Register now to get rid of these ads!

lakester style headers....loud\quiet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motorbreath, May 30, 2007.

1. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

Im going to use a lakester style header on my sbc, but i want just the headers with some removable inserts to make it tollerable for daily use, that and to keep the po po off my ass. Anyone got recomendations for a brand? style? i was thinking of welding them to a turndown that would just clamp on with a set screw, that way i could take the whole thing out when i want to run open. Thanks for the info......

2. I plan on using a Supertrapp flame-arresting muffler. Either the type shown or the other style that has a 6-bolt connection. If I decide on the latter I'll add a ring with the correct hole pattern to the end of the header cone.

A turnout hasn't been ruled out either.

Attached Files:

3. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

thank you Richard D, i looked but i guess not hard enough...:D

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Somebody in the last week or 2 had another idea about adding a baffle to their pipes, although I can't remember who it was or the name of the thread.

He took a glasspack muffler and welded a bolt on adapter so it could be removed from the end of the pipe flange. He then cut a portion of the outer case off of it, and slid it into the header pipe to create a baffle.

Maybe someone will remember and step in here with the thread link.

5. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Go to yer Harley dealership and ask em if they have any take-off stock mufflers. Typically they do and give em out for free since they are just goin in the trash anyway.

Cut each one in half, measure the length and shove it up inside the cone. Now, measure the distance in from the edge and drill a hole on the bottom side of the header cone so it isn't very visible. Make sure you drill throught both the header cone and the outer case of the muffler. Thread a stainless sheet metal screw in the holes you just drilled to hold em in.

Instant muffler with a good tone. Carry a screwdriver and pliers in yer rod juuuuuust incase you wanna pull the mufflers out. Quick, simple and easily removable on the side of the road when you wanna uncork it.

Ran that exact setup on my nailhead for about a year before I just decided to leave em out cuz I love it loud.

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

A friend of mine uses the preforated cone baffles on his dragster. Fits into the collector, and significantly dampens the sound, although it might not be quiet enough for every cop. Maybe two in series would work.....

7. chop509

chop509

Here ya go:
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1977809#post1977809

Haven't run them down the road yet, so I can't tell you about the noise level.

8. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Yup, that was it! Any update on how they sound outside of the garage?

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check with Hank at Hanksville Hotrods in the Denver area. He's a HAMB vendor and a SUPER nice guy!!! He may have what you need and you would be supporting the HAMB as well.

Cheers!
    Scooter

10. i've got a set behind my nailhead, and you can ask all my friends they are quiet...they do have harley baffels in them and it is loud in the cab of the truck, but freeway and idle, they wouldn't be loud enough to draw attention by the wrong person....

11. I run glass packs as we all know they burn out eventually and mine have it seems like it took forever. Now I have basically a straight pipe but we butterflied them to the front and out the lakes pipes sound loud and has a bad rap to it, I LIKE IT LOUD!!!!! Rags

12. Johnny....did you wind up doing the super trapp thing? If so how did it work out....noisy? quiet? in between? how did you mount them to the cone? I was thinking about doing a 4" turn out that winds up facing about 75-90 degrees away from the car and mount them into that...is that how you did it?:)

13. I haven't got to it yet. :(

They mount by installing that flat bar edgewise in the cone and the center bolt has an offset in it that "hooks" that bar and compresses the assembly.

A couple of friends have 'Trapps on their cars (Chev V8's) and they are not only quiet but they have a nice mellow sound as well. Remember, you can adjust the loud/quiet thing by subtracting or adding discs.

14. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

I've been using a glass pack insert with mine, with a slight turn down. Not quiet, but not obnoxious either.
    Pat

15. Ray Frey

Ray Frey
    from Arizona

I had these made by Lake Headers
    Matt did a great job for custom made from photos
    The Insert was rivited in
    I drilled when I sent to plater for Copper Plating
    Reinstalled Baffels they also came with caps so I could make as loud as wanted
    But Olds not loud so I cut about a third off from inside can still drive on street no po po issue
    I undo 2 machine screws and nuts each side about 2 min ready to rock
    The smart ones only tuch once
    The slow ones a couple times
    Ray

Attached Files:

16. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Cap the header off,and Just run you a down pipe off the header out under the car with a full exhaust system. Then when ever you want to make some noise take the plate off.

