totally ridiculous for many of the aforementioned reasons; the HAMB has already been watered down by being columnized in various publications and with the popularization of "rat rods" by big business (remember the Wendy's ad? Boy band video? "Traditional"/rusty die cast?). Thanks to this type of bullshit, Model A bodies are about the same price as a '32 was five years ago.

Avoid the OCC HAMB theme bike.

Just say "know".

20. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I voted yes, but I don't really care for the hamb or Jalopy journal to be associated just becuase of the influx of idiots that would follow. I'm from and live in one of the towns like would be in the show, and I think it's be rad for someone to come into the town and stir things up and try to turn the town around....that's just me though...

21. Good call Chili...I say we back SamIyam instead of JJ.

Bryan

22. tooslow54

tooslow54

You're absolutely right. I should listen to 20 something year-olds more often. Go ahead and vote 9 more times since they short changed you the first time.
    If the "trend" hasn't fallen out of the sky and smacked you upside the head yet, let me help you: Irrelevant.

23. No....

No........

No fuckin' way should the HAMB involve itself in this bullshit....

There's no good cause there. Mayors are elected... not flown in on a private jet. I can't even see how that would be legal.
    Where do they come up with this crap...?

I couldn't even watch 1/3 of that video clip and I felt like punching a hole in my monitor...

Fuck that......

JOE:cool:

24. Let's do an analogy:
    "I'm not an athelete,
    I don't wera Nikes,
    I don't golf,
    I'm not like Mike,
    I don't make tennis shoes,
    I don't answer E-mails,
    I don't help other atheletes with their sport,
    but can I put my name on your shoes?"

Do you guys see my comparison?
    He has no positive feedback to the HAMB,
    He doesn't do any Tech threads,
    He posts nothing about his car builds(if he even builds any of them),
    Yes he's a "blue collar" guy,but with "white collar"habbits,
    Bragging about smashing the Anglia WTF!,
    But,"Hey will you promote my new project?"

Should've stayed a lurker. I joined the HAMB to be a part of something i've always loved,Hotrods,Customs,and the guys who feel the same. When I can help another member out,I do. I love meeting other HAMBers. Talking about their cars,projects,or just hanging out. Don't see Jesse in that same light. Why didn't he post a thread,asking for support? Now if he was to throw a big bash for ALL HAMB members,for supporting his show,that's different! Sure,I hope his show succeeds,but why should we support anything he does,when he doesn't support us?

Also,Ryan,
    I hope 53Burb can only vote once. Otherwise he'll be going to everybodys house he knows to join the HAMB under aliases to vote yes,LOL!!!

25. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

I voted no as well.

To me the thing that makes the HAMB cool is it is all about the writing on the wall. It is cool from word of mouth. It is strong enough to stand alone and support itself.

Plus I have a beef with JJ after they killed that Anglia. I don't think I will ever forget that.

I would strive to keep this place pure and true to it's roots.....like the cars we build. Once you get involved with others it will snowball into something huge and click-ish or go the other way and get a bad name due to the masses that don't approve.

...but all in all it is nobody's decision besides yours Ryan.

DuckusCrapus

26. I think Denise & Choprods pretty well nailed it. The only example of JJ's work I've seen on here was the TIG weld picture he tossed in the Sellers thread just to be a smartass. I'd love to see some actual tech from him, or even examples with detailed photos...rather than "look at me" type posts. Still waiting.

Even if he had paid some dues, I still don't think it's relevant to what the H.A.M.B. is all about.

I'd rather throw a little support to SamIyam. :)

27. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

robin... i dont know what kinna fun you had at the RUST REVIVAL......but man.... would that ever generate some funds for this lil town...but, will IT be more of a hassle then its worth???? not sure...maybe im drunk, umm, i mean, not followin, but if its hicks he wants then, mo is the place!:D ;)

ohh, and i vote.......who gives a shit!!!!

28. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

The line about ( working class people running things ) is enuff for me to say ok - give it a shot.

You have to admit -weather you like him or not - He did ( along with Hue King ) bring attention to hard working people who ( build stuff with there hands and minds ) - He told the world it cool to get dirty & try to fix something or make it better...Do the best you can with what you have ( aint that what the HAMB is all about ? ) that and helpin peeps that are trying to do the same things you like to do..?

This message came across loud & clear at a time when Schools are droping Machine shop & automotive class's across the country - stirred up a huge interest in wrench'n on old cars - bikes & machines.

I say his record is prettty good.

Give it a try -

29. 53Burb for Sherrif...that's fuckin funny!!!!! Does that mean Billy Gibbons for Commissoiner?

30. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

No fucking way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.