Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paso? Why not move the Party?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry O, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Punchy

Punchy
    from Orange, CA

The wife and I waited until the last minute this year to start looking for rooms but if gage78 or anyone else has any leads or could help me out it would be much appreciated. We'll be splitting the room with a friend so I need 2 beds. Thanks.

2. RF

RF

They should just move the show to SoCal--LA County Fairgrounds to be exact. I know Jay's already in the process of selling Billet Proof to Jesse James, so it's just a matter of time before we absorb the Paso show, too.

3. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Amen to that! I've said many times on here that Paso is the car show. We just started out wanting a show like Paso. I think that most that have been to both will agree that we now have our own kind of show.

Having said that, I hope that Paso stays Paso. I've only been able to get out there one time, but I couldn't imagine it anywhere else.

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've had a car at Paso every year since 1993, and it's still my favorite event of the year. I don't like the way the Friday cruise is managed as well as it once was; there are more ratty cars than I like, but I finally figured out where to stay and where to eat and I love the whole weekend.

I think there are as many businesses in Paso that support and welcome the event as there are who dislike it. I don't think it's likely to move any time soon. I sure don't think that Pomona has the same ambience at all; I hope it doesn't end up there.

As for the owner of the Inn: Tom Martin bought the place around '99. He was a shrewd businessman and a neat guy, but he had no interest in the event. The changes made to the Inn during his ownership didn't cater to the event at all, but I wouldn't characterize him as "greedy" any more than any other innkeeper. He died two years ago, and I guess it belongs to his widow now -- gage78, is that correct, or has it changed hands since Tom's death?

5. gage78

gage78

Tom's wife and daughter are carrying on for him

6. BBBad2dabone

BBBad2dabone

What's the name of the new place being built on the end of Spring Street with150 to 200 rooms that's being built?

7. I think Penny and her son are getting tired of running the show after all it was Rich's dream to begin with. Yes they do a hell of a job that is so overwhealming that it takes a special person to cope with it all. She has a large group of people that really come through for her ( WCC members and staff ). I also think that the city messes with the show and WCC because all they want is revenue for the city. They keep putting demands on the show which create large problems. I went to that show from 1983 to 2006 then moved to WV. I saw alot of changes in that time and was a member of WCC for alot of years. I want to be able to go back to the show soon so I for one hope it keeps going for a long time, good luck, Rags

8. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

Just for a late record, Tom Martin is not the man I was referring to. Can we say it's the son-in-law.

9. I love Paso, its a great show, its THE great show! Penny & WCC do a helluva job, and I'm sure it just keeps getting tougher to put on as it has grown & grown. Lodging is a bitch to find, but it can be done if you are willing to work at it, pay, or get lucky. I can fully relate to the residents who do not seem to be hip on the show & the crowds it brings, I live in a smallish town right next to Pebble Beach & we get SLAMMED in the summer & at golf events, races etc & it SUCKS sometimes.... A few years back there were a lot of cuff brigade, pompadour posedown, greaseriffic idiots bombing around like a-holes which I'm sure did not endear the show or its fans to the locals & the police. I understand where Kirk was coming from on another post regarding the demise of the drive inn as partially being a good thing. Through all the stupid things I have seen take place at Paso I have never felt unwelcome in town and other than the high hotel prices never felt gouged either. The hotels around here gouge the F*&k out of people during events to the point that law suits & government investigations have been brought because of it, thats the hotel business (sometimes) for ya, or "what the market will bear" as they say.

Remember we are guests in Paso (cept those lucky enough to live there and have a place to stay during the show), what we do reflects on the show & WCC, the business community is there to make money (within reason, lodging gougers F-you!), but they do not "need" us, and as the town gentrifies as is happening and they have more wine type events etc... we will become less desiriable to them. What I fear is the show becoming a victim of its own success, so support it in any way you can, quit bitchen, be cool, enjoy it while you can (hopefully for many years to come), and call for hotel rooms EARLY! Oh yeah and the Paso Inn has the cleanist best restrooms near the park and I think that counts for something!

10. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I still think somebody with WCK should lobby the city or county and move the show to the fairgrounds. Tons more room and less congested and even an area for people to park their travel trailers just like during the fair, plus the large parking area across the street. Kick those bicycles out we're bring more money in then they are anyway. I've gone to car shows at the fairgrounds many times so it can and has been done.
    Just my 2 cents!

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Re: Paso? Why not move the Party?

because then it would be the West Coast Customs Cruisin Nationals .. and Paso would no onger exist. kind of like the Oakland Roadster show. while I'm sure the GNRS is a great show, 50 years of tradition went to the shitter when Oakland left Oakland.

12. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

i've been going to Paso since '93,
    but i've never been to Paso for other than the car show.

This year instead of leaving sunday afternoon,
    we stuck around til after 9 pm.
    95% of the car people had already left.
    The place is dead!
    The Paso show is like the Cruise Ship going to some far off Island,
    where the locals dress up and sing and dance for the tourists change.

If you were lucky enough to go this year,
    you'd see the crazy gang-like crowds around the bowling alley sat nite,
    amassing the street, cars racing around throwing seal bombs.
    All the bars were packed til 2AM with various clubs and friends.
    All the rooms are full at double occupancy.
    The cops'll let ya off on a warning as long as your not drinking.

If the city lives off 2 shows a year, the wine and WKK events,
    than fuckit, gouge the rooms, sell us $5 beers
    there'll always be another buyer,
    but not another town that'll let us takeover like that.

TP

THANKS STEVE!!!

13. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

I agree, supply and demand. I think it's funny how people act "suprised" that they can't get a room at the last minute. Seriously, the car show seems to sell out fairly quickly every year. It's no secret when the event takes place, and unless you've never ever been to Paso then you should know to book a room as early as you possibly can. I went to Paso this year and it was better than ever, I've been going since 95 or so and it's definitely gotten crazy crowded since then, WCC continues to make it a great show though. Like a previous post said we are guests there, so act accordingly

14. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

LOL Locals dress up!

15. I spent 2 nights at the glorious Wal Mart parking lot. you can camp there for free, and as long as you arent an ass, nobody will mess with you.

Walmarts all over allow overnight parking, and that one is just down the road from 1st and Spring.

Thats where I'll be next year for sure!

16. skooch

skooch

Hi, First time post long time lurker. I'm surprised that some people think that the town as a whole isn't supportive of the show. Did you see the crowds of people lined up to watch the cruise on Friday night? Many many locals. All my family still lives in Paso and they think the show is great.

17. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I always wondered if I was the only one that thought some Paso residents were kinda rude. It just seemed like more often than not the businesses/people treated us like we were a nuiscence or someone to exploit to get the maximum profit from, and now get out.

I'm sure they have their reasons, and I'm not demanding priority service or anything, indifference is fine, but why ya gotta treat me like an unwelcome guest, or worse a mark to be duped. Just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Then again maybe I'm just a whiny little girl.

18. It seemed like everywhere I turned, business owners were asking us if we were in town for the car show. They seemed genuinely interested and said they loved it when all the cars and business came to town. I guess it just depends on where you go, but everyone was friendly towards us...tattoos and all.

Bryan

19. laloszephyr

laloszephyr

this post is getting old just like the rumors that it's going to be the last paso, i personally over heard penny talking about next year and the changes she needs to do.i have also asked penny about the rumors while i was at her house del. my registration,in her own words she said the show will go on as long as she and her family can do it. i love this show and it gets better each year,i make sure i'm on top of my room reservations, save money to spend while i'm there and i guess i'm special because i've never felt or had anybody act rude to me or my friends while partying at any bar. the round up is not the new paso, because the quality of customs and hot rods that show up to paso from everywhere,why move the show, it would not be paso!! :confused:

20. Lucky444

Lucky444

I'm not associated with the Paso Inn or any of the businesses there. Just another spectator for the event. Alot of bagging on the Inn and businesses there, but I have to say, everytime I waltzed into the Paso Inn just to use their bathrooms (made filthy by heavy use) not one of the people at the front desk batted an eye. In fact all I got were smiles. That's alot coming from employees of an Inn where people, some who are not guests, are leaving their empty beer bottles and assorted trash all around the premises. The trash and traffic that that small town has to deal with over the weekend is enormous and I thought they handled it pretty gracefully. Paso forever.

21. GOONZ

GOONZ

Every Year I Have Fun Whether I'm At The Frosty Or At The Park Instead On Fri Night. I Was Bummed The Frosty Was Gone, But It Still Is A Great Show Where You Get To See Cars Debuted And There Aren't Many Shows That Get As Many Customs In One Place. As For The Businesses, They Treated Us Great And Why Not, Like Everyone Else Has Been Saying It Is Probably The Best Business For Them All Year Long.

22. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

The reason they ask you if your there for the car show is so they'll know what to charge you..... Just Kidding!! We need to lighten this up a little.

23. 60'coupe

60'coupe

This is only my third year going to the Paso Robles show and I think it's getting Bigger and Better, We've stayed at the same place 3 years and the people remember us and give us a break on the price and they seem to like us staying there (maybe because we are in bed my 10:00). We also went to the Round-Up this year and had a great time and I think we made some lifelong friends. All of the Texas People we met were some of the nicest people we both ever met and we look foward to seeing them next year ! I look foward to both shows and will continue to support both shows as much as I can !

Rob

24. kustomkat

kustomkat

The good old days were staying at Camp Roberts for 20 bucks a nite, and racing back to Paso...

25. 33 Dodge

33 Dodge

I was coming up Spring street about a month ago on my way home from San Louis, and saw the empty lot where the Burger Joint was, and about ran off the road! That was a kick in the balls, thinking about how awsome that corner was for people to cruise up to. As for Paso as a whole, If you are looking for rude people, you will find them. If you are looking for the best car show on the planet, in the most awsome country on the planet, in one of the most beautiful spots in California, you will find it in Paso. Oh, and for the best drag strip just make a right onto 46 and stay fuckin straight and you're at Famoso. End of story.

26. That would suck at the fairgrounds. It'd lose a lot of ambiance(?). People cruising Spring street all day during the show, people hangin on the Inn wall across the street, the feel of the park, etc. I think it'd feel like just another show at the fairgrounds. PS-even without the A&W, Paso rocked this year. Never missed it. And if it moved, like asked earlier? Hell, it wouldn't be Paso.

27. Low

Low

I in fact enjoyed the no A&W. I mean I did miss the pompadour posedown but I think I will live. I had a much better time on Friday walkin around and checkin out multiple spots rather than just hangin at the AW

28. suiside

suiside

This was my first time I have ever been to Paso. It was great, i still dunno what people mean when they say the town's people hate us?? Everyone I met including the Taco Shops were great. I went alone, because I am a loner and have no frenz and cuz I love cars!! I met some great people down there from Venice and they took me under their wing and be-friended me! The only complaint I have is that the hotel, were my new found frenz were staying, were being pricks..they stayed at the Almo/a Hotel.. (behind the gas station as you exit the 101)...the manager/person in charge was going in and out of various rooms with a camera taking pictures, not cleaning up. some neighbors got kicked out saturday morining for having pot in the rooms..now i dont condone drugs but the pot belonged to somone with a medical card..they still gave them the boot and stole some money from the room..and all they said was if yall have a problem call the cops!! they then turned around and rented that room for 300 that night!! WTF?? wut kinda shady shit is that..i would of called the cops if i had the medical card!!