Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949-51 Ford Shoebox Diferences. Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatheaded, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

I picked up a shoebox Ford the other day but don't know the difference between a sedan and a coupe. :confused: It's probably pretty simple but help me out anyway. I've ID ed mine as a 1950 by the grill and it is a "Custom" because that is what the side trim says. Anyway if someone could tell me an easy way to tell the difference between a sedan and a coupe I would be very greatful.

2. SHRUM

SHRUM

wing qtr windows on my dads coupe and windows to be rolled down on my sedan.

3. Al Von

Al Von

On the sedan, the roof is longer because the rear side windows have vents that open just like the front windows. On the coupe, the roof is shorter, the quarter windows are smaller and don't open.This gives the coupe a 'sportier' look. There's many more differences between the years but you asked specifically about the coupe and sedan.

4. wz56km

wz56km

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Some of the biggest differences between '49 and 50 are almost invisible--the body was extensively reengineered to improve things like hinges and latches and eliminate rattles.

6. geemann51

geemann51

7. LORYDER

LORYDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if you want to know about shoebox's check this site out. They also have a forum as well and they will help you out on any thing you want to know about a shoebox, or to get parts.:D

Like l did for my 50 Meteor coupe that lm working on right now.

http://www.shoeboxford.com/public/main.cfm

8. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

Thanks to everyone for the info. Makes sense now. Turns out mine is a sedan. Thanks again, later. Flatheaded :D