Register now to get rid of these ads!

Memorial Day Remembrance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by damnfingers, May 25, 2007.

1. damnfingers

damnfingers

I found this on the Web -

Memorial Day used to be a solemn day of mourning, a sacred day of remembrance to honor those who paid the ultimate price for our freedoms. Businesses closed for the day. Towns held parades honoring the fallen, the parade routes often times ending at a local cemetery, where Memorial Day speeches were given and prayers offered up. People took the time that day to clean and decorate with flowers and flags the graves of those the fell in service to their country.
    "Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided republic." -- General Logan - May 5, 1868​
    We need to remember with sincere respect those who paid the price for our freedoms; we need to keep in sacred remembrance those who died serving their country. We need to never let them be forgotten.

2. old beet

old beet

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

I couldn't agree more,....... and a heartfelt "Thank You" for this post.

4. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Now more then ever! GOD BLESS this country.

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thank you for this post,,,,too many people take things for granted nowadays in my opinion,,

6. Big Dad

Big Dad

I started a post about this ..it got zapped but..

Thank you to our..list not limited to..
    Military
    Police
    Fire departments

Past, Present and future ...Your gift to the USA does not go without
    notice

My total respect to all

7. my sons, both active duty Air Force

Christopher and John

I talk to them often but I miss 'em something fierce.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. My father and his younger brother Pete served on two different B-17's in WW2. I never got to know my uncle Pete as he died when his plane went down over Europe. Fortunately, my father made it home (obviously or I wouldn't be sitting here typing this) after 26 missions. Here's a picture of my father in his B-17. He lived to be 84. He died a year and a half ago. I miss my father and I miss the fact that I didn't have the opportunity to get to know my uncle Pete. This weekend I will visit their graves and put flags on them . Two brothers together again, they got a lot of catching up to do.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's a picture of my Dad in a training plane he sent to his brother. On the back of the picture he wrote a short note telling him that the plane was a good little plane and a fun trainer.
    [​IMG]
    And lastly I was very grateful that my sons and I got to take my father to see a B-17 that flew into town. It was a great day of sharing for myself, my father and especially my 2 sons.
    [​IMG]
    .......sorry if I got long winded here.......just felt like telling a little peice of their story.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did my time,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tip my hat to all who have and are serving.
    I'll have a beer for my mates that didnt come home.

10. TREBOR

TREBOR
    from Arkansas

I visited the D-Day beaches just last week, saw the museum, cemetery and walked on Omaha beach. It was an eye opening experience.

11. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

my brother in law and my father in law
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

my buds briz and james in iraq with our bar shirt!
    and briz and me at our bar when he got home!!!
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    makes you wonder why we have so many folks here in our country talk shit! sad!:(
    GOD BLESS THEM ALL!

Attached Files:

13. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

good ol gramps!(with the pipe) 5th marines, san diego training. 1950

[​IMG]

14. belair

belair

Don't forget-those guys (and gals) didn't sacrifice their future so we could go to some damn sale on Monday. Fly a flag and shed a tear of gratitude for the price others paid for us.

15. Memorial day is my favorite day of the year to be an American. The other hoildays have various meanings but only on Memorial day do we honor those that have believed in the pricipals that are country is based upon enough to have given up their life. On this day I am most aware of the sacrifice that is necessary to live in a free country. I usually go to a town nearby that has an excellent service. The different branches of the service are represented by a retired member. Each branch reads off a list of veterans that have passed away during the last year. They have a speaker and the high school band plays. It's a special moment for me.