Register now to get rid of these ads!

Our Paso Adventure; Day One, Thursday- Brizio's Shop & Vern Tardel's Flathead Ranch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Jun 4, 2007.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

As some of you might remember from a previous post I had to give up attending the Jalopy Showdown because I had to work in Florida that weekend. Since I agreed to attend the seminar in Orlando my boss agreed to two extra vacation days off so I could attend the West Coast Customs Car Show in Paso Robles California for the first time. What a TREAT!

First I’d like to thank my two traveling companions Larry AKA OldBobSign (OBS) and Megan AKA ChevyGirlRox (CGR) for making the trip so special….and so much fun! You guys are the best! THANKS!

I’d also like to thank a couple of other pals for going above and beyond with the generosity before we even left for our trip. Special thanks to Notebooms (Scott) for offering us the use of his awesome wagon. Even though his Caddy wasn’t done in time for him to take, therefore we couldn’t take the wagon, just the offer to us of the possibility of using it meant a lot. Thanks bud! It was wonderful to meet you, your lovely wife and daughter. I’m really looking forward to your visit to Michigan.

HotRodHon (Craig) also deserves a HUGE thanks from me. Offering me your ‘37 to drive while I was in CA just blew me away and you know if it had room for three I would have jumped at the chance to cruise all week in it. I’m certainly going to take you up on your offer next time for sure. Thanks so much sweetie! Very much appreciated!

Our adventure West started the Wednesday before the actual show. I had to work all that day and boy was it tough trying to concentrate. Took an early evening flight which put us in San Francisco just two hours after we left Detroit. (Can’t beat that!) Megan arrived just a couple of hours before us, got the rental, car, and checked into our room. Once we arrived we just hopped on a shuttle and caught up to her at the hotel. The party had begun! Well not really, we were beat and knew we were getting up early to start our adventure so we crashed.

And adventure it was. Thursday morning we headed out bright and early. We had a Dodge Magnum, good thing too cuz we had lots of “stuff” and I didn’t want to get stuck with a minivan like the RoundUp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found a bakery on the way to Roy Brizio’s shop. Thought we’d bribe the boys there with pastries and bagels. :D
    [​IMG]
    None of us had ever been there before and we were all really looking forward to it.
    [​IMG]

We didn’t have any trouble finding the place since this was sitting smack dab on the corner.
    [​IMG]

Dave behind the counter greeted us warmly and proceeded to open the shop doors for us and gave us the run of the place…….the donuts probably had something to do with that;)
    [​IMG]

The FIRST thing that caught our eye was this dragster hanging on the wall and all the artwork/memorabilia and a photo of each employee. They sure are proud of each and every one of them. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I turned around the old Barris Merc that I had been hearing about was right before my eyes and in it’s final stages of assembly. This Merc is the first one that the Barris shop ever chopped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bill at Brizios is the one rebuilding it. The fresh paint was applied by Daryle Hollenbeck and it will soon sport an interior stitched by Gabe. I’d like to thank Bill for taking the time out of his very busy day to answer our questions and show us the old memorabilia on the car. It was great meeting him.
    [​IMG]

Checked out a few more cars then…
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

HOLY SMOKES! What do I see tucked behind this HUGE rolling tool box but the Ala Kart! I couldn't believe it. I had no clue the little truck was there AND so close to being restored. My gasp must have a little on the loud side cuz it caught the attention of one of the guys in the shop who proceeded to walk over, unlock the wheels on the tool chest and push it out of the way so I could get a better look and photos! I thanked him profusely but didn’t catch his name. Man those boys at Brizios are nice…..I wonder if the donuts had anything to do with that?….probably not
    [​IMG]

All three of us had goosebumps just looking at it…….and I did touch it:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent the better part of two hours walking around the shop and checking out all the projects in the different stages of completion. Every nook and cranny had something to see.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back into the shop from the back overhead door
    [​IMG]

The start of the next projects
    [​IMG]

A few finished rides sitting out back.
    [​IMG]

And a couple of projects waiting in the wings for their turn
    [​IMG]

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Headed back inside and SLOWLY made our way back up to the front
    [​IMG]

Lots of attention to detail
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We even stuck our noses in a closet.
    [​IMG]

Chatted with Roy a bit and thanked him for his hospitality. One of the points we discussed was the fact that the Ala Kart restoration was going to start right after the Memorial Holiday weekend and be completed for it's debute at the GNRS in Jan. There is HAMB lurker, just turned member that works at Brizio's. Perhaps he'll keep us up to date on the progress, with photos.
    [​IMG]

I tell ya what, I’ve been to a lot of shops and met a lot of shop owners over the years and Brizios goes down as one of the cleanest, well run, well organized, friendlist ones I’ve visited. My hats off to everyone that works there. It was a total pleasure to visit. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

We could have spent all day there but decided we needed to move along if we wanted to get anything else done. We were all REALLY looking forward to our next shop tour. I’ve wanted to visit Vern Tardel’s Flathead Ranch for YEARS and this trip was the perfect opportunity. We headed north from San Francisico to Santa Rosa. It was a nice drive but the anticipation was killing us.

