Register now to get rid of these ads!

UK Reliability Run, Pic's galore

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daisyduke, May 27, 2007.

1. Thresher

Thresher
    from Austin, TX

Fantastic pics! What kind of reactions did you get from folks you ran into? I can't imagine. :)

2. Essex Chick

Essex Chick

Yes Clive running out of petrol was very funny! Glen and I were just behind him when the car stopped. The look of total bewilderment on his face was priceless!! His words were " I don't understand what's happened everything has stopped working"!!! I couldn't stop laughing!!

The run to the Ken Wallis museum and meeting him was brilliant, he's one of the most interesting people i've met. His stories of everthing he'd done, the war, reconnaissance missions etc were amazing and i think a few of us would like to arrange to go back to hear more.
    It was hard to believe the guy is 91 he even gave us a demo in the Autogyro and did a stunt! Some of the guys are probably calculating how much it would cost to build one!!

The whole weekend was superb, the run, pub, music everthing. Even the rain going home was funny we all got soaked and that's part of rodding isn't it???!!

Thanks Phil and Ratty for all the organizing, I can't wait for next year and hopefully everything will go according to plan and maybe i'll finally be in my own car!

Karen x

3. Great pics! How the hell does that Clive guy fit in the car? He looks huge compared to the roadster in that pic of him adding gas. Hope the cars will be at the Hayride, look forward to seeing them in person! Though I think I spotted Adrians coupe in there.....

4. Essex Chick

Essex Chick

And his girlfriend Alex has to fit in there with him! Luckily she's skinny!!
    Yes, most of the cars will be at the Hayride!

5. Good thing he is wearing an oily old Trailmaster jacket, probably helps him slip into the car!

6. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I've only had the rear cover off and the gears out so far. There's a little scoring on the gears but nothing major. I think I'm going to be OK to be honest, it was curiously noisy for only a matter of a hundred yards at slow speed and I didn't hear anything that sounded like a major breakage.

How loose was your pinion shaft? Mine was only a couple of threads from tight by the time it was discovered.

7. Looks like a fun time was had by all....Nice to see you all out, despite the rain!

8. Fallschirmjager George

Fallschirmjager George
    from Indiana

Great pics, looks like a good time - Didnt Davey and Karen show up this year?

9. tshirt_tony

tshirt_tony
    from UK

Its hard work following Clive when he's in his roadster. The whole car tilts to the left. It even stays left when he's taking left turns. I can only think he built it that way. I've never seen him turn right, but that must be a bit scary.

10. tshirt_tony

tshirt_tony
    from UK

Karen was there, looking for new blood. Trouble was, we were all a bit old.
    Davie shot of to California last year when he could not keep up with Karens demands.

11. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

We had a blast it was great to be invited along.:D
    Here are a few pictures for you to enjoy.

Attached Files:

12. Essex Chick

Essex Chick

Sorry Tshirt you're wrong i'm looking for something old, called Rod and it's not of your species!!!

13. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

:D :D :D

14. bigken

bigken

Very cool coverage - excellent pics and looked like a blast of a time.
    Many thanks, good to see the action on the other side of the pond.

15. The pinion was totally lose and was flapping inside the centre section. One nut had its thread ripped out and the other had completely unwound.

After limping home I had to remove the gears in the back just so I could move it around otherwise the rear end would lock up.

16. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Well mine certainly wasn't tht bad. I'll try and find some time this weekend and investigate further. Wish me luck!

17. Well - amazed as we all were to see Ken, even more so to see him fly, how blown away to find he'd sent me pictures...

[​IMG]

18. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

This is definately a HAMB calander picture....
    Great photos Thanks...

19. bonesy

bonesy

20. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

21. Found I'd taken a pic of the Ken's old hydroplane - plus here's one of the cool outboard that powered it to his win. His matter of fact description of the back of the boat being awash with the blood from his knees made me marvel at the old fella. All this before he started building autogyros...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus the fact he seemed to have invented slot car racing during the war... bodies on these beaten from brass sheet and the motors taken from some captured German bomb aiming equipment!

[​IMG]

and who's this smiling fool not looking where he's going...?

[​IMG]

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That aerial picture is truly incredible, yup it needs to be a HAMB calendar pic.

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

S'alright, I was looking for my ciggies at the time. Jac was holding the wheel.....

24. 'Nuther good reason for quitting then sir...!

25. Well - here's a short vid of the day, including our man Ken taking the aerial shot!

26. hershambob

hershambob

ken for primeminister,cool vid ,,thanks

27. Essex Chick

Essex Chick

Hey Phil
    I can't open up the video link here at work. If you email it to me direct do you think i'll be able to play it?
    x

28. Ratty

Ratty

Ace vid Phil !

29. Here's a few more pics from the day - still sinking in seeing the old boy for too short a time really! Plus one I've shamelessy borrowed from someone else's visit the month before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That one really does it for me. Humbles me. This man had lived lifetimes by the time he reached my age. What the hell have I been doing?! And he's still here, throwing this collection of sticks and wire in the air, waving at us!

30. Essex Chick

Essex Chick

How fab would it be to sit round a camp fire with a few beers listening to more of his life stories, heaven! Wonder if he'd be up for it?