Register now to get rid of these ads!

Granada Brakes on `55-`56 Ford??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoMoCoPower, Jun 12, 2007.

1. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Ok...I heard this is possible,and a couple guys on here pm`d me telling me that they`ll tell me everything I have to do if I want....but I never heard back from either of them.

I have the spindles/calipers.......now what do I need to do to make it all work???

2. my pops used what I think is the fat man drop spindle kit and it all bolted right up and made the car look good. I will talk to him this weekend while at LA Roadster show and will report back on what he used.

3. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

anyone?? all i got so far was a PM with three links that shut down my pc and gave me a nasty virus.....not exactly what I was wanting....

4. spare parts

spare parts

The Granada spindle needs the lower balljoint hole reamed larger.The lower balljoint is larger on the '55 than the Granada.You need a 1 & 1/2" per foot tapered reamer and just ream until the '55 balljoint fits.Most machine shops have the reamer,if not FatMan Fab does this for around $50.00 plus shipping or buy one from Speedway Motors for $79.95 and do it yourself.This trick works on "54 up Fords.I have done 2 sets for friends for $40.00 pair and paid for my reamer.I'm doing the Granada swap on a '58 Custom 300 for myself.

5. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I'm doing this swap on my 54 wagons. do exactly as spare parts said, and its a bolt in deal. Not only that, but it instantly gives you about a 1 inch drop!

6. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

sweeeet...thankyou!

7. FoMoCoP,
    make sure to use the master cylinder for the same year granada which your using the spindles and calipers from, I think the master even bolts right up. pull the whole system from the donor, as the proportioning valve is needed to make the new disc/drum combo work correctly.

8. funguynstc

funguynstc

hi,go with what ABE says,or you can use what ever master cylinder you want and just use a adjustable proportioning valve from like summit or jegs,i have one on my 4 wheel disc drag car,i am running a 1980 fox body thunderbird,with a manual master cylinder,a jegs adjustable proportioning valve,and 86 lincoln mark disc all the way around,my car hits 100 mph in the 1/8 and brakes work great

9. Great Advise so far. I did exactly as spare parts did and it worked well. Abe Lugo is also on the money with the master cylinder. Additionally, you might want to go for the full monty and also take the rear end from the Granada. I have a small block 302 with about 250HP and it twisted the pinion on my original 56 wagon rear end. It let go at the rear U joint which distorted the pinion. The drive shaft place placed all the blame on the drive shaft portion of the joint which was from the original 56 drive shaft. (In their defense they told me this was likely to happen.) so I replaced it with the rear end from the 77 Granada. It is very close to the right width (a bit wider) and was cheap to buy. I simply cut off the old spring perches and welded new ones on.
    This means that now the entire braking system is from the Granada, and the u joints and rear end are stronger.
    Hope this helps,
    Greg

10. www.discbrakeswap.com

brand new Granada disc set-ups. A new lowered spindles version to be released any day.
    I have OEM Granada's on mine, but I did pick up a set of his slotted rotors cheaper than OEM rotors at Autozone. This guy has quality parts and fantastic customer service.