Register now to get rid of these ads!

The KidVrod buildup.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hebster52, May 31, 2007.

1. Hebster52

Hebster52

I thought I'd post this project in an own thread. Originally it was intended to become a soapbox racer but the project went off the original plans allready the first week...
    Some of you have probably seen it in a Suicide frontend thread I started last year.

Yeah, yeah it's another Volksrod... Not really though.. Atleast it is powered by a flathead engine... ;)

As I have a few other projects waiting with major metalwork ahead I also took this "tiny project" as training of different metalworking skills. (After this the repair of the -36 Ford Pickup cab will be a piece of cake... :D )

The main features of this car is that it is based on scrapped beetle bodyparts cut to create a 3/4 scale Volksrod. The wheelbase is about 74 inches, total lenght about 100 inches.

The first cut was done May 29th 2006, in other words one year ago and the finished car will be on the first show next week...
    The drivetrain is built by using the engine and transmission from a Murray driveable lawnmower. (8hp Briggs & Stratton) and the finaldrive and driveaxle from a snowblower. The frontaxle is a Ford Anglia I-beam narrowed 5 ½ inches with nonsplit wishbones. Steeringwheel is custom made in Airplane alumininum and Mahogany.

Here are the slideshows from the buildup and a photo with the body stripped to baremetal.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LiOK5FQL-78
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-FypbA5ptpo
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fjj1RSYiq6o

In bare metal:
    [​IMG]
    (the VW heads are just for the dummymotor but the exhausts are connected to the B&S and work...)

2. Matty Dog

Matty Dog

It wasn't until I watched the YouTube clip that I realised just how damned impressive this car is. The skill involved in getting all those curves to work leaves me in awe.

Having done all that, you need to put a BMW motorcycle boxer motor in it and get it on the road! Forget the lawnmower engine!

3. Been watching this on the Samba board, amazing metalwork....!

=]

4. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Impressive fabricating skills! I can only imagine a hopped up Crosley motor in it, to Really make it Traditional!! Great Job!:cool:

5. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

I gotta tell ya that before I watched the 1st YouTube clip I had no idea that that thing wasnt a plain ole Bug. After seeing this I wish that I lived next door to this Master of Metal, that is great work. Every one should check this out.

6. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

I take back the part where I called you "a" Master of Metal. After viewin all three slide shows you are "The Master of Metal" Are you sure Ron Covell isn't hiding in your garage.

7. Anderson

Anderson

Thats the coolest go-kart I have ever seen.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nice work... but why a dummy motor? That's pretty silly...

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Hah, kinda cool. Until you mentioned the "flathead" was a Briggs and Stratton, I was assuming it was a Ford or Mercury V8. I can't imagine what it would be like to drive a 3/4 scale Volkswagen with one of those!

Impressive work.

-Dave

10. The B&S runs. It's the Volkswagen heads that are the "dummies" to make it look like a real VW engine is there. You know, to make it look like a traditional Volksrod. ;)

11. screwtheman

screwtheman

Cool! I was following this build pretty close on Volksrods.com and kinda' forgot about it. :eek: Good to see it come together.

12. It'll be neat to see it finished.

13. I have been doing the same, I thought there would be some negitive feedback sharing it on this board. Glad to see people are finding it as fun as I have.

CBB

14. Hebster52

Hebster52

Thank you! Means a lot coming from you guys! It will be primered and painted this weekend as I will attend the first show with it the following weekend. By then I will have a video or two up on Youtube with it driving.

And believe me the 8hp B&S is more than enough for my 5 year old to handle. I had a blast when I testdrove it. Yes, I managed to shoehorn me into it and drive it! :D The BMW boxer is under concideration as an evolution... ;)

15. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

that is insane. so freakin cool. it's a ridiculous amount of work but looks like fun.

16. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

I went to Bug Run in Sweden yesterday. And the kidrod was there.
    thought id share some pics with you.

[​IMG]

NO Im not the Hebster, Im just standing there so you get a feeling of the size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awesome work, and now he just have to find a 32 3W and cut it down to quarter scale ;-)

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

Wow....

Huge amount of work.

Some lucky kid gets to drive that?

18. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Some amazing fabrication...I wish I could fit in it!!

19. Hebster52

Hebster52

20. Hebster52

Hebster52

21. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

that is seriously sweet...the first pic it looked like the full scale....then I scrolled down and saw that big ugly dude standing next to it and got a true picture of the size....highly impressive....

If anyone knocks ya round here they dont know what the heck they are talking about...yah maybe not true HAMB material....but it is (if that makes any sense whatsoever...)

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That thing is pretty incredible...

23. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Wow..........the soapbox derby races are in KC next weekend and I hope to go to them and watch the kids......I tried to talk a buddy's kid into running one and we had someone to pay for the car, but his wife kinda' shot it down...

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

24. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Hebster52: Congratulations for making a full feature on nation's #1 publication!!!!