Register now to get rid of these ads!

re-assembling front end sheetmetal on an F-1?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoof, Jun 14, 2007.

1. hoof

hoof

What is the best procedure for reassembling and hanging thefront end on a 1950ish F-1? I guess what I am asking is should I start with the inner fenders and build from them, assemble the front clip and then attach it to the truck? I have two brand new fiberglass fenders, and the rest is stock. My truck is also channeled 6 inches (the height of the frame) but I am going to try and leave the rad support full height for the time being.

How can I level the fenders with the frame? Do I just eyeball it, or is there a way to tell (I guess by the hood level?) when everything is plumb to the frame.

Sorry for the FNG questions, but this is my first time, be gentle with me!
    Thanks,
    CHAZ

2. old beet

old beet

I put my whole front end together, then install as a unit. The core support can be shimmed easily, to adjust the fit.............OLDBEET

3. 348tripower

348tripower

Same here. One piece and pretty easy.
    Don

4. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I have assembed the front end both ways (on and off the truck) and agree that assembling the front end sheetmetal off the truck is much easier.

5. hoof

hoof

Thanks!
    CHAZ
    [​IMG]

6. Mike

Mike

I think you might have some trouble here. The front sheet metal bolts to the core support and the core support bolts to the frame, this will leave all of your front sheet metal sitting 6 inches higher than your cab.

In order to get your front sheet metal to line up with the cab prperly, it seems that you would have to do one of these three things, modify the way that the core support attaches to the frame (6" lower), shorten the core support (6" shorter) or modify the way that the sheet metal attaches to the core support (again, 6" lower).

7. hoof

hoof

I am planning on leaving the support full height and seeing if it will fit under the hood. I have a pic that shows the original radiator sticks up quite a bit from the support and still fit under the hood. I know that I am going to have to change the mounting points for the sheetmetal to the core support. I figured I would redrill all the holes down 6 inches or whatever it ends up being.

I don't know how to insure that I have the front end level with the frame? Do I just need to make sure the hood lays flat?

CHAZ

8. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

I didn't channel mine or anything but I did use a box off a 53 and had to redrill all the rear fender bolt holes, I ran a string along the "fender line" from the front fenders to the rear for level and had the bolt holes lined up on the running boards to the fender for height

seems that sort of method would work reversed

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

On an "alligator type" hood start by mounting your hood with
    the gap at the cowl panel even and flush. "if" your hinges are
    shot this can't be done, and you'll need new hinges to get the
    sheetmetal to align correctly. What are you runnin for front tyres?
    with a six inch channel, with the front wheels in full compression
    you may have turning radius problems with tall tyres. Once you
    have the hood panel hung, with good gaps at the back and sides
    of the cowl, hangin the fenders shouldn't be an issue. Yes, the core
    support will require "a little" adjustin', maybe new rubber mounts,
    as well.

Swankey Devils C.C.

10. hoof

hoof

I am going to try and run stock wheels and tires. I had it mocked up once before and it seemed like it would work depending on the height of the front fenders, I wasn't sure at the time how to set them. If it doesn't work I will have to figure some other rolling stock. I would like to do a disc brake conversion in the front too, and I am not sure if that helps or hurts the clearances? I will probably have to gut the core to get a radiator in there anyway, so I can hack it up as needed.
    Thanks,
    CHAZ

11. chopo

chopo

Im sure there are a few local guys around that would not mind helping ya out a bit;)

12. lulabelle

lulabelle

That thing is looking really good!