Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tulsa Buried Car Already Opened

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steelratrod47, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

If you go to the website for the Oklahoman, you can leave feed back, including how having old Toid Coffington in on the deal , f#*ked everything up in the views of true car lovers, and made a commercial disaster out of what coulda been something fun. You can tell politicians messed up the whole affair. Normal Okies have more brains (and pride ) than that....Ole Pork

2. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

Anybody coming into town for the car dig, after paying our money-grubbing mayor to see a rusted out hulk. Come down to the Mercury Lounge where you can see rusty-out cars displayed daily for free.

On stage this weekend.
    Fri: the Josh Davis Band
    Brandon Jenkins

Sat: killer midwestern zombie surf with the Riptides

3. Elrod

Elrod

No way. Try wrapping a book in a water proof blanket, and then toss it in a swimming pool for 50 years. Do you think the book will be dry when you pull it out?

This car would have needed to have been driven into a perfectly sealed bag (impossible and you saw in the old black and white video that this tarp was just thrown over the top) to have resisted the elements.

It should have been built into a wall inside the courthouse... bricked in ABOVE GROUND and the wall torn down 50 years later revealing the dusty car.

They knew it would be trashed 50 years later if they burried it under ground. They probably thought no one would really even care about it as far as an item of value. To them, it was neat just burrying something and someone finding it again 50 years. Didn't matter that it would be trashed.

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Or that '57 Plymouths would be worth anything.............

5. Has anyone ever tried to clean Cosmoline off even..... a small part?:D Boyd will actually earn his pay, for once -there in Oklahoma.....

6. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Yeah, a buddy of mine into WWII firearms and such has had to get it of an M1and some other stuff...it actually messed up the finsh in some spots. Tough stuff.

7. fins + stagnent pool of water = old dead smelly fish

8. Da Injun

Da Injun

The best thing happening this year in Oklahoma is...ROCKLOHOMA...check it out!!!

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Perfect. I'm sure they thought people would be more into the stuff from the purse than the CAR.. I mean, sure the Plymouth is neat but at the time it was just a new car. Would you give a crap, or expect the same hoopla 50yrs from now, if some city was to bury a new Chrysler Pacifica?

10. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Where;s Geraldo when we need him..........................??

11. GlenC

GlenC

It will be interesting indeed to see that's under that tarp. Fresh water isn't corrosive like salt, and I've seen WW2 planes rescued from lakes in Europe after 60+ years and the metal (including the steel) is as good as new. Biggest problem here would be chemicals leached from the concrete I suppose.

It's also been in pitch darkness, which means no bacteria, mould, lichen etc, so maybe the interior is wet and dirty, but perhaps not rotted away.

Hmmmmmmm...

Cheers, Glen.

12. Here Lies P. Belevedere......

Buried June 1957.....Deceased June 2007

Died In Her Prime Aged 50 Years

:(

13. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

they should get those hazard clean people to come take care of it. i bet if they scrubbed the hell out of it and washed everything down maybe just maybe it would be ok. im thinking though, that the water would rise and fall. so its prolly rusted....

also, the motor is prolly full of water. and the pictures/paper and case of beer is ruined.

14. WTF!?!?! Someones gonna bury a Pacifica? SWEET! I hope it's got wood grain and a set of 24's!!!
    Anyhoo..... the big deal for me was the OFF CHANCE that the thing was cherry when it was dug up. I doubted it, but c'mon! Even if ya hated old cars, how cool would it have been if it was cherry after all that time?

15. Roadsir

Roadsir

sar·coph·a·gus [​IMG]
    <TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>1.</TD><TD vAlign=top>a stone coffin, esp. one bearing sculpture, inscriptions, etc., often displayed as a monument. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE class=luna-Ent><TBODY><TR><TD class=dn vAlign=top>2.
    </TD><TD vAlign=top>Greek Antiquity. a kind of stone thought to consume the flesh of corpses, used for coffins.

car-soph-a-gus.........
    1. A stone coffin, esp. one bearing mopars, etc. often buried deep in the ground to be displayed in the future.
    2. Oklahoma Antiquity. a kind of stone thought to consume the steel of said mopars, used for carfins.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

16. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Now that's some funny shit. You should be in marketing Jay.

17. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i guess it turn into a ratrod, is there a hemi in it

18. koachwerks

koachwerks

Ha ha! Brings back memories of what he asked someone after the bombing; "did you see anything more than what you saw?"

19. knotheads

knotheads

dont sell that cosmoline short ...i bought a table saw that was mitilary surplus one time ...the saw was a 1940 model the table looked like hell when i got it and i thought i would have to resurface the top...i did a little scraping to see just how bad it was and descovered that it was covered in cosmoline ...i cleaned it up and found a very pristine surface underneath.

20. Brad S.

Brad S.

They were there since WWII.
    Captured by the Germans and then abandoned in the bogs as the Nazis retreated.

There is a slovak website dedicated to all the different vehicles this team of folks are pulling out.

21. WOW! Not only the surface looked great, but the tracks looked to roll smoothly (no kinks), and the axles as well. I'm impressed

22. Tony

Tony

A while ago someone started a thread about the shoebox ford that went down in a lake in Mn back in, i believe it was the later 50's. It was found and recovered being submerged all those years. From the pics it didn't look as bad as one would figure.
    Has anyone actually seen that car or even picture's after it was retrieved?
    I'm thinking the Plymouth probably didn't fair too well. But at the same time i'm also wondering if the lack of oxygen and sunlight may have slowed down the rust/rot process ..maybe...but what the hell do i know..
    I guess we'll have to wait a couple more day's..
    I do think it suck's though. Pretty cool idea.

Tony

23. water, no water, moisture trapped in the bag, water, no water, moisture trapped in bag, for FIFTY years, over and over's gonna be a LOT worse than just submerged in water. Five bucks says this poor car's as close to garbage as you can get. I hope i'm wrong

24. Tony

Tony

Unfortunately, your probably right.

25. Brad S.

Brad S.

I'll post a link when I get on my main computer if you're interested. Posting from laptop now. It's a fairly interesting site...even if you don't read the eastern european alphabet.

26. tstclr

tstclr

Wouldn't steel plate, welded shut like a ship's hold have been a better way to store the car instead of brittle concrete?
    Todd

27. Now, does it snow in Tulsa? Do they salt the roads? Did some of that salt get into the box with that water that may have been melted snow? Hell, i'm starting to be surprised the "bag" even resembles the shape of a car.

28. Very cool. Let me know when to look for it, OK?

29. On the bright side, there's still going to be $1500 in parts on it - mostly trim - and a carcass worth $200 or $300 at the scrapyard any day of the week.

It can't be any worse than the one I bought for $300, sold the wings off the bumpers for $600, sold the car on eBay to a guy for $1000 who came, picked some pieces and told me he didn't want it, that I then ripped a bunch of parts off and sold for scrap for $75. That was before scrap went way up and my buddy hauled it to a guy who gives about half what most the other yards give.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.