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

18. thats great idea, but car planned and purposely built with no exhaust UNDER the car...but...I do have room outside the rails (A-bone's) just under the body for some sort of 3" max dia. side pipe/muffler with an exit in front of the rear tires with a turn out....IF I wanted to go that route....and now I'm looking at a set of IMCA shorty headers from Schoenfeldt...maybe put the connector for the side pipe stuff on the collector tube and cap off the collector....hmmm...the possibilities. anybody had any trouble with exhaust fumes or co2 with the lakes or open header setups (without under the car exhaust? Seems like that might happen...just asking the question cause I dont know..:)

19. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Imo, That's Gay.

20. DALEMITCH

DALEMITCH

go to carchemistry.com, they have baffles for patriots, limefires, ect....dale

21. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Lakeheaders.com Matt Will Set You Up. He's A Nice Guy To Do Business With And Get To Get Plenty Of Info. From. Baffles Are A Snap To Put Together. Plus There Are Different Size Restrictors

22. A Rodder

A Rodder

I specifically want to know by those with experience with the baffles that matt makes and sells what the think. I bought and built a speedway set last year for my sedan and they are a pain to do. I have them ran under car thru glasspacs and also built a baffle with the vw stinger style glass pac for turnouts when they are uncapped. I believe with the restriction that they provide that about 50 percent of the flow is still going down and out the rear, no problem it is not loud but when you are close to the car you can tell they are open and sound good. But I bought a 33 pick up and I don't want to do anything under the car. I want to buy matts but just don't know if his baffles alone will muffle it enough. My ears ring non stop as it is. Currently the truck has a SBC with fenderwell headers with supertrapp baffels bolted to the collector, They are worthless and I removed them and cannot tell one bit of difference. So how well to his baffles baffle?

23. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Thats way to much work for a car that doesnt need to be resticted. IMO the harley inserts are best :)

24. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

I think Matts headers are the BOMB! I have a set on my 32 roadster and I tell everyone they are the best thing I have purchased. I love the sound without baffles but most states don't like it. I normally run the baffle without the caps on the ends that Matt makes and it sounds nice and strong without being too loud. But I think Matt builds an awesome product! I would buy again...

25. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I get asked every day how loud my baffles are. Whats loud to you and whats loud to the next guy is what makes this a difficult question to answer. It's not a muffler and it won't ever sound like one! The CC kit comes with caps for the inlet and outlet of the center core, adding the caps helps tone it down.

Now I am also working with a new stainless spiral baffle built specifically for my lake headers. Marx has a set in his sb chevy powered model A .. We have been tuning the baffle with caps and have found with the solid cap on the outside is the premium sound he wants for his hot rod. They are available now, but are not on my site yet- Pic attached of this baffle

About 75% of my lake headers get baffles. I have been selling the CC baffles for 4 years now and am very happy with customer feedback.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  26. A Rodder

A Rodder

Matt will these baffles be the same price at 200 welded up. And what is the key difference in why a guy may go with the new baffle spiral design versus the old style.

27. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I am currently running a motor cycle baffle that I have 3 pieces of grade 3 steel wool. I unrolled each piece and wrapped the baffle and then put in the end of the header. I have a bolt through the bottom of the header that goes through a nut that I tacked to the end of the baffle... the cap the mufflers with the turnouts that speedway sells... for me that sound is just about perfect...

28. marx

marx

Sorry it took me so long to post this. These are the headers that Matt mentioned on my sbc, and using the new stainless spiral baffles he now carries. First video is with caps removed and running straight through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRqkdLTuUo

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  29. marx

marx