Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT, Prayer request for my Brother, it's terminal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey All,

I usually respond to these threads and have never asked for one, Well my Brother was diagnosed last August with a Cancer known as "Buccle Carcinoma" It is one of the cancers that is contributed directly to tobacco use. ( this makes me sick because I gave him his first cigarette when we were teens),.... it started out by what seemed a cold sore.

He had surgery on his face that took 13 hours (inside and outside of cheek and neck) back in October and they felt they got it all, this was followed up with 10 weeks of daily radiation. Just last month at his check up they told him it came back with a vengeance , and it was terminal.... (Rick is only in his 50's )

To give him more time they started him on aggressive chemotherapy, 3 types at the same time, this really kicked his butt and landed him in the U of M Hospital, There was however a glimmer of hope as the swelling from the tumor on the side of his head reduced quickly and drastically ( this tumor had etched a good size hole through his skull and was heading into his brain) but as we found out yesterday,..... the cancer had already spread to other parts of his body, so barring a miracle, it is just a matter of time.

I know there is nothing impossible for God, but I also know that it says that " it is appointed unto every man a time to die", and we are all good with this, I do still pray for that healing miracle for his body,... but rest in assurance that if that doesn't happen, my brother Rick will be healed on the other side.

If you are the praying type, I ask for your prayers, not only for my brother, but for my niece & nephew, my sister and myself as we are pretty much the care givers. Not only for that miracle,.... but for the strength we need to get through this,.. (been through it twice before).

One last thing, and this is a plea from my brother, He asked me to tell all my friends, "please don't do this to yourself or your family, please consider quitting smoking", His daughter and son are just heart broken, from the time they were little they both begged him to quit. ( I quit in 1977 but always felt responsible for him picking up the habit ). Rick quit the day he was diagnosed,... he was surprised how easy it was to quit given the right motivation,...... Please don't let a diagnosis like this be your motivation.

Thanks for your prayers, and God bless you all, "Harms"

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm hurting for ya brother and you've come to the right place. A lot of kool
    people on here will lift up the situation & hopefully will give you guys some
    peace. Your Brother and family will be in my thoughts and Prayers.

God Bless.

Mick

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sorry to hear such bad news.
    Your Brother, you and your family are in my prayers.
    thats just too damn young.

4. Not only will I offer prayers for Rick and his family, I am going to have my Lung Cancer survivor/closet smoker wife read this. Maybe your words will convince her she's not bulletproof.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

13 months tobacco free here after a 30 year habit...God Bless...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. chevy348

chevy348
    from Ohio

Sorry to hear that. Your covered here with prayers. My wife has a prayer chain at our church with dozens of people. You are being taken care of.

7. mcload

mcload

Sad news; my prayers are with you and your family.

Sincerely

8. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

It makes me sad every time I read a post from my fellow HAMBers looking for a prayer. I've been fortunate to not have to deal with the loss of many of you have. I count my blessings every day. Please know that even though I haven't felt the pain you and your family are going through, you are still in my thoughts and prayers.

9. 29ZZ4FORD

29ZZ4FORD
    from NWFLA

Prayers sent. My Dad is a survivor. Too many years as a mechanic and smoker. Keep his spirit up and don't give up.

10. borntoolate

borntoolate

Prayer sent. I quit about 6 years ago after about 15 years of it. Every smoker needs to quit! If it ain't for you, then do it for your family. Besides, food and drink tastes so much better without 'em. All the best to your brother, you and the family.

11. bigken

bigken

Wow that hurts. Prayin' for all concerned.

12. 31whitey

31whitey

trying to convince some friends to really quit...maybe this is motivation...prayers for you, your brother, all your family and friends

13. Prayer sent.

Tears in eyes…

14. roddinron

roddinron

I sent this link to both of my kids, both smokers. Hopefully some small good can come from this if it helps convince them, or anyone else, to stop before they become the next victim.
    I'm always sorry to hear these stories, I think tobacco co's are no better than any other drug pushing criminal gang, even worse since they operate under the guise of legitimacy do to a history of bribes, blackmail, and tactics that would make the mafia cringe. Read the history of the tobacco industry some time, that alone should be enough to make you stop smoking, just to refuse to make those bastards any richer off of peoples suffering.
    My thoughts are with you and your brother, good luck.

15. I'm sorry for you and your family...I'll have my 2 boys (7 & 9) say a prayer in class when they do prayers for family and friends. Will also have them read your story...they watched their grandfather die a couple years ago from a long battle with lung cancer and I'm sure they will get to watch their grandmother do the same as they were/are both heavy lifelong smokers.

God Bless...

16. I'm sorry. You mentioned a couple times that you feel guilty for giving him his first cigarette. I think you should not blame yourself. I highly doubt anyone else blames you, especially your brother. I think you should talk with your brother about it.

Thanks,
    Kurt

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie

Prayers go out for your Brother and your whole family!

FF

18. LDGn63

LDGn63

May God bless him and your family!

19. raven

raven

Prayers sent.
    r

20. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

How very sad for your entire family. My prayers are with you.

21. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

prayer sent up to the big man

22. :( :( :( .......

23. athenamarie

athenamarie
    from Kahoka, MO

prayers sent from north east mo. God speed.

24. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

Prayers for your brother and his family...

25. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You bet man, done deal. Sorry about your brother. And stop beating yourself about it, not your fault he was a smoker all those years.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

It's always sad to hear news like this. We have been warned for decades now that smoking leads to this dreaded disease yet throught the hype of mass advertising our young people continue to be ensnared in this filthy habit. Don't mean to preach but I lost one of the most treasured people I knew , my grandfather, from this very thing.
    I've always smiled when i see your signature as it's the only hope we can count on and if your brother is also in this place he is headed for a pain and cancer free future. It's just sad that it's probably going to sooner than the Lord had planned for him. Be strong for your family and NEVER stop witnessing to those who will listen. Your brothers situation just might help someone to make a decision for HIM.
    I'll be praying for your brother and your whole family as you face this tragedy. May His will be done.

Frank

27. Thresher

Thresher
    from Austin, TX

Carla and I will say a special prayer and easy on yourself about giving your brother his first cigarette: we were all young and invincible once.

Thresh

28. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

prayers sent.

-scott noteboom

29. Sad news. Prayers coming from So. Cal. Godspeed. Mike

30. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

to you from my fam.......GODS PRAYERS!
    todd