Once we arrived and got out of the car the three of us were just standing there with gaping mouths. Everywhere you looked you were in awe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is the year 2007 or 1957?

[​IMG]

Keith Tardel was actually the first one I saw that I recognized and greeted us warmly. Told us to look around and make ourselves at home.
    [​IMG]

We started to walk around and check out the projects they had going on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Vern then motioned us into his office and introduced himself. Chatted for bit the he proceeded to personally give us the royal tour. WOW, what a treat, especially for Megan who just found a ‘32 roadster which is a‘50’s survivor. Vern seemed real excited about her find and shared a ton of info regarding suspension, steering, breaking and frame work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vern doesn’t waste a single piece
    [​IMG]

These boxes were just loaded with parts!….all of them!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides seeing all the projects and stuff, Vern was kind enough to take us to his personal garage and show us one of the roadsters he drives on a regular bases.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there he showed us his other favorite and explained how he ended up with such a cool looking finish on it.
    [​IMG]

Outside was a ton of cool stuff. Everywhere you turned there was something special to check out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boxes of flathead parts from France
    [​IMG]

We then decided to take a break and head out for lunch. It was very nice and relaxing to be able to sit, share a meal together and just get to know Vern and hear some of his stories. I’m hoping he enjoyed our company as well and didn’t mind us taking up so much of his time.
    [​IMG]

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I could have listened to him talk all day but he did have a business to run so we headed back to the ranch for some self guided sightseeing, treasure hunting and photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Larry searching for hood sides
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Both Megan and I were trying to figure out how to fit inside. Both of us had visions of building a cool little, and I do mean little, salt flat racer. When later questioning Vern about it’s size, he informed us it was a prop for the movie “The Worlds Fastest Indian”
    [​IMG]

An awesome vintage stroller. It will be neat to see a little Tardel being pushed around a car event in this.
    [​IMG]

I’d love to make a tool box outta this:cool:
    [​IMG]

Megan had been mulling over buying some parts for her new little roadster and Vern wanted to personally make sure she had what she needed. She bought a kick ass cross member and K member then proceeded to help one of Vern’s guys lovingly wrap it up so nothing would happen to the pieces on our journey or her flight home.
    [​IMG]

Had a very pleasant surprise when Dave walked up and said “hi”. Dave is a long time HAMB member who I originally met at B’ville in 2003 and has this cool little roadster. Dave left his corporate desk job and is now working for Vern fulltime. What a dream! Dave isn’t quite as active on the HAMB as he was in the past but hopefully that might change as he’s got lots of info and skills to share with the younger HAMB folks. Dave, if you're reading this, it was WONDERFUL seeing you again and catching up. I hope our paths cross again in August in Wendover.
    [​IMG]

We then decided, even though we really didn’t want to, that it was time to move along if we wanted to get to our next pit stop. Stopped back into Vern’s office to say our goodbyes and thanks BUT lucky for us Vern wasn’t ready for us to leave yet and started pulling out scrapbooks, photo albums, posters, t-shirts….HOLY SMOKES! We all sat down and proceeded to have a ball going thru everything. Even got Vern to sign some stuff for us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did finally say our goodbyes with included hugs and photos and promises of seeing each other at B’ville during Speed Week in Aug.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were sad to leave. Vern’s Flathead Ranch is a very magical place that I look forward to visiting again in the near future. Thanks so much to Vern, Keith, Dave and the rest of the guys for making us feel right at home and taking time out of your busy day to answer our questions. Your hospitality is very much appreciated.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Headed back south thinking we could make it to the Blackhawk Museum before they closed but it wasn’t long before we knew that wasn’t going to be possible. We decided at that point that we would fit the Blackhawk into our schedule for Sunday afternoon when we rolled back into the area.

