Register now to get rid of these ads!

australian straight 6 hemi????? (or why I DON'T LIKE AUSTRALIANS!!!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by repoguy, Feb 10, 2007.

1. 55olds88

55olds88

used to be a turbo one in a charger here at the drags, went bloody fast and was about the quietest race car there, hell almost silent smokey burnouts very weird.....
    I too love the add with the glowing red headers, wonder how lean they had it set up for that pic :)

2. rooman

rooman

"I too love the add with the glowing red headers, wonder how lean they had it set up for that pic ":)[/quote]

Actually not lean at all. The ad agency used trick film to get the transparency to look like that. THey did get hot on the dyno at Lonsdale but not that much,

Roo

3. Appleseed

Appleseed

Rooman, have you read the book "Hey Charger"? I really want to buy it but its like 50 US dollars. Is it any good?

4. thorkin69

thorkin69

Hey repoguy,

I had a couple back when I first joined this site and put them up for sale but never got any response( except some wise-ass remarks). I can get more, but it will be a while. I'm sending a container to OZ in july so I'll be getting one back about Sept. I get $600 for them. if interested, e-mail me at [email protected]

5. repoguy

repoguy

$600 for one that runs?

6. Ditto on that. You're a legend rooman! Must have been pretty amazing times back then (before all the hippies and goody-two-shoes started running stuff!) ;)

Should do. My dad had a '75 Valiant Ranger that was set up as a Taxi. It had the full 'Taxi Pack', 265, 727, brown vinyl seats and rubber floor mats (much easier to hose out), and of course, a rubber wrapped lump of lead for warning off wannabe dickheads. :D

Don't worry repoman, we only got the dorky four-door AMC stuff. Really... ;)

7. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

ohh then it must have a valve arrangement like the mopar 'poly' engine?

8. 88daryl88

88daryl88

Hi, HAMBers
    My first post, ever (forgive any stuff-ups)

I have a "mildly worked" 245 in my '47 DeSoto,

Attached please find a zipped version of the hemi WAV file.

Music to a tuned ear.

9. 88daryl88

88daryl88

Ok, so that wasn't so sucessfull,

I'll try that again, patience please.

Attached Files:

10. llewellyn

llewellyn

A trick we use on the gmh 6 cyl eng to solve the broblem of fly wheels comming off is to cut a thin brass shim to go between the crank and flywheel.

11. Bert

Bert

yep, they go like shit off a shovel......tripple webbers, tuned length extractors, 4 speed and hang on.........apparently, they made the most HP per cubic inch out of all the production cars available back then...including the XY GT HO.......also, they were mainly in our version of the charger.... couldnt get the buggers to stop, in racing, brake issues I think................dont quote me on this but that was the talk of them back then....there was a torana at calder on a friday night years ago that had a hemi6 stuffed under the bonnet...that thing ran real hard.........Bert

12. Retroline

Retroline

O.K, I'm puting out some leads to get as many hemi 6's as you want, so get those 32 Ford 3 window bodys packed and ready so we can swap.:D

13. yep i agree with the previous post, i'll swap my old ex drag 6 hemi for a t coupe body. they'll both be rooted so its a fair swap. I've only driven one stock and it performed well 300 000ks and still runs okay. ps only the aussies would understand a kiwi saying "sheep hurt when they kick back".

14. 88daryl88

88daryl88

The Aussie Hemi 6 is a "semi hemi" (like half pregnant).
    The combustion chamber is only the topmost portion of a full hemisphere. So, no need for a high domed piston to make up compression and interfere with gas flows.
    The valves are "canted" to conform with the head shape.
    The spark plug is not in the centre as that would restrict valve sizes.
    The head doesn't need to be crossflow because exhaust gas doesn't know which way it is going, until you open the valve and show it the way out.

I hope you like the WAV. Engine layout drawing attached.

Attached Files:

15. Yeah, that's BS Simon. Jeep 4.0 is based on the 232/258 Rambler six-cylinder. Same engine that used to be in my car before I 'fixed' it by adding a couple more cylinder. :)

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

We have plenty of jelly fish... but thank you...

