Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Ford 9" rear end should I use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edgeabilly, Apr 19, 2007.

1. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

I here that's the way to go but which one?

to start with I'll need 53" backing plate to backing plate.

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Weren't the late 60's broncos about 53in? I might be wrong but I think they were.

3. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

Yea that sounds right.

4. 66-74 Broncos 5 on 5 1/2....57-59 Ford cars 5 on 4 1/2.

5. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

Yeah that's what i'm looking for would like to find a posi. ;)

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:D

A lot of Broncos had the POSI ... because they were 4X4 ...
    The down side is that they are almost 40 years old, have been abused in the mud and have suffered stumps, sand and rock abuse.

Whenever you buy a Bronco rear end ... if you get a decent housing, a pair of backing plates and axles ... that is about all you can hope for.

The axle bearings will be shot, the center section leaking and the brake drums worn down to nothing. Brake drums are available new ... but they are high ( 75 - 80 dollars each ) I have one under my roadster ... the pinion is also offset ( 4X4 :rolleyes: ) .

7. Rusty

Rusty

1969 were 58" axle flange to axle flange

WAGNER - Rear Brake Drum at Oreilys 10"

Item No: BD60391
    $55.99 Each

8. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

9. indyjps

indyjps

Moonglow2, I got a spam alert from McAfee when I tried to open that site, might be careful.

10. If you measure between the housing end flanges to get the measurement you generally add 5 inches to get the measurement for axle flange to flange approximate.

11. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Hmmm - I checked the link before I posted it to make sure it was still a valid one. But when I went to the home page just now it was listed as the New Zealand Mustang Club and I got an error message. The page itself is just a list of year, make, and widths of various Ford 9 and 8 inch rears.

I found the site with a Google search a few months ago.

Better safe than sorry - thanks for the alert.

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

hey Edgeabilly i know a guy right by me that has some bronco rear ends. i was going to get 2 from him but i only need 1 now. he wanted $125 for the housing and some axles, no third member though. i could find out if he has a complete one for you if ya like.

13. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

Yes
    I'd like!!

14. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

Yeah some but many were the soccer mom SUV of today;)

15. OK fellas I just measured the bronco rear in my garage. Its 53.5 from housing end to houseing end, backing plates are usually offset a bit so 53" from backing plate to backing plate is about right.

There is on minor problem though so i don't want you guys to get really upset with me OK? I measured from houseing end to pinion center on both sides and if it isn't centered it is within about a quarter inch. Its the front that's not centered or at least that's been my experience.

16. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

What do you mean?

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

He means that the pinion yoke is not centered ... Like I said in my post ... the pinion is offset because it was a 4X4 rear end ... :)

18. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

How would you correct that? I'm sure it has been done.:confused:

19. if you want the pinion centered , you have to shorten one side...or lengthen the other , if that ever has been done

the pinion not being centered is not a problem

20. Tin Can

Tin Can

you just run the drivshaft at a slight angle when you use an offset pinion rearend. I just picked one up for my tudor.

21. Hi edgeabilly, 4:11 posi 64 bronco in Ohio. Sorta decided to put her under my 21 Dodge in Nevada other than the logistics problem. Just picked up an old Chevy nail head for the 21. However as you have Dodge parts, twist my arm, lets see what ya got?

22. ray

ray
    from colorado

chevy nailhead?

23. Yep Chevy Nailhead. Bought an old 57 Chevy truck for the Nailhead figuring someone shoehorned her down in there. Went insane trying to run the numbers, they don't exist, mystory motor. Then when researching the automatic trans in the 57, I find the motor, check thoes numbers and there she is; a Chevy Nailhead, all origional with automatic trans in this 57 Chevy Truck. Learn something new (or old) every day.

24. ray

ray
    from colorado

i knew what you had. yeah, GM put some nailheads in trucks, but they still are BUICK motors.

25. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

is the 9" for looks are do you actually have enough horse power to need it.

26. 9" isn't that strong, I've twisted axels and poped ring gears in them before, will I build the Chevy :) Nailhead that strong, that is to be seen, but over kill is never a bad thing and I don't see running a stock 21 Dodge rear end.

I think I will stamp some Chevy emblems in the tops of my Nailhead valve covers just to be ornery, I think that will go well with the Chevy numbers.

27. What have you run that did that to a 9" Ford rear? We have over 1600 HP in front of one and it has run good for 2-3 years...

28. Ya but your probably nice to them, x rpm and dump, and at 1600 hp, hey was that the finish line. Na, Bottle Buggies, the worst torture any vehicle can endure, push, pull, yank, bogged down in the mud, hung up on trees, pull the d*#$%! cars in two, drop a couple rods, nothing survives. 9" were certianly strong, and the Ford frames usaly broke first, but something was bound to give. That is I grew up with a scrap yard in the middle of our farm, and the Bottle Buggy is the work vehicle, the one that puls the cars in line, flips them on their side, then yanks the motor after I cut em. Ford and Rambler were my favored, usaly good for a week or two. Chevy's, I love my Chevy's but they could not take the beating.

29. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

My Bronco will be just fine!!
    And yeah real hot rods have 3.. If you don't beleave me ask the dirtys:D