Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to expect building a 322 nailhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary N, May 30, 2007.

1. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

I've recently picked up a parts car for my '54 and though why not drop the 322 from the parts car into my '50. Ideas do come and go though, but since I have this motor sitting around....I was wondering if any of you out there have modified a 322 nailhead. Well that's a stupid question...of course one of you has. So, would that one of you please stand and tell me what you did? Thanks!

Gary

2. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I haven't actually screwed it together yet, but I've collected a helluva lot of really cool parts for mine!

'59 401 rocker arms are iron, and 1.6:1. '60-up are aluminum 1.6. Ours are 1.5

Later aluminum timing covers will bolt on, allowing the use of NAPA-available aluminum water pumps. Cheaper, and more readily available than the 322 parts.

On the 322s, the piston dome is unique to the heads for whatever year you have. IE: '53 322, '54/early '55, and mid-'55/early '56. They kept changing the compression ratio and the piston dome design. With the dome redesign came a combustion chamber redesign.

Crank, heads and everything but the block will interchange with the smaller 264.

When buying a vintage intake for it, a common trick was to wallow out the holes and put a 322 intake on a 364.

Offy intakes are readily available, but they suck. Hold out for a Weiand. They were available in 3x2 and 2x4.

Trans adapters are hard to come by. Keep an eye open on Ebay.

If you go with an original trans, the 264/Specials had one with a cover on top that has 5 bolts. The gears inside are made of glass.
    It took me a few years to find a 6-bolt cover trans, from a Century.

The '56 322 had the highest compression.

'56 exhaust manifolds had a 2.5-inch opening, while the '53-'55 manifolds had 2.0 inch.
    I got a pair of driver's side manifolds for mine: '56 was first year for dual exhaust. The driver's side dual manifold looks like a cast iron Tri-y header. The driver's side single manifold looks like the one you have, and exits to the front. Swap that one over to the passenger side, for tubular cast iron manifolds.

Some big chevy trucks from '57-'59 used the 322 Buick engine. Their fuel pumps are single action, like a regular fuel pump. Keep an eye out on ebay for one. The passenger car one is a dual pump--has a big ugly mechanical wart on top that runs the vacuum wipers.

322s ain't cheap, but look great!

-Brad

3. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Ya know Brad, nobody likes a showoff. J/K man, GREAT info!!! Ya just taught me a few things.

Gary, you didn't mention if it ran or not. If so, drop it in and see what happens. Rebuildin 'em can get pricey quick, but one that already runs (out of said parts car) can be the perfect engine. The '54 322 in my roadster runs great as does the 264 in my '55 Special.

If I read your post correctly, the engine is coming out of a '54, correct? Are you sure it's a 322 and not a 264? Quick way to tell is to look at the crank pulley. (assuming it hasn't been changed over it's short life span) If the crank pulley has a balancer attached to it, it's a 322. Just a pulley, no balancer at all, it's a 264.

Trans adapters can be found without a big problem. Of course the '39 adapter is the most common but there is a company making adapters for popular Chevy trans.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Nailhead_install.htm

Also, I'm thinking a '39 adapter with a flathead to S-10 T5 adapter bolted together would make a 5 speed install relatively easy.

Brad... Please expand on what the problem(s) with the Offy versus the Weiand intake. I'm not challenging your info, just asking. My Offy with three 97's seems to do fine. But, if I'm missin out, please let me know.

Stock fuel pumps are not the best and can be a pain in the butt. Go for an electic pump and use a SBC fuel pump block off plate, bolts right up.

4. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

Great info Brad! I just picked up the parts car. It's a '54 Super. My plan is to restore "Dorothy" to it's original greatness, and rod the '50. I think the parts car ran at one time, but who knows. Guess I need to look and see if it actually is a 322. I'm hoping that combined with some go parts and an S10 five speed, "Yoda" would be a lot of fun. I've been going back and forth with what to do for sometime. So far, I succeeded in doing nothing. I'm picking up a '48 Desoto next weekend to really make sure I'm confused and have too many things to grab my attention and too little time to do anything. My fickle self is planning to use my '01 LS6 (I know, so HAMB unfriendly) for the Desoto. Of course a HEMI would be cool and I do have a line on a 392......and I really want that too.....OK, the Mopar needs to stat Mopar. Oh well...

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

But the ports don't match up, 322 intakes are more plentiful than 364 intakes anyway. Do yourself a favor and get a 322 intake.

The Offy intakes don't flow for shit. They can be ported or extrude honed to do better, but the Weiand and some of the others are defiantely better. On a 401/425 the stock 2x4 is better than the Offy.
    The Offy advantage is that they still make them...

6. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Alright Gary, to answer my own question for you, the '54 Super will have the 322. I'd say get it running while still in the car then pull it for transplant. If the stock carb is shot, you can get an adapter plate for a Holley or Edlebrock carb (about $20) that you or a buddy may be able to donate for starting purposes.

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Yeah, what Z said about the intakes.
    I've seen two different Weiand 2x4 intakesfor the 322: the early ones, and the later "Say Why-And." There's a "Say Why And" on ebay right now that has the "dog bone" carb mounting style. Check and see what I mean. I have the earlier one, and it has four holes under the carb. The dog-bone has two connected to eachother. As that's a later design, and mirrors the GM factory 2x4 intakes of the early '60s, I'm guessing it'll perform a bit better. I REALLY want it, but got no $$ right now!

