Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9 inch 2 speed pinion....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratmotor, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Was at a swap meet selling shit on the weekend and met an old buddy who builds rods as a sideline.He noticed a 31 splined 9 inch Trac-lock I was selling and I told him I needed a 28 spline unit. He then tells me he has a weird 9 inch 28 spline posi unit he took out of an Anglia that has a larger than normal pinion snout and a part where a cable goes on.Its a wild 5.13:1 ratio. He said it was definitely a 9 inch housing. I,m meeting him next weekend at a show to pick it up so until that point I guess I,ll be keeping my fingers crossed that its a Cougar Eliminator unit!!!:confused:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9005&highlight=two+speed+pinion

2. squirrel

squirrel

the old Hone-O-Drive overdrive bolted on to a 9" third member. it's kind of big and used a mechanical linkage instead of a cable...probably not what you're looking at...but it is technically a 2 speed for a 9"

3. Fat Cat

Fat Cat

If you go to the thread you referenced and look at the picture on page 2 you will find that the Eliminator 2 speed was not a 9" rearend but rather a Dana unit. There are some links in that post that lead to other pages that show that there were only 6 documentable 2 speed installations on test platform cars.

The rear end in the Cougar article shows a rear loading gear design not a front loading 9" style pig.

4. What ever it is I,m going to disect it so we know once and for all.I,ll post pics when I get it.

5. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Coud also be a cable actuated locker.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I guess never acquired...........

Johnboy34 likes this.
  7. I thought that Cougar rear end in the Eliminator was a Dana Model 53 that they modified to make the two speed.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

called the "Streep" rear axle? I didnt think they ever actually made it into production, big splash in Hot Rod in 1969, then nothing?? I'll find it and scan it.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Been Jones'n to see this "unicorn" since the first time I read about it.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Don has a good memory!!
    207.jpg 208.jpg

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My bud Salvadore told me he was gonna 'streep' his gears. I, of course, advised against it...
    Suggested he use the clutch. :D