Register now to get rid of these ads!

VA Antique Registration Changes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bills 50, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

2. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Bastards gone and made it harder.....:mad:

3. brpowel4

brpowel4

quick question you guys might already know.....

i'm looking for cars (Model A or T tudor) with and without titles. i have found some bodies that have titles.

is it as easy as going into the DVM, asking for a title transfer and getting it with out having them inspect the VIN number (i wouldn't have a frame yet). if i get a frame, it wouldn't be original.

this car will be driver every where possible. any specific ideas? where can i find the information at the DVM?

thanks
    Bryan

4. Thanks for posting, Bill.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

Sounds like they are enacting restrictions that coincide with that collectors insurance requires. They require proof of another vehicle also.

WV has restrictions on use already. It's why I run regular plates.

6. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Hey,
    I can't answer this as far as MD goes...I am looking into it now. In Virginia the DMV/Police do not inspect cars/vins from out of state cars.
    Bill

7. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Glad to help.The basic changes are the one time license fee is now $50 was $12 I think. You must provide a statement indicating that you have a regular registered driver. Noting that YOM and antique plates in Virginia are restricted use plates (not daily driven) Virginia is a pretty reasonable with antiques (25+). One time tag fee, no inspection sticker required, and no property taxes. These changes have been brought about by the abusers. The people with rusty Fairmonts as daily drivers, and rusty Dodge trucks used commercially.
    Bill

8. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

no not total miles per year. It limits you to within 250 miles from home. and only on the occasional pleasure drive.

9. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

10. blu8503

blu8503

Thanks for the post and the heads up
    Matt

11. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Looks to me like the 250 mile limit ONLY applies to pleasure driving. Which means I could still drive it to California to a show if I wanted to. Am I right or wrong?

12. blu8503

blu8503

thats how I took it....I think if you are doing a club thing or going to show its unlimited

13. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

Any indication yet of how we are to get "notorized certification" of the cars safety equiptment compliance? As far as proof of owning another registered vehicle , this is evident in their records.
    Damn polititions, They're not happy unless they are inacting stifling laws designed to restrict the rights of Americans. Although they're all to happy to scede the country to Mexico and expand illegal alein rights!

14. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

The time has come for revolution.

Chris

15. I believe you are right.

I talked to my insurncwe agent about the same subject last year. He said I would be covered, and thats all that really matters to me. F the DMV! I'll pay the fine if I have too, but I want the insurance coverage. And since the two are kina linked together, I wanted to be sure.

16. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

so if im reading this right all i have to do is write out a statement saying its in as good if not better than 19XX operating condition and get it notarized?

17. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

and on this one if i was to put a small trailer on my 1940 i can drive it whenever? wherever?

18. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

and last but not least, if i wanted to drive my truck every other day, to work, as long as i took along a few
    like a change of clothes and some deodorant could say i was transporting it for a later pleasure drive????

19. Looks reasonable to me, in Tx We have to renew every 5yr's(on the 3's & 8's, funny, huh?) and from what I understand there is a $300 fee to transfer a title from out of state!

LEE

20. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

You can drive the car for pleasure...down the Parkway...or crusing. You can use it for any event...car show...or other event.
    Smiles, and you can take it anywhere anytime for repairs or other "modifications". You may not drive it to work as your daily driver. Grins, but you can drive it to work to "work" on it!
    Bill

21. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

good thing i work at a parts store then.... yeah officer i was driving it to see if the ...... off of a ..... would work on it, testing the operation....

22. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Eh, no worries. I don't think you'll find one person with an actual hotrod that's ever been hassled for abusing the restrictions on antique plates.

The only real change is that increase in fees, which is fine by me. Like Bill said, hopefully it'll cut down on the bullshit of putting antique plates on some 26 year old shitbox that gets driven to work every day. That shit is rampant here in Roanoke, lots of people use it as a way to get around state inspection because they a) can't afford a good car, or b) can't afford a good car, or c) they just do it to piss me off. Because it really does. One day it's going to become near impossible to get antique plates in VA because of all the abuse. Makes me mad as hell.