Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need a steering shaft u-joint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Where do I buy a u joint for a steering shaft?I am putting in a column w/a 1" shaft,but hooking it to a 3/4 "shaft.The shaft w/the rag joint is 3" too long.Do I just cut it w/a sawzall,then grind a flat spot onto it?What is the proper name for this joint?

2. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I just did this same thing and got one from Speedway for about $65 bucks...worked perfectly.

3. sawzall

sawzall

are they splined or "double D" (my personal favorite!)

I wouldnt use the stock shaft.. as its likely hollow.. I would buy two new universal joints.
    one for at the "
    top (at the col) and one at the bottom (to replace the rag joint..)

check this..
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2031,,_Steering-U-Joints.html?itemNo=STEERING

ps.. check with the alliance vendors for a better deal..

4. Yes, you can cut the shaft and grind it to a DD (unless it's hollow, like Sawzall mentioned). When I did mine, I mocked up my steering with wooden dowels first which including making the cuts for the DD so I knew how much to grind off the steel shaft.

You can check with these guys http://www.borgeson.com/
    to find out which product(s) you need and then just order 'em from one of the Alliance Vendors.

***Edit: Dammit sawzall, I type too slow...now I look like of of those parrot-posters :D

Bryan

5. john56h

john56h

6. I am thoroughly confused.From what I can see,All I need is a plain ol u joint,Doesnt have to be "billet" doesnt have to be chrome,just needs to have 48 grooves on one end and DD???on the other.Cut my shaft & if its hollow,hammer it into shape,drill a hole through it & the joint,put a bolt & nut on it and drive away..am I missing something?

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have a few of these if they'll work for ya.

Attached Files:

8. Looks like what I need..Phone # ??

9. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Unisteer Has The Nicest, Strongest U Joints In The Industry. Any Combination You Need And Polished Stainless For $65 Plus Their Pinch Bolt Design Is Much Better Than The Jam Nut The Others Use, Also, I Had To Discard My Borgeson Setup Because The Angle Was More Than Their Joint Would Take. I Put A Unisteer On And In 30 Minutes My Problem Was Gone. Unisteer Has A Much Better Range

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

one thing missing is the safety aspect of it. Gonna have any family members riding with ya? Think about their safety if not your own. Might as well go to the local plumbing shop and get some parts like this guy did.

Attached Files:

11. Borgeson has u-joints in plain old unplated steel.---with exactly the end configurations you need. And yes, even the plain, unplated steel ones are expensive as Hell, about $85 as I recall. and yes, if you trust your welding skills, you can get one at a wreckers for about $10. Just don't tell the guy at the wreckers what you plan on using it for. The wreckers around here are so freaked out about liability suits that they won't even sell used wheel nuts!!!!!

12. I found what I need and should have closed this post a coupla weeks ago.Thanx everyone.

13. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

I'm wondering about using tractor PTO shafts... Got a few on various bush hogs, etc.

Thinking to cut off the 1 3/8th side, weld on the steel half of an old rag joint on both ends.

Overkill to the max, but a hundred bucks for a shaft could get two joints.

What yall think?

14. Rocknrod---I have seen people use the universal joint out of a craftsman 1/2" drive socket set in their steering shaft. That doesn't mean its right, or safe. The final decision has to be yours---after all, its your life that will be ended if the steering u-joint fails. Do you know what the maximum misalignment is on your PTO universal joint before it starts to overstress or bind? Does it have needle bearings in the spider? Is it 'industrial use" rated or is it "steering safety" rated? If it fails, and you kill someone else, and are unfortunate enough to survive yourself, will the lawyers who are defending you against a 30 million dollar lawsuit be able to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that this universal joint that you chose to use, is "highway safety rated" and okay to use in a steering system on an automobile? Only you can answer those questions.

15. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

Good point... I was thinking 30 horsepower diesel was overkill, but probably not a good place to play around.

Thanks

16. UNISTEER

UNISTEER
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for the kind words Bert!!! We do offer polished stainless joints in just about any configuration. Take a look at our website for more details.....