Register now to get rid of these ads!

Arizona Hambers - new emission law?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arizona Geezer, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Got the renewal notice for my 71 Chevy pickup in the mail, no emissions test required? I've had to take it thru every year since I bought it 10 years ago. Now I can get a 2 year plate? Hot damn!

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, they have been talking about making cars 25 years and older exempt.

But I heard that the people doing the acctual testing suit the state because that would cause loss of work for them.

It would be nice if it finally passed....

3. SO-AZ

SO-AZ
    from Tucson

I read that if it's over 15years old and has Collector car insurance it doesn't have to run through emissions...

4. asher

asher

its been like this in CA for as long as I can remember. I believe that cars 73 and below (i am sure I am wrong on the exact date) are smog exempt

5. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

"its been like this in CA for as long as I can remember. I believe that cars 73 and below (i am sure I am wrong on the exact date) are smog exempt"__________________

Not here.

6. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, that's a long time, ain't it?

back to your regularly scheduled show now

I haven't been keeping up lately with the fight, but I know Bill Gilmore et. al. did get a law passed recently that lets those old cars be exempt from testing now. Not sure of the details...but it's about time....

I remember when the smog law first came into effect in 1975, we had to get the 61 chevy tested! It passed, which was pretty surprising since I had just overhauled the engine, on my own, at age 14.

living away from the big cities is nice...I haven't had to mess with that since I moved from Tucson to Sierra Vista

7. desertdroog

desertdroog

From what I know, the law is in effect. I work with a guy who is a Corvette nut, now he is estatic because he can drive his 73 disco fever without having to get emissions or pay for the reg on an emissioned car.

I think he even bought some bell bottom polyester leisure suits to complete the trip down memory lane.

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm a licensed state fleet inspector, here's what they told me:
    If it is over 25 years old AND has collector car insurance, then you're exempt.
    Us poor bastards without a garage (and the mileage restricting collector car insurance) still have to sniff ours.

Also, ALL motorcycles are exempt, this is as of April 2007

9. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Motorcycles in Pima County are exempt, they still need tests in Maricopa.
    The key to an exemption is "classic car insurance"
    They actually use insurance records and match the insurance type you have to your VIN to determine if your registration renewal says "exempt" or not.

10. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

Damn...get me all excited, then BAM...take it away!
    I had to fight with the carb on my 67 this year to pass.
    I hate having to screw with that stuff.
    I can't do the collector car routine either....not garaged, driven daily.
    Oh well...............

11. squirrel

squirrel

trade in your 67 for a 66 :)

man, it sure is nice living out here in timbuktu....

12. Hell the insurance thing aint no big deal...grundy just covered my 68 ragtop for full coverage at $130 year...on top of my 39 poncho.$156 year....Live in good in the warm arizona sun!!

13. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

What is emissions?

That is the nice thing about Okie-land. No emissions checks, no safety checks, nada. They tried to do a state inspection here for years, but it was too corrupt. It was $5 for an annual sticker, and only half of it went to the inspecting shop. If you knew who to talk to, you could get an inspection sticker without even taking the vehicle into the station. Not that I've ever done that....

14. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Smack talk all you want. We don't have Boyd coming HERE!

15. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Hey, I'm not going to see him. I heard he gets all of his cars outta Arizona though...

16. Jeeter

Jeeter

Not to whore up the thread, but since we're on the topic of AZ laws, what is the cut off year for Trucks requiring front fenders? I was hoping to run a fender-less jalopy.