Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you using for a shop phone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, May 19, 2007.

1. A cordless that rings LOUD! I've returned 5 or 6 phones this week because they ring like a little mouse

2. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

you can purchase a ringer that plugs into the back of the phone.we have one at our shop and it is loud as hell.it is ony 3 inches by 3 inches.the ones we have have a low-med-loud settings.you can get them at Radio Shack..hope this helps.

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old lady walks her pretty little butt from the house to the shop, sticks here head in the door and goes....

HEY!!!!!!!!!! Answer the goddamn phone, will ya??!! It's one of your drunk ass friends wanting to ask you some stupid hot rod question.

But..for some reason, I sense that is not what you are talking about...

-Abone.

PS. Your coupe done yet??

4. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i dont want a phone to distract me when im working,,,

,,if im NOT working at the time and the phone rings,,i will answer it,,,

5. I'm betting "NO"..... because Groucho's too busy posting questions about telephones on the HAMB. :rolleyes:

JH

6. Actually, the chassis is ready for the body (motor, trans, driveshaft, chrome, plumbed, etc) which got final clear 2 hrs ago. I've been updating some/most of it's progress here on the HAMB in other threads

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181865

7. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Go to the hardware store and buy a phone line splitter and an outside phone bell. It looks kinda like a doorbell. I have one and it works great.

8. Problem is, i have the base in one place other than the shop, and the # 2 handset in the shop on it's seperate charger, but NOT on a phone line. Can i plug this auxiliary bell to JUST a phone line in my shop without a phone??

9. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Should be just fine.

10. That'll be good. So, hardware(?) store for the bell? Is it made for that?

11. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

sound powered teliphones.

12. ???????

13. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

14. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

Keep a cell phone in your pocket :)

15. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Purchases the Craftsman contractor phone (?) from Sears which is cordless. About $50 and its surrounded by rubber so when you throw it at something it doesnt break.
    Worth its weight in gold....Also bought its repair service for an extra $7. When I drove over one a few months ago , I just brought it back to the store (in several hundred pieces) and they gave me a new one. Cool.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-27413-Durable-Construction-Cordless/dp/B000J02AL8

RAdio shack also sells a loud bell ringer for like $30 if you need to hear it in a big shop .

16. fuzzface

fuzzface

When my parents had a smaller company they installed outside bells that reminded me of the school bells. They came from a local telephone guy. I live half a mile away and when i'm outside I can hear there phone ring. Now they have a full time employee just to answer the phone and the neighborhood is relatively quiet again. Steve

17. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

stay off the phone and get to work!

18. you're kidding, right?

19. brandon

brandon

a buddy has one of these.....thinking of getting one myself......as for the phone bells..... a friend hooked me up with some old school style phone bells.....loud enough to hear over a buffer or grinder....:D brandon

20. I had one of those. Pretty good phone. Nice, loud ringer and durable as mentioned. But, I found myself needing 2 handsets for a couple reasons. It looks like the 10 dollar bell from Radio Shack oughta do it, thanks

21. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no phone line into the garage but I did have a spare cordless. So I took the guts that contained the transmitter/receiver out of the base and along with the a/c adapter, I placed that in the house and hooked it into the phone line. I then took a spare a/c adapter and hooked it up to the charger terminals of the now empty base to keep the batteries charged out in the garage. Low buck

22. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I had a old wall mounted dial phone mounted 7 feet up on the outside of the office, with a long cord that would ring pretty loud.and you could always find it, and when all those people wanted to use my phone I would say there it is and they would try to dial it on there tip toes and keep mesing up ,get fustrated and leave , sayin I,ll just go use a pay phone ! and people quit asking to use my shop phone. haha called it the inconvence phone ! pre cell phone days ,had a cordless but used that for shop biz . nowaday`s cell phone in pocket set on ring & vibrate.

23. TheBirdman

TheBirdman

My grandfather always had an old rotary phone with a loud bell in the garage. Now he can't hear well enough to hear that, so my grandma answers the phone then plugs in the vintage police siren he mounted outside the house. He hears that and knows to look outside the garage and see whats up(the garage is detached and across the yard). The siren also serves as the dinner bell.....

Bird

24. moefuzz

moefuzz

I am stuck in an era prior to planned obsolescence...

Yes it works just don't use the hand crank unless you are REALLY pissed at the phone bill you got last month.;)

The hand crank has been known to instantly fry the phone companies digitial circuits from ten miles away in the time it takes to rotate the crank 360 degrees.:)

Attached Files:

25. i use something like this:
    you can also tap into the light and wire in a bigger one.

Attached Files:

26. gasser55

gasser55