Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jalopy Showdown Feedback *PLEASE*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skate Fink, May 22, 2007.

1. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

We're going to get together with "Scary Larry" in the near future and have a "debriefing." Trying to go over the glitches and looking for improvements for next year's event. It would be VERY helpful for everyone to contribute your feedback. (constructive critism welcome)

A couple of MY observations:

1) We need to designate a "Handicapped Parking" area in the infield

2) Better traffic flow over the bridge from/into the parking area

3) Someone asked me at the gate about dogs? I said that I didn't see a problem. WRONG!!! NO DOGS ALLOWED!! It's in the rules and my dumb ass hadn't read it. Next year, NO DOGS WILL BE ALLOWED! Sorry.....

4) More wrist bands. We ran out this year!

PLEASE post your suggestions and I will print them and bring them up at future planning sessions. Bottom line, this is Larry's "baby." We help a little but without all of YOU, there wouldn't be a show. This thing is a blast and it raises funds that support the Eastern Museum of Auto Racing and the Seven Valleys Fire Company.
    Thanks to each and every person that supported this years show either by donation, assistance or by coming through the gate. We look forward to seeing you next year and hope to make the event one to remember..............

2. Muggs_Von_Yinzer

Muggs_Von_Yinzer
    from Pittsburgh

Do it TWICE a year!!!!
    I trek in from PGH to the showdown.. and would do it bi annually with pleasure.
    Also maybe add a bit more of an approach to the bridges to the campgrounds... THey are a bit steep and tore out my buddies trans pan...
    Other than that.. I look forward to another awsome time next year..
    (Yea I thought dogs werent allowed.. I boarded mine)

3. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Had to wait for the "StreetRodders" to leave so we could take our cars back to camp. Didnt really have a problem with them parking in our camps. But thats all I could really think of. Thank God it started to sprinkle rain.
    Had a blast. See you in 08.

4. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Not enough Johnny Ace.......

5. sxdxmike

sxdxmike

twice a year would be awesome...but im sure thats just wishful thinking. i really have no complaints. best car show i've ever been too.

6. haring

haring

No complaints.

No changes.

Congratulations and thanks to everyone that helped.

I only showed up and had fun, so thank you.

7. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Thanks.........

8. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Yeah, What he said. Spring & fall:D

9. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

heres a few that come to mind

*"rat rod" parking outside with the street rods....we almost got our line of roadsters T-boned by an unsafe looking vehicle and a girl in a wheel chair was between us and the car...scary!

*i still think ligning the cars up around the inside of the fence in turn 3&4 is best...it keeps a single file line and keep people from jipping in...nothing worse then sitting in a long line to run and seeing the same car go more then once infront of you or seeing people from the pits just back into line
    also i think this would help with people crossing the track, as one car comes in, one goes out and a group of people can cross untill the car comes off turn 2 or something

*PRE 64 change to a slight bit older....60 & back maybe? (pre-war :D)
    seemed like i saw a few post 63 cars inside...the newer stuff really sticks out in pictures and whatnot.

*....2 SHOWS A YEAR!!!....or.....how about monthly?? :D
    i know myself and the group i came down with would all rather have 2 dirt track jalopy showdowns then have drag races

really all in all i thought it ran really smooth this year and i had a great time

Zach

10. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

It is a great show. There is very little you could do to make it better. As far as the cars in the show, I would hve muck rather looked at Zachs buddies stock chevy than some of the stuff on the infield.

Concessions could use some attention. It seemed by the time we were eating about the only thing left was dogs, nothing wrong with that, but it would have been nice to have a choice. I ended up buying a cold burrito with uncooked rice. It would have been great had it been warm.Great show, with an awesome crowd. Every one was friendly, and the show staff was great. I will definately make the trip from Indy again. I dont know if I can do it every year but I will do it again.

Thanks!

11. What do you(and I say this with respect) consider the differance between "rat rod"(main streamer def.) and traditional rod?:confused:

12. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

I think you should have a special area just for people to unload their cars off of the trailers.

And maybe sell feather dusters. It gets really dirty at the track. Haha.

13. haring

haring

My intent here is not to turn this thread into an argument about rat rods. This thread is first and foremost a collection of ideas for Scary Larry.

But to answer the question, below are two photos that clearly illustrate the difference.

TRADITIONAL RODS:

[​IMG]

14. haring

haring

15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

sorry , dont mean that in a negative way
    just the vehicles that dont look like they would have existed in the past

i dont want to have a debate over any of this, just my opinion...i think people know what i mean...and im not going to name anyones car in particular
    because to each their own in what they build and everyones car deserves the same bit of recognition for the effort to build it...i just think that the infield and running on the track should be reserved for cars that in a photograph look like they could have existed in a certain period of time

not necissarily period correct....but traditionally styled which it mentioned right on the poster and advertizing

"traditionally styled pre 64 hot rods and customs"

sorry for the confusion
    Zach

16. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

Not to argue but I enjoyed looking at both of these sets of cars. Call em what you want, I liked them both for different reasons. Not the rust-T but the other one in your pic there, under the rough exterior I thought it was done quite well. I liked the hand clutch and a couple other features, to exclude these cars would cheat everyone out of seeing some of this ingenuity.

My opinion is the same with the fiberglass bodied cars that were there, were they old steel? NO. But was it nice to check out oher people's ideas about what a hot rod should be? YES

17. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i dont mean to exclude certain cars entirely
    just have a special area for cars that stand out as "not traditionally styled"
    the same as they have for street rods/stock cars

honestly i think that stock cars should be alowed in if they're older then a certain date...what really sets a stocker apart from a "traditional" hot rod? they would have coexisted at the same point in history

fiberglass to me really makes no difference at a show..they look just as cool when sitting in a row

Zach

18. Clark

Clark

Zach..you showed up late so you missed a lot.

I think the track time works good just as is. We have a nice flag system between the starter,flag tower and the pit exit. I was afraid that the line was gonna conjest things a little but Larry said it was OK.

The only car that I know of that jumped line was 999. I sent a couple of different drivers out in it. It was sorta a rent a car. One of the guys helped write the article in Rodders Journal and deserved a ride. He had to experiance what he wrote about....fair?

Most of the other cars that went twice were there early and just got back in line.
    Clark

19. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

Alright, I could deal with that. I just don't want to exclude some of the cars that I, and others would enjoy, even if they weren't traditional.

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

yeah i dont mean to exclude anyone or call anyone out...i thought it ran very smoothly this year

people running as many times as possible isnt a problem
    i wish i would have gotten there earlier and just contunied to get in line...i sure had fun when i got out there! :D

just some ideas to throw out there that myself and others ive talked with were mentioning...

i liked how the set up was 2 years ago with the line in 1&2
    it left a single file path and seemed safer for people crossing the track?
    i know last year we got there earlier and parked in the pits near turn 3 and then were immediately parked in by the line of cars waiting to go on the track

everyone who helped is greatly appreciated and the show is such a great thing to have im glad that it can continue to grow and still run as smooth as it has

but since opinions were asked for....

21. scarylarry

scarylarry

Thanks for starting this thread Pat and thanks for everyones opinions. We will take everything into consideration. The whole point of the show is to support the museum and we all are basiclly volunteers. Everyone was VERY happy at the board meeting last night when I handed over the check from all of YOUR support...so thank you. This is not a perfect set up so things get into the show that probably should not be there and some are left out that should get in...we try our best. I dont like when cars are trailered there...some do. Drive the freakin' thing!!!Some guys come a very long distance for the show, they get in with stuff I personally dont care for but I gotta take that kind of support. The only way I could get the show I WANT is do an invitational and at that point it would be a very small show! I really think this show has as much to do with the "feel" of the location and all the great people that get together to hang out and enjoy each others company, sharing ideas, look at cars (even if they dont quite work for you), learn a little about metal shaping, buy some junk at the swap meet, check out the bands,and have a little clean fun. I dont think it would work at one of the many local dirty regular sprint car dirt tracks...they just dont have the same feel...make sense?
    Less debate, more ideas please.
    By the way, anyone wanting two shows, we are doing the drags in Sept. Try it, Beaver Springs has a VERY similar feel but in a straight line! I'm working on getting a pretty famous drag racer to bring a car to make a pass or two for us...more later if I can put it together.

22. Thanks for making it clear what your intensions are. Might be a good idea to limit the cars more when the lack of room dictates it. In the 4 years I've went, I think the show needs few adjustments. Thanks guys!:D
    Frank

23. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I think it went off pretty dam good once again, there are some parts to look through as well as some pretty great Hot Rods , watching the guys lap the track is super entertaining and the walk through the museum is well worth it. In my eyes I summed it up as a great day and I think everybody that puts a hand in on this meet does a great job......I don't think I saw a sad face in the place.

24. Hot Rod Heidi

Hot Rod Heidi

I definately had a great time...thanks again to everyone! I can see peoples points on certain things. The concessions were at times very crowded and it was difficult to navigate the track area with different vendors, lines of cars, and people and vehicles moving about. I think that Larry does a great job pre-planning with signs and whatnot however once people show up in masses it's hard to stick with the plans.

If anything more of us need to volunteer and ask others to help out. The volunteers are what really makes this show run without major problems. Maybe taking more time to lay out a map of where to put things and setting some rules then maybe having a meeting with all the volunteers online the week before. Maybe even getting the info out on the HAMB so once people arrive they can have the knowledge to do things on their own and support the guidelines in place would be a benefit. Overall...great show!!!

25. cadzilla

cadzilla

the good thing is the respect that every one has for the place . i was realy inpresed with all that went on the place was left clean . thats a good thing. i am all for doing two a year . you dont want to start adding to many rules then we have good guys and we would all hate that . the place is as much the draw as the show that goes on . thanks larry and every body that helped . great show cant wait for the next one . tim

26. Hot Rod Heidi

Hot Rod Heidi

I agree with that...everyone does a great job respecting the location by keeping it clean and all. And by rules I was kind of referencing the guy who earlier stated about no dogs and he didn't realize it until later. Maybe having everyone know that ahead of time would help. I'm sure they communicate it (maybe in a morning huddle or something) but people come and go at different times so knowing it before the show could help...like emailing everyone that is volunteering the week of the show so they can read them and be prepared.

27. scarylarry

scarylarry

Just thought I would throw this in. It is from very late in the day, but it was too windy for my buddy to fly over when it was packed...oh well. :(

Attached Files:

• air3.jpg
      air3.jpg
      File size:
      74.8 KB
      Views:
  28. I like this show the way it is.

I guess if I gave any kind of improvements it would be to maybe have announcers or someone tell who is going around the track...kinda like a real race, but without the race? Because unless you are glued to the fence, who don't know who or what is coming. For pictures sake I guess?

I liked the metal work show, that was cool.

29. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Tokyo,
    Glad you like the metalworking demo, what would you like to see? with the people and tools we had, we tried to do something basic and real world work like Sumo's rear tub section (where did the people go when we were doing that?). We need your input!
    Larry, Clark, Sumo and all the other who made the show possible, Thanks!!! you guys are the best! tt

30. Duck

Duck
    from Pasco, WA

First I want to say it was well worth the 1100 mile trip to meet up with the boys again. Larry, Clark, Mikey, Sumo, Keith, Johnny, J.T., John, Sawzall, Tok, Burger, all the wives/gf's and anyone else I missed. Thanks for making it feel like I never left.

As for suggestions:

-I agree with the handicapped parking, my shift parking I got 2 requests for spots near the handicapped bathrooms.

-I think a little planning needs to go into the parking and swap next year. It's a pain but I think it will pay off on show day. I'm sure the number of cars is going to go up again, so we need to be prepared. Maybe lay out the swap spots with lines and also mark parking rows. We also need more people parking; lining people up.

-Stop people from driving over the bridge. Send them around. No more busted master cylinders!

That's it for now, I may think of more later.

-THE Duck