We proceeded to head into San Jose where we knew of a couple of cruz nites and thought we might run into some HAMB folks or at least some cool cars. With the help of Anastasia, we made it thru the highways and byways of the bay area during rush hour without any issues.
    [​IMG]

Well there were two other HAMBers and just about that many cool cars but nothing to get excited about.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did get the opportunity at the cruz nite to meet CathyH for the first time in person and check out her ride. It was nice chatting with you Cathy and hearing about your adventure on the road. Sorry I missed seeing you at the meet and greet on Saturday in Paso. I look forward to our paths crossing at the HAMB Drags.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had heard thru the grapevine that the second cruz nite was a bust so we didn’t even bother heading over there. Called A32Flathead to see if there was anything going on but he was showering. Then called Notebooms, no answer. WOW, looks like we’re going to have to entertain ourselves in San Jose. Decided that since we were going to head south with the Gambino crew in the morning, that we should probably get a room close to Alex’s shop, so we headed in that direction.

Saw this and just HAD to stop for a photo op since we all know how near and dear this company is to folks here on the HAMB.
    [​IMG]

We swung by his shop just to see where it was located and low and behold he and his wife were just leaving for the night. We were greeted warmly by Alex and introduced to his lovely wife. Chatted for a few minutes then said our goobyes. We checked into a hotel a couple of blocks away and headed out for a bite to eat. Once back in the room we called it a nite and fell asleep dreaming of the next day in our Paso adventure.

Megan with her member
    [​IMG]

Day Two can be found here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187048

Day Three can be found here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2027053#post2027053

8. WOW, Great story and pics. Thanks, Mike

9. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Denise, "Megan with her Member" That will put a few smiles on some HAMBers faces, Great pics, I've been waiting for your post !!!
    Rob

10. synthsis

synthsis

man, there is nothing like that out here on the East Coast. I'd love to get out there one day and do some poking around. you guys are lucky to get out there to check this stuff out. can't wait for part 2.

11. Dirty2

Dirty2

Too Cool !!!! Thanks for sharing.

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

............wow....

13. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Awesome pics...I've got to go there and check that out.

14. John Denich

John Denich

Unreal.....those are some great pics.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't care how many shops you go to... NOTHING compares to Vern's place.... NOTHING.

16. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

wow !!
    sounds like you guys had a great time. thanks for telling the story, and sharing those pics. i can't beleive you stumbled across the ala kart !!
    i was wondering what happened to it.
    i especially like the last pic...."megan with her member"...that just makes me laugh.

17. Thanks for sharing the adventure,your posts are the best.It seems like we all are along for the tour.Tardell ranch looks like a vision of hot rod heaven,WOW.Looking forward to the rest of the Great Paso adventure,thank you for the time spent organising and posting.:D Aren't you glad,you made the sacrifice,and went to Florida,now is the payback.

18. collector

collector
    from madera,ca

wow, my heart was really pumping checking out the pics and cars. it was like I was there. Thank you so mutch.It was also nice to meet you at the meet & greet in Paso. look forward to more of your travels & pics. thanks, Paul

19. brainfrz

brainfrz

WOW! Vern's place is a flat resting place(not grave yard), each part resting until it can find a new home. Awesome trip. Sorry I didn't know you were cruising around SJ, my little girls love visitors. Next time. Can't wait for the rest of your adventures. Thanks for the time you put into each post.
    Jon

20. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

what an awsome post! It was great meeting the three of you in Paso.

21. Thanks for sharing with the word that I was in the shower when you called! :rolleyes:

Sorry we couldn't spend more time talking on Saturday, but it was great finally meeting you...

:D

22. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

im so happy you guys had the time of your life!sorry i was so tired thurs night when you guys rolled up,and in a big rush friday morning

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You got to see two great shops, run by two particularly neat guys. Did you catch that Bill at Brizio's is Pat Ganahl's son?

24. Thanks so much for posting these pics, Not many people get a tour like that and thanks to you, we did! Looking forward to part 2.

25. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Wow! Thanks so much Denise, for sharing your experiences with the rest of us, with awesome photos and commetary! What a treat, thanks gobs!!

26. alleyoop

alleyoop

WOW this has to be one of the best post ,just WOW thanks alley

27. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

Cool pictures, and it sounds as if you had one hell of a trip!!! :)

Stoner took me to Verns place like one month ago, but unfortunately nobody was home!! Now I can see what I missed... :-( I will definately go again one day, and better check if he is home before we show up!

28. Smallfordsuk

Smallfordsuk
    from Belfast

What can I say that has not already been said - Totally speechless looking at the photos of Vern's Ranch - Amazing. Thanks for the effort - James.

29. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I've always wanted to see what those two places looked like, thanks Denise for sharing your memories with us:)
    sorry your time in San Jose wasn't better, but wow, you can't beat your experience the day before visiting those two places, they looked amazing.
    Great meeting you, larry and Megan and thanks for making the trek down to Paso with us, it was a blast! Hope you guys had a safe and pleasant trip back home.
    best wishes,
    CAB

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr