Register now to get rid of these ads!

291 DeSoto Hemi questions???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trailer-Ed, May 4, 2007.

1. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Just bought a nice 55 Desoto with a running 291 HEMI with low miles. I found many rebuild kits etc for it, but how available are intakes, trans adapters etc? I'd like to find a 4bbl for it and adapt it to a TH350 or a ford AOD or something similar. It has a good 2 spd auto, but I'm sure it robs lots of power. I bought it to sell, but if I have no takers I may try and stick it in my little 53 F-100. Any info is appreciated as I am new to these. Later, Rusty.

2. back seat betty

back seat betty
    BANNED

Hello,
    Check out a company called Hot Heads all they do is early hemis
    BSB

3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Desoto's are all on their own. And there is a differance in deck height between the pre and post 1955 models. Aluminum or 4 brl intakes are very hard to find. And when you do, be prepaired to pay dearly for them. I've had an Edmunds 2x2 for my 291 for 14 years and think I've only seen 2 others in all that time. The few others produced are just as hard to locate. Trans adapters should be pretty easy since they are the same as Chry and Dodge Hemi's. Do a search on here about Desoto's. You'll find plenty of info. Good luck on your project.

4. silent rick

silent rick

i have a 55 291 in my 46 ford. factory 4 bbls are hard to find. weiand 4x2 and 6x2's are out there. very expensive. there are a couple of companies with 4x2 and 6x2 cast aluminum intakes in the works. of course, you can always go the U-fab route if you like that look.
    as stated earlier, the trans bolt pattern is the same between all three families. i backed my hemi with a 700r4. something like a 2.90 gear in the 8 inch got me 23 miles to the gallon in the 46 ford.

5. Check out Wilcap for trans adapters. They make an adapter for damn near any transmission for all the hemi motors.

6. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Thanks guys, guess I may just be fabbing an intake!! Or just run the old 2bbl!

7. Gullwing

Gullwing

I am in the late stages of making an Intake to mount 4 X 2 barell Webers to a Desoto hemi. They will fit both short and tall deck motors. A boss for an injector is cast into the side if you want an EFI option. I am looking for a foundy that will do lost wax casting of a small run of manifolds as well as others interested in the project

8. Phil1934

Phil1934

9. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Don't want to Hijack, but does anyone know the enterchangeability between these and other early hemis?

I have a 392 that is in real bad shape - has set outside for 30 years. But there are some parts that are salvageable such as heads and so on.

What parts from the 392 can I used on my 291?

10. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

What parts from the 392 can I used on my 291?[/quote]

THE FLYWHEEL & BELL HOUSING (if its stick), SOME PULLYS INTERCHANGE, AND THE COOL BOLTS WITH "DCPD" ON THE TOP.

ALL 3 (Dodge DeSoto Chrysler) HEMIS ARE VERY MUCH DIFFERENT

11. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

If your shopping swap meets and the such be sure what you buy is what you want. These DeSoto's don't interchange and a 291 "'55" motor is all alone in the Hemi world when it comes to intakes

12. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

So, even things like valvecovers, valley pan, water pump, oil pan, oil pump, and so on will not work either? Just seeing what my options are. Sounds like I should revive the 392 if I want more options.

I have only recently looked at the condition of my 291 - its in parts and I helped disassemble it a few years ago.

The 392 is in an old 2 ton truck of my Dad's - its not a truck motor, but was installed as it was a tow rig/wrecker he had. It's been sitting under the hood, out in the elements (no aircleaner) for 30+ years. About 17 years ago we could turn it over - not sure if that is the case now... Just preparing myself for the worst.

13. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Valve covers will swap Desoto low deck to high deck, Chrysler, Imperial and Dodge have their name on the valve cover where Desoto is on the wire cover, other than that I don't know if they're the same size. WATER PUMPS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE! But Napa has them in stock!! Not sure about the rest of the parts listed...

Coca Cola will free the cylinders on the 392...

14. George

George

276 & 291 DeSoto use the same intake. You should take the 392 apart & see if it is cracked from freezing, if not it would be a good choice, even if you have to sleeve a bore or two. As said b4 almost nothing interchanges between DeSoto & Chr. Check out the Hemi Tech thread.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

There was a 4bbl intake in the classifieds recently might still be there.

16. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I sent a m/o for that intake already. Mine mine mine!!! I'm just goint to leave my 291 pretty much stock, probably run a 700R4 or a TH350. Biggest thing is finding a car I'd like to put it in!!!

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Same intake i have on my 276 running a 450cfm holley 4bbl, good score i had a hell of a time finding mine

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Dude.....I if had the option between a small desoto and the KING-392 that need a rebuild... the choice would be clear.......392!.....I f may be spendy.... but it would be worth it!

Wanna sell it?:)

19. panic

panic