Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a good Welder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, May 13, 2007.

1. Anderson

Anderson

Been needing a welder...one of these came up on Craigslist for a good deal so I bought it. Looks like it will work just fine for my use.

Anyone else use this one? Like it?

2. Be sure to get all the converstion parts to run gas, flux core is annoying at best, useless on sheetmetal.

I still haven't upgraded yet so I'm still using my Miller for awhile longer.

3. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

I have that exact welder it works good for what it is propably the best quality 120v wire feed ive seen or used ive been happy with it. the only thing i might change is the gas regulator is kinda cheezy might get a better one in the future

4. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

that`s a great little welder , use the gas. I used one a freind had , and liked it better than my big three phase miller. I bought the 220 one and if your going to be welding on frames or heavy stuff. go with 220 lowes have them for $660 ? worth every penny !

5. AntiBling

AntiBling

Like it's already been said, make sure you get a gas kit for it, because it's about only good for bodywork. I would get a 175-180 Amp output range if you want to do any frame work.

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5/16" is VERY optimistic for a 120v welder. I haven't had the Lincoln, but I had a Hobart Handler 120. I'd guess the Lincoln is probably best up to 1/8". Thicker plates would have to be angled to have any penetration and may require multiple pass.

What kinda money do they want for it? Make sure the warranty is transferable to you and, if you aren't an experienced welder, take one with you who can check it out.

If you're a newbie welder, check out the message board at www.hobartwelders.com . It's not just for Hobart and the guys will answer questions & try to help you out with any typer of welder.

7. the HD stand for home depot. Still a good machine but if you read the data plate I bet it say 90 amps just like all other 110v machines. Last year they rated em 1/4" now they claim 5/16". Its in the marketing.

8. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Check the duty cycle too.

I had a 110 wire machine and it drove me crazy -- about the time I'd get a good puddle and a nice bead started it'd decide to take a nap.

I upgraded to a 220v unit and have been much happier.:)

But I learned to weld with a 3-phase 300 amp machine.:rolleyes:

9. Anderson

Anderson

I paid $400 for it. It comes with the gas conversion parts and I plan on getting a tank this week. I don't have 220 in my garage and I can't rewire it since I rent. But I think this welder will work well. I'll be using it on various things and will tack up frame stuff with it...once everything is where it needs to be I'll take the frame to work a TIG it.

Thanks for the replies!

10. greezy28

greezy28

I used my 110 mig on my snowplow mount and it has been holding up pretty good so far. I did angle the edges of the pieces going together and I think that helped. I also used .035 flux core instead of using my gas becasue I was told it will weld thicker stuff better. I ran my plow into some curbs and hard packed snow a couple times and it hasnt broke yet. I of course would not trust my life riding on those welds though.

11. brownbagg

brownbagg
    from grand bay

it was only $459 brand new in a box with warrenty, was it a good deal.

12. i'll stick with my powcon, thank you! but if you're stuck with 110, it sounds like an ok deal. :)

13. I have a HD3200 It is a great little machine, BUT I would rather have the 220V machine. I have used them both, and really enjoy them. Yes my 110V does trip when I get a damn good puddle going, but I try to stick weld if I am going to weld something that thick, or borrow my friends 220V. It is nice to weld sheet, or thinner material. I started a thread on welding Sheet with it, and boy I got some great results, I started with the base that everyone was suggesting, and took it from there.

I don't know that I would have paid $400 for it, but if it is in really good shape and has some good consumables with it, it should be worth it. I will get you some part numbers for some new tips you need to try, they are bad to the bone, not flat or blunt like the regular tips, They have a nice point on them, and let you actually see your work.

you will want to pick up an extra Drive rolls too
    Drive Roll (.025/.035) (0.6mm/0.9mm) (KP665-.035)
    Drive Roll (.025 Smooth & .030/.035 Knurled) M16190

I will get the tip part numbers tomorrow when I am in the garage. I looked on the lincoln site and couldnt find the part #. You will want to pick up a diffuser as well, and an extra Nozzle as well(both flux and gas nozzles)

14. Anderson

Anderson

After tax it would be $495 and it was brand new in the box, so yeah i think i did alright smart ass.

Thanks for the "tips" a5window, I'd appreciate it!

And thank you for the advice blasted.

15. Rusty

Rusty

One of the best to learn on and will do anything you want it to do, I pretty much built two cars with one just like it. Good for you,

Rusty

16. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Is your Dryer in the garage? Something I've done in the past is pick up a 25' roll of romex from the hardware store and fabricate an extension cord with a 220 male and female ends to reach where I needed to be with my welder.

You'd cringe if I showed you or told you about the extension cords my dad used before when we built corral fencing! OMG, it makes me cringe just thinking about it.