Register now to get rid of these ads!

PRIMEDIA thinks we're smart!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, May 17, 2007.

1. 5window

5window

I thought it was pretty weird that HOTROD would offer me a two year subscription renewal at a special "insider" price that was $3 more than a new script,but I just got my special "insider deal" for renewing Street Rodder and the deal is $8 more than if I just started a new script.

I wrote to HOTROD 4 times without an answer. Finally just sent in my renewal with the new subscriber card and a check for the lesser amount. Don't think I'll bother writing to SR.

I understand introductory specials,but it doesn't seem to make much sense to stiff your subscriber base. You already know they are interested in your publiation. Oh,well, maybe the new guys will have more sense-but they'll pribably just raise all the prices.

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

You want a cheaper subscription? Check Ebay (I know, I know) for the killer deal rates. I got a 3 year subscription to Hot Rod for around $8.00! They've even got a deal on there now where someone is selling a 3 year subscription for $4.99!

I got 3 subscriptions (Hot Rod, Street Rodder, CCT) the day I purchased them, and they say it'll take up to 2 months to get them completely processed and delivered. I've gotten the Hot Rod already, and am just waiting for the others now. I paid around $20 for 2 three year subscriptions and 1 two year.

3. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Plus, if you renew with Hot Rod do they give you that nifty clock?

4. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

That ebay thing is no joke. Might take a month extra to activate, but I have gotten several subscriptions for next to nothing. Last one I got was a subscription for Guitar World for 2 years. It only cost me $8 plus I got two years free of Maxim and Stuff magazines. Nothing I would pay for, but nice to get some mags with some hot chicks for free.

Anyways...the ebay thing works!!

DuckusCrapus

5. TOE

TOE

If they're not going to give current subscribers a good/fair deal then do what Gotzrider said. Go to eBay and get a real cheap subscription.

I also got a bunch of stuff there pretty cheap. Got Custom Classic Trucks and Juxtapoz for less than $10 each.

6. that 2 months shit sucks! ive been waiting for what seems like forever for my playboy subscription to renew!

7. john56h

john56h

Be careful about some of the renewal notices that get mailed out. There are some scammers sending these things around and they are not affiliated with the Magazines. They'll take your renewal money and you'll never receive any more magazines.

8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I always use the newbie rate ( cheaper ) and mail it back in their renewal envelope ( postage paid ). That probably pisses them off,but it always works

9. ems customer service

ems customer service

Also The Guys Selling Subcriptions At Car Show Can Give Killer Deals, So Dont Be Afraid Of There Sometimes High Pressure Talk, The Deals Are Sometimes Good If You Can Block The Bs Sales Pitch.

10. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I got burned on mag subs on ebay...I get mine from a vendor who comes to the Goodguys Del Mar every year. Great rates and cool swag to boot...

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Beware eBay subscriptions. I got burned there too. They tell you it will be a couple of months, which is conveniently past the time where Paypal or eBay will help you resolve an issue.

As for multiple prices and multiple offers. There is likely not a secret plot to screw anyone. It's easy to have multiple deals going with a company that large and lose track of them. Just send in the cheapest one you find.

12. tjm73

tjm73

Introductory offers are an afront to loyal subscribers.

13. 5window

5window

Yep,Archaeology-a really cool magazine,but no cars-is really notorius for being scammed. Don't know why,they can't have that many readers and you'd figure most of them weren't born yesterday!

I've used the car show subscription guys in the past and usually you get a hat or T-shirt or something. With the York NSRA show in two weeks I figure I'll look there-but my SR renewal is "only good for two weeks"! :)

14. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Look whats up with HOT ROD now:

Magazine publisher Primedia said on Monday it will sell its Enthusiast Media division, which includes popular automotive magazines like Motor Trend, Automobile, and Hot Rod, to Source Interlink for $1.2 billion. According to a Reuters report, the all-cash deal is expected to close in the third quarter and will zero out Primedia’s debt.

Source Interlink, based in Bonita Springs, Florida, distributes magazines, CDs, DVDs and other entertainment products to over 110,000 retail locations throughout North America, and is part of billionaire investor Ron Burkle’s private equity firm, Yucaipa Companies.

Primedia’s Enthusiast Media group includes more than 70 magazines and 90 websites. Once completed, the deal will leave Primedia with its Consumer Source business, which publishes free consumer guides.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

15. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

There's a 2 year subscription to Penthouse for $3.74.....

16. Loyalty is a one way street, Media Monoliths are only loyal until they cash your check! I don't know how many times they missed mailing me an issue, I call customer disservice tell them the month, my suscriber#, etc..... and (drumroll) in a month I get 2 of the next issue, both delivered the same day.

If I did my job half as bad as the customer service reps I'd be lucky to have a job.

17. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

eBay is great if you're patient. It can take a while to get the first issue. I bought Rolling Stone for 4$ almost five years ago, and I'm still getting it.

As with any eBay transaction, check their feedback. If 10,000 people say they got their magazines and are happy you should be OK.

18. Remember the Good Ol' Days at Primemedia
    when multi-year subscriptions were less than the cost of postage ?

19. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I got a call from the Jeffery Taylor group offering me a deal on Hot Rod and Custom Rodder last week. I told the girl CR stopped in March, she said thats right I forgot I told her to forget it.

20. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

Yeah Hot Rod and Street Rodder will screw you - stick to Rod & Custom

21. JamesG

JamesG

My wife, bless here heart, got me a subscription to Street Rodder and I think I've gotten three issues. I haven't seen another in a couple of months.

They suck.

22. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

Aren't they published by the same company?
    DD

23. texdesoto

texdesoto

Don't you miss old Dad, Gray Baskerville?