Register now to get rid of these ads!

..New Ride 53 Plymouth..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turbo.a.c, May 13, 2007.

1. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

I just got a 53 Plymouth Cranbrook im looking for some pictures of ones done up nice anyone got anything..? And does anyone know how these flathead 6 Engines are in these things im thinking about putting a V8 in it...thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. FOURLUG

FOURLUG

I think they are over looked as hotrod material. Google "Sniper". It is a 54 but you get the idea.

James

Attached Files:

3. BobK49

BobK49

I remember this about the 53 Plymouth flathead 6, split the manifold, add 2 glaspaks, and you'll LOVE the sound! I had one for transportation in the early 1960s (yes, I'm an old bastard!) and it was as reliable as any car I've ever owned. Wish I could find a good one now. Congrats on your "new" ride!

4. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

Thanks guys for all the help and i think i might try spliting the manifold sounds like a cool idea. And usally the old bastards like you are the best to talk too so dont sweat it.

5. use the search- type in flathead six, flat six, Mopar six, etc. there's a BUNCH of threads with solid info on your motor.

6. 53burb

53burb

I am a proud owner of a '53 wagon and these cars whether it be a coupe or a wagon are way over-looked. The ultimate is the "SNIPER" that Trepanier did. KNUX! P.S. about putting in a v8 the steering gets in the way.A freind of mine had this problem when he put a 305 in one.

7. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Hey postwar Plymouth guys, we are working on a front disc conversion for these cars, and if you can send some pix of the wheelwell area; brakelines, A-arms kinda thing- I would be quite grateful.

[email protected]

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Plymouth/Dodge flat six is one of the best dependable workhorse engines ever made. Not only used in Plymouth/Dodge but forklifts, tugs, and many other commercial applications.
    The cars are simple, comfortable, dependable, and handle well.
    Plenty of parts availability. A little stodgy in the design department but you don't see one everyday like Fords or Chevys either.

9. lolife

lolife

I had a 54 when I was in high school in the 60's. It had all sorts of problems on the freeway. Vapor lock was common, so I made a heat shield for the carb in metal shop (ugly but it worked). I think you can get a non-metalic spacer these days.

My 54 had the overdrive, and it was really nice. The reason I finally sold it, was the transmission crapped-out. First was reverse, then third. Big comfy seats. I really enjoyed driving it. I think the freeway probably did it in. I switched it to negative ground so I could install an 8-track player. AM radio sucked even then...

I later also had a 54 dodge panel, and it actually had a plymouth rebuilt motor in it. No matter what I did, it was a real bear to start. You had to play with the choke in about 3 different positions as it warmed-up. I didn't care too much, as the motor was going to become my future three-phase generator ;)

One thing I remember about the flathead, was that it was loud. Open the hood, and that motor made the most mechanical noise I've ever heard outside of a tractor. Hot! That sucker ran hot, and the whole compartment was hot. You can get about 10 more HP just by wrapping the fuel lines in asbestos :eek:

I was going to put a fatman kit in it and a ford 8" or 9" rear to get it down. Mopar likes their stuff sitting high, but down low they look pretty neat. The stock rear, tranny, and six are all pretty much junk in my book.

10. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

Any ideas on getting her low should i clip the front..? And any idea what rear end i could swap in there?

11. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

I was thinking about C Nothcin the rear and get rid of the leaf springs and putting in a 4 link in with bags or coils. Ive seen it done alot before but when coming to do it im not to certain and help?

12. Is that the one off of Ebay from Wisconsin...if it is good to see it made it on here. Cool , look froward to seeing your progress

13. They make awesome kustoms. I've seen several at Paso over the years and yes they have been way overlooked, they are nice rides. Rags

14. mustangsix

mustangsix

my first car was a 53 Plymouth Cranbrook 2dr sedan w/ od. I paid $40 for it, replaced the clutch and the u-joints, then drove the wheels off of it! I was 15 yrs old!

15. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

that green flamed one is mine and it is a fun car, i'm running a 302/c4 combo in it, and it just had cut coils and blocks in those pics..but its now mustang II front bagged, and getting ready to do the rear..will get some pics up soon, gonna try to do a tech on how i did the mustang setup.

16. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Back in 1962 my best bud had a more door that his Dad gave him, we run the wheels off that thing and I would not doubt if that thing is still on the road somewhere. I've owned 4 or 5 of those flathead six bangers over the years in both Dodges and Plymouths and they are bullet proof!
    Check out this nice '54 Dodge from Idaho.:cool:

Attached Files:

17. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Congratulations, you will hAVE A lot of fun with this car,,,,

For now JUST Drive IT,,,Take your TIME on diciding what to do,,,

Does it start and drive?

does it stop?

does it use much oil? or Smoke?

If it is in fair shape just drive it and do little things,,,

Is this your first old car? Have you had an old car as a driver befor?

18. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

A good powertain swap candidate would be the drivetrain from a Jeep Cherokee,,, buy the whole car for a few hundred dollars! they have,,

Leaf spring narrow rear end, with good gearing.

5 speed manual trany with HYDrualic throw out bearing,,,

p0werful Mopar 4.0 liter ( 242 ci ) INline six, that has is easily stroked to over 280 ci.

Using an INLINE 6 will be cheap, easy and fun,,no need for a new front suspension and steering,,,

Lots of HAMBERS know bout this engine combo,,,

seee,,,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179809

19. Cool looking car! I'm a fan of the late 40's early 50's Chryslers/Dodge/Plymouths.

20. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

Thanks guys for all the help and yes *louver dude* it is the one off of ebay i had to get it. I havent got it to run yet need to get a 6V battery the guy i bought it from said it ran about 5 monthes ago soo ill probley do all ignition parts and get a battery and see if she start some time this week.The body is pretty solid on most of it i guess it came from whyoming. There some rot on the lower body not bad though and someone before did a decent job on repairing the floors. *51fordshoebox* was wandering how you frenched your head lights on yours if you could give me some help on doing that i would appreciate at. Ill be posting pictures of progress soon.

21. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

And i was going to get a nice set of wheels and tires for it any idea of what the best size would be for when its lowered and what is the bolt spacing on these wheels how could i figure that out..?

22. 53burb

53burb

If you are going to beef it up as in 'cubes, go with a 318 or 340 and keep it mopar. As in wheels, go with the stock steelies and put on some spider caps. Paint 2 tone as in suede the bottom and flake the roof. Then drive and enjoy. KNUX! P.S. Bolt spacing is 5x41/2

23. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Once I get my frontend apart (2 rusted bolts that are not coming loose) I will ship thos rotors and spindles to you.

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

Here's my buddy's savoy... lot's of kustom touches.... almost hard to tell what it started as??

Attached Files:

25. 53burb

53burb

Now that's what I'm talking about. Thanx chaddilac. Keep us mopar guys up to date on your friends Savoy. What are the tailights out of? The split bumper in the back looks kool. Get your friend on here to post more pics. Tell him now he has to join the FAMILY! KNUX!

26. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

Damn that thing is really nice!

27. 53burb

53burb

My wagon is half rust, the motor has who knows mileage on it, had a blown head gasket for a couple of years and still ran and now that I had the head milled and it doesn't even sound like it is running at idle. KNUX!

28. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

I got her running today ill post some pictures tonight the engine is really not that loud its actually nice. Got no brakes though so well see how the first drive goes around my apartments.....

29. dirty_hands

dirty_hands

I have 52 cranbrook. I swapped a 225ci slant 6 and a 904 trans, a 79 chrysler station wagon driveshaft, and a 68 GTX rear end. the rear is only about 3/8'' narrower on both sides than the stock, which is not enough to create handling issues, but I did have to cut the old spring perches off and arc weld on new ones.

there are pictures of the body work I've been doing up on my *ahem* myspace blog: Plym build 2

30. synthsis

synthsis

We've got a 53 plymouth, only it's a sedan, let me see if I can dig up some pics.