Register now to get rid of these ads!

Classic Cadillac Experts Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by killer-D, Jun 4, 2007.

1. I am trading for a 61 cadillac, the guy removed the motor/trans, to do some work on it, while he was puting it back in, he lost the trans mount and shifter linkage. The question I have, is that I have access to a 63 Cadillac. I was wondering what trans/interior, etc will fit on the 61. Are there any other trans that bolt up to a 390? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 375instroke

375instroke
    from seattle,wa

I think that motor was only made from '59 to '62. It was revised a bit for '63 and bored and stroked to 429 in '64. They kept that motor until the 472 came out, so I would think that that '63 would help you for parts. I have a '62 and it came with a 4 speed auto, which I wish I could have kept, but with 500 cubes now, it doesn't care what gear it's in. You wondered what other transmissions would bolt up to the 390. Do you want a different trans than the 4 speed auto? One thing you may not know yet, is that trans has two mounts near the front in addition to the one at the rear, so while you're under the '63, look out for those too.

3. 61-62 interchange, but are different appearance-wise year to year, as well as coupe to conv. You *might* get some of the 63 interior to work---I ain't measured one, so I'm not sure, but I think no.

Either swap the engine/trans (is the 63 eng/trans good?) OR suck it up and buy an adapter and hang a 350/400/700 off the 390.

IF you get lucky and find a good hydramatic, I've got a 62 parts car(4dr)....and I'm pretty sure it still has trans linkage. Gimme a holler :)

4. williesplace

williesplace
    BANNED
    from campbell

The frame on the 63 is slightly different than the 61-62.The engine and trans isn't different should bolt in.There is an adapter for bolting on a 350 or 400 trans.to the 390.Even though it was alot of work I'm glad I installed the 472 w/400 trans.in my 61.Makes it easier to get parts when needed,water pump,internal motor parts,etc.And it kicks Butt!!!

5. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

The shifter linkage should transfer over from the 63, same tranny. The trans mount is probably not going to work as mentioned the frames are slightly different. I have a 61 caddy I'm parting out right now if you need the tranny mount or any other small parts. I don't think any of the interior will transfer over, possibly the front seat but everything else is very different...but you might be able to make some of it work. Good luck.

6. eltiberius

eltiberius

Put a 472/400 in my 60. Got tired of that Jetaway 4-speed slushomatic and changing out water pumps on the 390. Muy macho no?

7. bittickp

bittickp
    from California

I have a '62 Deville. When the transmission died i put it in the shop and they put a rebuilt(cheaper then rebuilding mine) same year. Worked great the first 200 miles. Then with no warning there was a clunk and fluid dumped out the bottom. I took it back & they ended up rebuilding my original at their cost. The guy told me then that older cadillacs do often reject rebuilts. Good Luck!