Register now to get rid of these ads!

Under Dash Heater Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flop, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Flop

Flop

Anyone else take some time to fix yours up. i found out mine had an aluminum front face so i polished it painted the rest in rustoleum metal flake paint and had my buddy Kensey do the simple pinstriping.

heres a pic of mine anyone else have any?

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. B-Man

B-Man

I have the one form my '46 truck, but it is super rusty. I may restore it, but I will probably try to fit the one fromm the '51 car that I am using the dash from. Those parts are super nice.

3. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Here are a couple I'm going to experiment with. They look like space helmets...yeah, where's that bubble top dude, he needs a couple of the "barn find space helmets"!:eek:

4. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Crap, spaced out and forgot the pics. Earth to Aman, Come in Aman.;) :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

5. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Aman, What did those heaters come out of? I picked one up at a swap a while back.

6. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I'm not sure. I've read that they were in several different models in the 30's. Pretty cool huh?

7. Clark

Clark

Didn't fix it up but I plan on using it inmy 34. Wish I knew what it came out of.
    Clark

Attached Files:

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

South Wind gas heaters ... the 2 shown are post-war

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Here's mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

A shitty picture but a cool heater. Is that an oxymoron???

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've restored 2 old chevy ones. a 37-38 and a 46 -48. I got a shelf with about 20 more to re-do. couln't find my pics... must have deleted them.

they are like little works of art. with fancy polished aluminum emblems and trim. I like to use the brownish gold hammertone paint from orchard supply, kind of has that old car feeling to it.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's one I did on my old 49 sedan...

[​IMG]

13. Flop

Flop

nice im glad im not the only weirdo puttin a tons of hours for sumthin under the dash. sorry for the weirdo comment .
    and are you guys running water valves? wondering how much of a difference it will make with hot water running through it constantly.

14. Flop

Flop

same thing here but mine was hooked up so i know it didnt have any other levers or parts .
    so whats the secret with the water valve guys?

15. Lets hear some retro-fit ideas for electric heaters in these boxes too...
    I've got one of the Southwinds and one of the round ones like Tommy posted but the internals are pretty rough.

16. The fan switch normally was 2-speed,which is how the heat is controlled. A water shut-off valve is a good idea in hot weather, commonly available at parts houses is a manual shut-off, but you've gotta get under hood for that, a better choice is one for a 80's Dodge van, uses a cable and has the added benefit of being able to regulate the flow/heat.

Just another tip from yer UNCLEE!

17. StratoStreaker

StratoStreaker

Heres the one I did for my Poncho. I used the volume and tone knob of a fender stratocaster for the knobs on the doors.

Attached Files:

18. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Thanks for the correction 302GMC I don't really know what models they came in cuz I've always seen them out of the car. The Southwind, made by Stewart Warner, was a gasoline fueled heater. That means gas and carbon monoxide in the cab...not good. So, over the next few months I'm going to design/build a retro fit for them that will use the hot water methods we are used to. Much safer and so far I haven't found any reason that it can't be made to work.

They are works of art when you look at them. About as art decor as you can get. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on how the water valve work/connect, or any other info to pass along, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

19. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Actually, the South Wind heaters,have NO flames in the cab. The unit operates with combustion sealed,and vacuumed back into the intake manifold. They are pretty efficent. As long as a good leak,free fuel connection ,is made,they are no more dangerous than the fuel tank itself. Sparky

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

21. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Hey Jalopy, does anyone actually run these now-a-days as they were originally intended? Just seems dangerous to me but, it could be just my ignorance of the product. I don't want to run it like an original unit because from what I've seen, there is alot of hoses and stuff that seem like a pain in the ass to work with. Anyway, I've learn a little about them today, I have an owners manual on them and the original kit that you use to connect it to the carb but I still think I'd like to retro fit it to work like a water unit. Hope that makes since this morning. Any others?

22. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Django, what kind of car is that? I saw a unit like that for sale recently but, it looked like it was too big to put in the A. That looks killer!

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The car is a '36 Ford, but I don't know what the heater is out of originally.

24. Lane Anderson wrote an article in Rodders Digest many years ago on updating the waterheaters with new valve and fan from NAPA. I posted it here years ago but will try and scan the article and re-post it.

25. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

Aman,

I wanted to do the samething but I couldn't find a water coil small enough to fit in the body of the southwind. I also though about retro-fitting an electric unit in the southwind...anybody done this? Pics please.

Thanks, DD

26. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I need a electric motor rebuilt or a replacement for the one I am restoring.Does anybody have a source for this Thanks

27. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I used a large computer type fan. Works great. I tried to replace my motor with a 12 volt version but had no luck finding one that would fit the fan.

28. bztech

bztech
    from KC

Hmmm something like this... 56 chevy pickup. Just had this one delievered last weekend.

Attached Files:

29. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Django, I was thinking about making the coil out of copper tubing. I was going to gut the Southwind, put in the coil w/valve, and put in a resistor to drop the voltage in order to keep the 6 volt fan. Does anyone see anything here that is unsafe or has anyone tried this before? Ideas, suggestions are welcome, thanks.

30. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Rather than start a thread, thought I would dig this one back up and post a couple of pics during the resurrection of my old "Eureka" under dash heater. I bought it several years ago and took it to work with me and pressure tested as well as checked the motor. It is still fine. I will have to weld a bracket to it to mount it on the 34, but that will be no problem. Will update when I have it painted up and assembled. heater 1.jpg heater 2.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    kadillackid likes this.