Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas for a cheap body dolly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by double nickel, May 16, 2007.

1. I need to build a CHEAP dolly with pnuematic tires to wheel my 52 buick body on and off the lawn next to the garage. I was planning on leaving it there tarped until the winter but the neighbors are assholes and called already. Any ideas? I was just going to build a simple tube frame that can bolt to the pan using the mounting holes and use a couple of rear axle assemblies and tires off of a junkyard fwd car. Then just bolt a couple on the end of it and use my truck to pull it on and off the lawn.

Any (better) ideas?

Attached Files:

• car.JPG
      car.JPG
      File size:
      102.6 KB
      Views:
  2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

YOU have the best idea unless you need to turn and steer the thing a little.

3. THX_138

THX_138

Not that the body weighs a horrible amount...... but cement blocks have little strength used sideways like you have them. You might want to turn them upright.

An old boat trailer under it works perfectly.

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I built two like this one. The wheels on one end swivel so you can move it around. 1 1/4" tube frame. I just recently put solid tires on this one, because the pneumatic tires were always going flat. Stu
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

Get good swivel wheels from Caster City in Las Vegas. I've used them on a Vette I had to roll around. Worked great for me, especially moving from the garage to the driveway and back and turning in tight spaces. I have a '54 Buick and will be building a dolly with these casters as well.

Gary

6. Thanks for all the great ideas guys, I especially like the one using 4 x 5's as I already have 3 of those. My only questions is how to use pnuematic tires that can swivel. I reall need to be able to push it on and off the lawn.

7. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I have been using plywood with caster wheels and 2x6 screwed below. But I am doing this with smaller vehicles

8. THX_138

THX_138

Put your wood frame across an old small boat trailer. (they are verywhere for free)...those caster rigs are cool, but they will never work in the grass or loose dirt.