17. 346cad/36ford

346cad/36ford
    from Australia

Yup, agree. the "hemi" 6 is a good mule.. got a midsize 245 cu.in. in a '70 Valiant coupe ( Dodge Dart) project with an ald school accel turbosonic kit to go on the 4 bbl manifold & using the factory cast headers to feed the turbo.. not a revver but will pull a tall gear But.. there's better in Oz.. Try Fords Falcon 4 litre twincam ( both with comp. controlled variable timing) & the obligatory 4 valves per pot. 190KW/260 HP in a bog standard taxi.. the Factory Turbo version rates at 330HP whilst the factory performance franchise will deliver you 370HP & more twist than the top of the line V8, all with warranty, your choice of a 5 speed man. or a 6 speed auto., fast glass, clunk & frost.
    Beyond that it gets crazy, quarters in the 10's / top ends of 300kph, in fact one local magazine ran out of runway at 309 kph (190 mph) in a 400KW/550 rear wheel HP version.. Check out Nizpro.com.au.. just one of many taking this Nissan Godzilla killa up to 735 RW HP ( mod. cost ? 12K Oz$). Nizpro's best example was up near 1300HP at the flywheel... These are quick, affordable taxi's & that mill, with an aftermarket comp. is sure to end up between some narrow rod rails.

18. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Them Canadians marry sheep they dont eat them.. :D:D:D
    Dave

19. bizee

bizee
    from australia

Thought i would bring this thread back to life with a couple of links for those that want to learn anything about or read up on the Aussie Inline Hemi 6, you can learn plenty at the first 2 links which are Australian Mopar forums

http://www.hemi6pack.com/forum/
    http://www.moparmarketforum.com/forum/index.php

http://www.aussiecoupes.com/charger.html
    http://www.aussiecoupes.com/vf-vg-vh-vj-cl.html

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NSQv1Zpkhw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74dbi_bUZ-I&feature=related

21. nofin

nofin
    from australia

I had a 265 with factory 4 speed in an O/T '77 Chrysler panel van. When I got it it had done over 150000 miles, still pulled like a train and didn't even use any oil.

Here is the ad picture mentioned

Attached Files:

23. Good engines but as much of a Hemi as my dick........lol..........andyd

24. John in Oz

John in Oz

We ran a 265 with 6 Amil carbs on in a little rail once an it didn't get beaten very often by the Big V8's. For what it is worth these used to race in a 24 or maybe it was a 12 hour race back in the 70's and were never headed by any other brand, they just held together and kept going when all the others were dropping out for repair work. I would like to get a 265 for a project I have in mind myself, the problem is they are getting harder to find now days. I heard a lot were going to the U.S.A.

25. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

several years ago a friend at work bought a real nice 71 or so Duster with a 6. He was all thrilled about it and I mentioned the Aussie hemi 6. He finally said one day that he had ordered one from a guy downunder . He got 2 engines for a good deal a 245, and a 265. But then after getting the car all ready and started to rebuild the 265 then the project stalled. Don,t know if he ever got it running, I,ll ask my son who works out there to ask him about it. I sure would like to get one for my 39 chevy. right now it has a nice running 261 loadmaster. I have a 250 chevy 6 with turbo hydro, got it for free, also getting my sons 258 jeep 6, with late head, I,m determined not to put a sbc in it as almost every 39 chevy has one. Going to get to get a hot 6 in it somehow, however the mopar hemi 6 is the ultimate.
    Don,t know why we didnt get that 6 up here in the US, but I have suspicion that they figured it would kill V8 sales, or maybe they just missed the boat. Probly the oil companies again !!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  26. hemiphil

hemiphil
    from australia

The hemi 6 block had 2 different gearbox bolt paterns, tf-727 and borg warner 35, the tf 727 was used in cm valiant with 265 engine if i am not mistaken. These engines can make a whole lot of hp if bored to 4" and use 350 chev forged pistons, then turbocharged.

27. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

I don't get it. How do you stuff those dual rocker arm shafts and angle plugs and exhaust valves into a head so skinny? Why do the ehaust pipes come out of the head on the same side ans the intake manifold? Why don't the plugs go down through the middle of the valve covers? Am I missing something? Does my 225 qualify as a hemi?

28. Pretty much summing up the eighties there.:rolleyes:
    My dad had the new VH 770 Charger with the 2 barrel (I think) T-bar 265. Remember going 116 mph thru early Sunday morning mist in that new car. I was the coolest kid in school for 6 weeks 'coz of that car.
    There is a site for these engines;
    http://hemisix.com/
    http://hemisixpack.com/

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  29. First off think marketing. Thats what the promotion of the Chrysler Hemi 6 was all about down here in 1971.

To use another style of head for comparision the combustion chamber and valve arrangement has more in common with the Ford Cleveland and the Big Block Chev than it does with the Chrysler Hemi V8 of the 50's and 60's. And as observed not a crossflow head either.

I still remember the adds on TV depicting Stirling Moss talking about them this new engine. More hype than reality when compared with the original Chrysler Hemi V8 of the 1950's in my opinion.

A 225 is not a hemi that's the old slopey motor. Great engine in their own right.