Register now to get rid of these ads!

Top Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 31, 2007.

1. Moonglow for me too.

2. kustomkat

kustomkat

One of my favorites is Frank Monteleone's 56 Ford convertible that ended up in Hot Car Girl movie.. Another one was also Barris built "Panoramic Ford" 49 Ford chopped into a hardtop with Studebaker front fenders.. Keith Weesner built another beautiful example with similar ideas..

3. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

1st Hirohata merc. 2nd Moonglow. 3rd La Jolla.

4. crash 51

crash 51
    from FTW,TEXAS

man that is tuff! La Jolla or Grapevine? I cant say...

5. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

I GIVE UP!!! Can't find a pick, but my favorite is the Dave Auten Jr. built '50 Buick from the early 90's.

6. Flatattack

Flatattack

[​IMG]

I'm with you Gotzy!

7. My vote is for the Clif Inman (Joe Wilhelm built) 57 Chrysler.

Here it is from the March 1964 issue of R&C:

[​IMG]

My father (& I) always loved this custom ... in fact, in the early 80's he located the car in the Fresno area:

[​IMG]

... and later purchased it for film and record producer William E. McEuen ... McEuen solicited the talents of Rod Powell (@RodP on the HAMB) to restore the car's body & paint to its 60's glory!

Unfortunately, this custom is very rarely seen ... it was shown at the GNRS in the 80's, at Powell's Picnic in 1990, and at the 1996-97 Oakland Museum exhibition Hot Rods and Customs: The Men and Machines of California's Car Culture. It is rumored to still be stored in one of McEuen's warehouses.

Here's a more recent pic of the car:

[​IMG]
    image from the Aspen Film Society website.

For more info and pics of the Inman Chrysler, be sure to checkout 296 V8's "chopped black 57 chrysler custom?" thread (just click HERE).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

as soon as I saw HEMI 32 I knew that was going to be your pick. all those chrysler 300's at the house must have pickled your brain.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

... I always thought la jolla was a bit odd looking. bradley is a great artist, but there were just a few things on that car I did not care for. the earnst chevy blows it away in my opinion.

10. for me it's hirohata. i saw this car in one of my dads old magazines when i was about 9 or 10 (1977 or 78)years old and it literally changed my life. i've never heard it called the 'hawaiin' before, but, in 'cross country in a kustom' hirohata calls it the merc-o-lac.

Attached Files:

11. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

My alltime favorite custom is Leroy Goularts '51 Ford built by Gene Winfield.The styling was fantastic and at the car shows it was unbeatable in semi-custom coupe.

12. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

only because the look of the ar is timeless and i have spent more time then most on the un seen things restoring the car.

it goes to frank marata with 00macks 49 merc pic is from 1956 hartford ct world of wheels show

Attached Files:

13. Appleseed

Appleseed

As much as I want to say Moonglow, I'll have to go with the Hirohata Merc. When I was a kid in the 90s I thought all that tweed and billit crap was cool, but even then, I thought of that Merc when I thought of custom.

14. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

As my screen name implies Moonglow still knocks my socks off. It was a low budget homebuilt by a guy with an artistic eye.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Sonny Daout's Plymouth Wayfarer's a close second to Moonglow, I don't have any pics of it though.

16. wz56km

wz56km

Hirohata was hands down my favorite until I saw the Ernst Chevy (or clone) in Kustoms Illistrated. I think now its my favorite. Like your mom Ryan, I was blown away by the color scheme. I think it took giant stones to try those colors together and it was a home run!

Fasi, I hope to see yours in real life one day since I'm a Michigan guy myself, only I'm 3 hours south of you... But I can still dream.

17. Are you kidding me! it's th Sam Barris Buick, not a whole lot smoother or classier than that, the best kustom in the world. Rags

18. Ed Kimball

Ed Kimball

I say that Starbird's Predicta might be the greatest Custom of all time

19. Wow ... what an amazing statement for your very first post.

I'm not a fan of ANY bubble top cars ... but that's just me.

Anyway ... Welcome to the HAMB!

20. Holy Macaroni!!!! I cannot believe I forgot this car!!! I'm so embarrassed....:eek: Gun or no gun Ryan, I have to change my vote.

Hemi32, thanks for those home pics of this great custom.

21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

22. rumblytruck

rumblytruck

Count me in for the Hirohata Merc. it has always been THE Kustom to me. By the way, Matranga Merc second and Moonglow Chevy third.

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I know I'll get roasted for this but I don't think anything Starbird's built is an aesthetic masterpiece, over the top and non-functional maybe, but well designed...nah.

24. FASI

FASI

For the Michigan Kustom fans, come to the Central Lake Car Show Sat. June 9. This is 20 miles NE of Traverse City The Ernst clone will be on display along with several hundred other cars.

25. Sam Barris Buick

26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

27. Ed Kimball

Ed Kimball

Well i have been trolling around for a while, thought i would dive in head first!

28. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

ok, for me it's always been The Connecticut Yankee 1950 Ford Convert, originally owned by Jim Karcher, and owned since the late seventies by my good friend Ray Soff....i love this car!!

Attached Files:

29. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

00Macks Merc. 1st from the East Coast!

30. scruff

scruff

For me hands down it's the Bettancourt merc; it looks like a half gone bar of soap shooting out of your fingers.