Register now to get rid of these ads!

shop space in Long Beach/Huntington Beach area?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 4, 2007.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright, so it's looking like I may need to rent some work space if I'm ever going to get anything done on my Model A this year. Moving to Long Beach and the place I'm getting only has a small carriage house. It's big enough that I can roll the thing in there and stack parts around it, but that's about it. Working is going to be impossible and I don't even think it has power let alone 220 vac.

Can someone recommend garage or shop space for rent in the Long Beach or Huntington area? What would I expect to pay for something like this? I'm expecting it to be high. Anyone in that area feel like renting some space in their shop or something?

Thanks ahead of time. Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers!
    Scooter

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bump for the evening crew

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay... is the LBC awake today? Let's try again.

4. All of the LBC must be working on their cars!

Damn Scooter, your leaving Las Vegas? Good luck to ya man!

5. This is just one of the downsides of living here, Scooter. Good luck, man. Sure wish I had a better thing to add here, but…

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! Can't take this place anymore! I HATE Vegas with a passion! The only luck I've had here is BAD luck. No offense to people who love it here, it's just not for me. Can't accomplish my goals in life living here and that's the most important thing. Getting out while I have an opportunity. Too HOT also!! Drives me crazy!

So yeah smitty... you're going to just have to come visit me in So. Cal now! :D

7. DrJ

DrJ

If you just rent residential garage space they will probabaly not let you "work" there.
    If yo rent commercial garage space the LB city government "gang" will be all over your case if you aren't paying them for a business license and they are collecting "their" share of taxes off the property.
    This is what has been going on more and more lately to "artists studios" in this town.
    The local
    government is a mafia that wants it's cut or they won't let you play, get my drift?
    If I was going to rent commercial space around here again I'd do it in Signal Hill or Paramount.
    Business licenses are a third of what they are in LB.
    I don't know if you are buying your "tool shed" or renting but if renting I'd consider not, and find a garage with attached apartment or something similar instead.
    What area of LB are you in anyway?
    Major cross streets or Hghschool district sufficient if you don't want to post your actual address.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Belmont Heights area. Close to 7th and Redondo would be the closest major intersection.

Going to rent for now. There is lots available with garages, just that most don't allow pets. Ideally wanted a house, but they're out of my price range in that neighborhood.

Saw where a couple adds for two car garages for rent in the area pretty reasonable. Was considering that. Not sure how they are on working on the car in them though. Mechanical work probably wouldn't be too bad, just most places probably don't dig the welding and grinding part... you know... shoot flames and sparks.

Interesting about the requirements for shop spaces. I'll keep that in mind. Was thinking of getting a business or LLC type license anyway for some side work I do. Maybe I should just go ahead and do it so I have it. I'm sure that's a whole nother can of worms in California though.

9. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

Do yourself a favor & just get a house with a two car garage that is in the back of the place with a long driveway to it and you"ll have a ton of room to work and to store cars. you shouldnt have a problem working on your cars in YOUR garage even if you are grinding and welding into the night. it will be cheaper than paying for two spaces LLCs and all that bullshit and you dont have to go back and forth for forgotten tools etc.

It should be an easy find since there are a ton of places like that in LB and Lakewood

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree. Just not sure if I can afford it. Most places you speak of looked to be just out of my price range. I may find that looking for an additional shop space may ALSO put me out of my price range as well. May actually have to take a time out on the car for a while. Don't want to, but I'm prepared to make that decision... sadly enough. Not ruling anything out just yet. Won't REALLY know what I can afford until I get settled in down there. It's ANNOYING trying to find a place without being down there. Can only go off of pictures and descriptions. Have a buddy that will drive by and check places out for me too.

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Just a couple of points based on my fifty-plus years experance in
    the "Little Guetto by the Sea"(Long Beach) & doing business with
    the City of Signal Hill.......

If you're rentin don't mention the ''workin on cars and bikes deal"
    & never bring up the sparks and noise subject, and NEVER!NEVER!
    mention the "P" (paint) word. I've done in above radar, and below,
    shade tree style and in the end it got UGLY! Industrial/commerical,
    with a roomie probably would be your best bet, if ya don't wanna
    get fucked with.
    I'll put my ears on for ya.

Swankey Devils C.C.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks brotha! I appreciate the tips and the ears! :)

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well.... didn't get the place after all. Looking for another place in the same area. Belmont Height, Belmont Shores, or maybe Bluff Heights. Somewhere south of 7th, west of park and East of Cherry (or so)... So if anyone knows of a 2 or 3 br house or townhouse, condo... whatever that has at least a full single car garage please shoot me the info! If I can find a place with a decent garage I don't need to look for a shop space and will save a lot of hassle dealing with places away from home.

Back to lookin'....

Thanks guys!
    Scooter

14. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

good luck with your search,

if you still cant find a place with enough room to work on your cars, i have been thinking about finding someone to go in on renting some shop space with, just a thought.

15. Make that a third person here

16. asher

asher

Hell you rent a place around Huntington or my area let me know. I need to get in on some shop renting action

17. John Denich

John Denich

I will need a new shop in the Fall they are tearing mine down for condos in the fall....I am for shop space also....I will be getting desperate come September....

John

18. knotheads

knotheads

check out the LB airport for hanger space. an old travel trailer or motorhome parked inside and you have a place to live and work

19. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

I would be interested in spliting some shop space as well! anyone interested in spliting a shop with in a reasonable distance?

20. Burny

Burny

Hey, Sounds like there are alot of people looking to go in on shop space...I'd be into it...

Knotheads, I live right near LB airport...never tried the hangers. I thought they would be too highly priced...

Scootermcrad- What's your price range?..I see houses for rent around my hood for around 2K a month...most have 2 car garages and there are alot of people wrenching on cars...Belmont shore houses are going to be high priced. I lived down there for years...they're all old craftsman style houses with small garages made for model As!

Either way, I'll keep an eye out...

21. knotheads

knotheads

you might be right on the cost of rent at LB airport .since right around the time signal hill went upscale up on the hill LB airport has been under going a major face lift

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some really great ideas in this thread and good to see other people looking for shop space! Very cool! Food for thought right there.

I've been finding 2 br places with single-car garages from $1300 to about $1800. Trying to stay in that price range. I would love to have one of those rad craftsman houses with a 2-car, but that's pushing the limit right now. Possibility for the future. Just need to get down there and get the paychecks flowing. Yeah, so let me know if anyone see/hears of anything.

Thanks!!

23. FleaBiscuit

FleaBiscuit

24. Burny

Burny

Don't I know it! They managed to build themselves a bitchin' giant dirt pile. I get to breath it in everyday! Sad thing is, there IS tons of warehouse space there sitting unused!

Scootermcrad-I'll keep an eye out for something in your price range...

25. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I wouldn't waste any time lookin' for airport hanger space. Ever since
    September 11, security around that airport has been an issue. If you
    are sportin' tats and an attitude, expect to get the full Gestopo treat-
    ment. Also, housed on the airport proper is a police command center
    and the Airport Authority. I'm bettin' workin on hot rods, bikes or
    kustoms would be a real deal breaker.
    If you're lookin' more for working shop space, over a cool zip code,
    Ya may wanna look in North Town or the West Side, as far as Long-
    Beach goes. Ya could probably score cheap rent, make all the noise
    ya wanted, learn a new language, and pick up a Glock dirt cheap!

Swankey Devils C.C.

26. Burny

Burny

I hear that. I used to live over on Daisy ave between 9th and 10th... Lots of warehouse space. Rent was not bad... but that was 12 years ago.

27. Berky

Berky

Burny,

Hey neighbor! i live on Clark right by the LB airport entrance.