If that Super has a manual trans, by chance, don't part it out. I have a friend who just got a 322/3spd/Super...by their research, less than 2-percent of them came with a manual trans.

Flywheels are a bit difficult to come by, too. While the 264 flywheels are fairly common, the 322 flywheels aren't. I haven't had anyone tell me for certain, but I think the balance is different on the two...Buick had two part numbers for flywheels, one for 264, one for 322. The clutches were definately different from the factory. I would think, however, that you could have a machine shop balance the flywheel to the 322 crank and rods.

-Brad

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I think that the different part numbers in the Buick parts catalog were due to the different clutch setups between the 264 and 322, rather than balance. Schiefer listed one flywheel to fit all '53-'56 engines, and has no footnote concerning balance like they do for the flywheel they list for the '57-'66 engines.

9. belair

belair

I think street rodder did a multi-part series on building a nailhead a few years ago. I think the cam has clip/snap ring that holds it in. you can do a lot of damage if you try to remove the cam and don't remove it first.

10. belair

belair

Forgot-the 322/good tranny is longer than the 264/pos trans. that is why my 322 tri deuce sits on the floor of my garage and my '55 gets around with a 264.

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

What ever you do, don't jump into rebuilding a Nailhead with your eyes closed. You are going to spend alot of hard earned money to do it correctly, I know.
    My 401 is almost done.......

Attached Files:

12. Gary:

If you are putting the Nailhead in front of a Ford Tranny, I have adapters for you.

Jay

13. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

Jay - I was planning on using the S10 trans adapters from Bendtsons Transmission adapters.

BelAir - I have the issues from Street Rodder 1997. The build is a 401.

Glenn - Would like to know some details on your build.

Thanks!

Gary

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

The biggest problem with 50's era Buicks is the TorqueTube and the tiny transmissions that came with the 264 cu. in. engines. If I remember correctly we used the big late 40's Super and Roadmaster tranny's when replacing the 264's with larger nailheads.

15. ricknroll

ricknroll

Is this also true for a 401?

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

17. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Expect to spend a lot of money. Man I have $1700 in machining, after market parts and I'm still not done.

18. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

SBC water pump pulleys bolt right up. MMMM chrome. Allows you to run an additional belt if needed cuz you can get SBC pulleys for several belts.

Most SBC thermostat housings bolt right up to the water crossover tube on the front of the engine. This allows you to angle the top radiator hose in just about any direction you need to. Great for usin' them thar purty chrome ones too. MMMM, more chrome.

If yer looking for a 15", steel, four blade fan (so you don't have to use some plastic POS) an early Mustang fan works great. The blade pitch, compact size and identical bolt pattern make it great for a the tight confines, if used on a hotrod, and still provides the general look just about all of us are after.

19. ricknroll

ricknroll

Awesome info, thanks.
    I had no idea that a SBC pump would bolt up. Thank sort of explains why Autozone has them and they only run about $40.

20. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Hey Ricknroll, I said the fuel pump BLOCK OFF PLATE bolts up. I have no idea if a fuel pump would work (rod length and all). Sorry for any confusion.

21. ricknroll

ricknroll

Oh, I see now that you said the pulleys bolt up. My bad.

22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Standard fuel pump isn't going to bolt up-the arm is muuuuch longer on a Nailhead.
    But again, one listed for a '57-'59 Chevy big truck, with 322 engine, will bolt up. Externally, it looks like a regular SBC fuel pump, but it has the long arm for the nailhead.

-Brad

23. vintakes

vintakes

if you need a performance cam i have some NOS new never installed isky cams from mild to wild 165 - 175 ea john

24. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

Ok, for the stupid question of today. What kind of power are we talking about from a 322? I know, I know..it all depends on what you do. It would look nice sitting in my '50 with say 2 - 4's, or 3 - 2's, a mild cam, and some other inerds work. Is major head work required, etc? What about the valve train? Bottom end? Would this be like spending $5,000 to get 250 HP? Now I know why everybody just buys a $3,000 crate SBC. Not me of course, but I know why!

25. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Good info for when my girlfriend and I begin the rebuild on her Fireball in her '54 Roadmaster. Anyone have tips for getting good hp and/or torque out of one? Anyone using the intake from these guys? http://milrproducts.com/index.php

On the same note, any tips for getting the Dynaflow to live behind a powerful 322?

26. Judd

Judd

Gary
    You can use Crane valve springs #99891-16 for lift to.475. The 364/401/425 springs will only work with stock cam with out binding. Postons in Atmore, AL made 264/322 performance cams. The 56 322 cam is the biggest lift and durration stock cam but you'll need to change the cam, lifters, push rods, and distributor gear as they are different metal hardness. The 53 to early 55 motors with oil fill tube in the valley pan have a windage tray that will bolt right on all 322,s.

Attached Files:

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

If it were me I wouldn't bother with a 322. If you need Buick power go for a 401, 425 or a 455. It will save you all kinds of money with better results.

28. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

Gman, I think you are right!

29. JRussell

JRussell

qoute If it were me I wouldn't bother with a 322. If you need Buick power go for a 401, 425 or a 455. It will save you all kinds of money with better results............................ But if you are buiding a 50's style hot rod you use a 50's style v-8 not a late 60's,if it was easy and cheap every one would use a 322 nailhead...Joe

Attached Files: