Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stockton Wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, May 14, 2007.

1. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Oh you've already got it on the tire. Nevermind about the pic then. Can you tell if it's a one piece rim or did they cut down a wider rim?

2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

They said they cut the center out of a truck pattern ( 5 on 5 1/2)wheel, and used a 4 1/2 inch outer rim, welding the center in. The center is Kelsey Hayes, not sure about the outside. I don't remember if there were any welds or witness marks on the inside, before mounting it, to suggest that they narrowed a rim. Its been a while since I mounted 'em... hope that helps...

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Yeah, I heard about that a while back...the TSB said it was for the upper ball joints, and if you heard them clicking when you turned to go get them replaced. It also said the replacement was good up to 100k miles; I'd just turned 110K.
    The one on her truck that died is the lower. Compressed the spring, and it all came apart on its own. YIKES! bad bad bad. The ball joint went into the lower hole on the spindle from the top down, so the control arm was resting on the spindle (actually, the ball joint body, because it hangs out there in space at the end of the control arm), so the spindle couldn't come away from the control arm and cause an accident. But it did start to eat the spindle.
    Not good.
    A close look at the wheel and it's all good.
    -Brad

4. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

I had to have mine replaced too on my '99 R/T. Of course, the Chrysler replacement plan only covered vehicles back to 2000. How convenient.

5. mad-cad

mad-cad

I used stockton wheel for the 18 inch rims on the back of my sedan,to start with they had written down the specs wrong,then it took weeks for them to make the wheels.
    In the future I 'll have a go at making them myself using wheel components bought from Miller wheel and tire http://www.millertire.com/ for example they sell an 18 X 5.5 inch rim with no center for $65.

6. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

To update the whole mess, the wheels came yesterday. AND THEIR WRONG!!!! I ordered "The Henry" centers and got "The Milner" centers! So I called out there, "Frank" the "owner" tells me I'll have a set in the overnight UPS tomorrow morning. We'll see...........................

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I HAD THE WHEELS ON MY SPORT COUPE DONE BY STOCKTON ...

YES IT TOOK ABOUT 3 MOS

BUT ... THE PRICE WAS RESONABLE & I EVEN DID A LIL PARTS SWAPP'IN WITH FRANK & HE KNOCKED $150.00 OFF THE PRICE.

BUT THE DECIDING FACTOR OF GOING TO STOCKYON WAS THIS....

I CALLED EVERY WHEEL SHOP I COULD FIND AND THEY ALL TOLD ME THAT THEY COULD NOT MAKE THE WHEELS I WANTED.

WHAT DID I WANT ??

SIMPLE, I THOUGHT & STOCKTON MADE THEM.

TAKE THE CENTERS OUT OF '50 MERCURY WHEELS & PUT THEM IN A 4 1/2 INCH RING.

REVERSE THE REAR '50 MERCURY WHEELS & WIDEN THEM TO 7 1/2 INCHES.

EVERY ONE TOLD ME NO ONE MAKES A BARE NARROW RING TO FIT THE MERC CENTER ... AND NO ONE WILL WIDEN A WHEEL ..

BUT STOCKTON DID IT, FAIR PRICE & OUTSTANDING QUALITY :cool:

8. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

They are personally banned for me. The owner of the car was furious when the wrong wheels arrived. After I got off the telephone with "Frank," and told my customer what happened in the conversation (Frank even read the work order off to me, "two wheels, drum brakes, stock offset, "Henry" centers, 15x8). Then the car owner called out there to complain himself, and "Frank" had gone home for the day. The dude then proceeded to tell my customer that, "now that we know what Mr. Tully wants, we'll send the right ones overnight." Can you F@*!ing believe that! Frank had just read to me what the workorder had on it from Jan. 9th when I had placed the order. I guess they must have meant that I "wanted" them to send me the wrong wheels, then send me the right ones. Oh yea, I almost forgot, I "wanted" them to make me wait 5 F^@*ing months for the wheels too!

9. RedFox

RedFox
    from ca

my dad works right across the street from them so i gave him 2 model A wheels to take down and have straightend. well they never called so i called them and each time i sat on hold for 30 minutes with little to no progress..

eventually they THREW AWAY one of the wheels because they said it had rust or something and couldnt be straightened. They never called and asked or said anything

they are making no atempt to pay me for the wheel and the most they would do is throw in a set of spider caps in on a set of wheels and tires that were way inflated in price.

10. Dougan

Dougan

Stick with WheelKid.

I've hade a couple of sets built to my specs and they turned out great. I was so happy with the quality and service, I became a dealer for them and now I'm having them make more wheels for a couple of turn-key Graffiti projects a freind of mine has going.

Great people, excellent quality, and a fair price.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

"You don't have to settle for the wrong wheels just because they're close to right.". Straight from their website. I was considering them for wheels for my '29. Not now.

12. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

buy from wheel vintiques! they are good

13. fastrichy

fastrichy
    from ne ohio

they said they would fix my raders if i would let them weld instead of rivet them together. the outers are steel the centers are aluminum. i hung up the phone.

14. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Im on my third set of Wheel Vintiques and not a complaint once. Fast service and delivery in a few days. Buy direct fromn them.:D

Don't worry it's only a small rash.

15. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

Exactly.
    Joe @Wheel Vintiques was awesome. Put the new wheels on today.
    Couldn't be happier with the wheels and service. :D

I have bought from Frank at Stockton Wheel. NEVER again.
    Nothing but endless lies and B.S. :mad:

Lance
    :cool:

16. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

17. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

Frank at Stockton Wheel is an ass-clown,..and a fucking liar.
    Do not do business with them.

18. roadracer

roadracer

Here's my follow-up - I had to cancel my order with Stockton after 5 weeks. Nothing had been started because they couldn't find the centers. Took my money on 4/18. Cancelled on 5/24.

Unfortunately, 11 days later I still haven't got the refund, so I'm calling VISA this morning. :(

btw, Wheel Vintiques do the same wheel for 2/3rd the price...if only I'd known. So, I'm starting over waiting 4 weeks with them. Fingers crossed..

19. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

How come a company like Stockton is still in business today?
    They must only run on 'new' customers, and not many returning ones.

20. Advertising in magazines works wonders.

21. roadracer

roadracer

Absolutely. Before, I viewed them as a large reputable company based on the nuber of times I'd seen their ad. What I should have done is search on here first! Even when you're "sure" it's worth the 5 minutes to get other opinions...

22. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">they should be banned.My wheels took almost 6 mos nothing unusual, when I got them the v/stem holes were not drilled. what a bunch of dildos.
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

23. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I believe message boards like this serve a good purpose in alerting people to consumer problems. But to be fair I'd like to point out a statistic I read a number of years ago. On average a buyer who is happy with a purchase will tell six people. An unhappy buyer will tell seventeen people. (I tell everyone who will listen about my Verizon nightmare.)

Changing the behavior of a supplier is best accomplished by giving them this kind of feedback. Like many, I always assumed Stockton must be doing something right since they have been in business over 100 years. It just goes to show you the power of advertising in bringing in business.

24. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Stockton really screwed up my wheels.

Out of 4 wheels sent to be rechromed and rewelded back together they cracked spokes on 2 of the RARE wheels and burnt the chrome on a third.

Plus their chrome is crap. The lug nut area look like copper instead of chrome. I told them to make sure they used a anode down by the recessed areas to make sure the plating is deep enough in those areas.

Never Again

25. I realize it takes ad revenue to run a car mag, but how can a magazine thats supposed to be there to help us with our hobby take ads from a company that has the horrible rep of Stockton?

I'm sure they must know. Seems to me every major mag has a member or two that are HAMBers. No, I'm not blaming the mags, just asking them to help us avoid a ton of grief.

26. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

27. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

And getting them feedback about their service is just what they got (I'm sure) from every customer (especially those illustrated within this thread). And that's probably been going on for quite a time. Too me, it seems with the amount of excuses they give over such a long period of time to the same customer illustrates that they just don't care.

28. Magazines do not exist to "help us",
    and they obviously don't check out the people sending them money.

The company probably changed hands somewhere along the way.

29. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

OK .. IM NOT TRYING TO BE AN ASS HERE BUT I NEED TO ASK.

Seems you gave them just 5 weeks to build 4 wheels and then cancelled to put in an order to another company that says it will take a minimum of 4 weeks to build your wheels.

5 weeks dont seem like that long of wait ?

I have read this post, some guys have waited a fair amount of time, I personally waited about 3 months for some custom wheels from Stockton.

Granted, I had wished i got mine sooner.... But it seems like alot of guys here think that THEY are the only ones buying wheels from these guys.

I said it once & ill say it again....

ALOT OF THESE OTHER WHEEL GUYS YOU HAVE MENTIONED WILL NOT BUILD SOME WHEELS !!!

Every wheel company i called would not widen or put my centers in 4" rings .... '50 Merc centers in a NEW 4" ring.. Every one said the ring was not even made, but Stockton did all 4 wheels perfectally.

Maybe some guys are in wayyy to big a hurry :confused: