Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cody440, May 21, 2007.

1. cody440

cody440

The plan is to swap the flathead six with a 318. Anybody have any advice on this? buy the motor mounts or make them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

first thing you do is buy a welder and learn how to use it. do not get one at Home Depot.. go to a welding supply place.

remember this... cars come apart WAY easier than they go back together. if that motor is good put it back together and cruise.

3. cody440

cody440

no the motor is not good, and i have a welder and can use it

4. big one here...make sure the drivers side exh. manifold will clear the steering box.

I did a plymouth w/ a V8 swap and I had to have "custom" made headers made.

If you decide to put rack and pinion on it for steering, then forget what I said above. :)

Otherwise, it fits nice and looks good.

As for motor mounts, set the motor where you want it (ie: suspend it/mock it in place), and build up to it from the frame.

Hope this helps.

Orignal flathead sixes are easy to find and cheap to get. If you can stay w/ that motor, I would. Sixes are cool...and are torque'y bastards.

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Kingfish said newer 318's are skinnier at the bottom than ones from the 60's. Might be worth looking into before picking up a motor.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

If that isn't an understatement.