Register now to get rid of these ads!

If you have some skills,Help out a neighbor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodknocker, May 13, 2007.

1. rodknocker

rodknocker

So this little boy has been coming down the street to play with my little boy,and he has some "challenges" (slightly handicapped) ahead of him.He has outgrown his pedalcar and his parents don't have the funds to buy him a new one and he isn't able to ride a bicylce.So I volunteered with the approval of his parents to modify his current pedalcar.Well it turned out real good, lengthend it about a foot, the kid and his parents were just tickled pink, and to see that kid so happy is one of the best feelings in the world! I recommend it to everybody.

2. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Good for you man, helping a kid is what its all about

3. "Your A good man Charle Brown"
    dirt t

4. Fe26

Fe26

Oh man, that is so good!!! That you noticed, that you saw a need, that you had the heart and you made time. We are short of good skilled men, men of substance, wisdom, love and talent.
    We often forget in our too busy, too self absorbed, too insular, too deprived of social and communtity lives, that the simplest pleasures and gifts we can bestow come from ourselves, from our hearts and hands. To buy something off the shelf is one thing, to make is divine.
    That child and his family will remember your selfless gesture, your manners, your simple humanity, long after that pedal car has rusted to dust. Your example will be remembered and retold even perhaps after you have gone.
    Pass it on brother, pass it on.

5. tj

tj

That's great - chance of any pic's of what you did? I'm sure he'll never forget what you did for him... Just donated an adult size rocking horse my dad made to the local Ronald McDonald house - same results- kids are where it's at.

6. Normally I don't reply to these types of threads but lately I've been getting a little bit annoyed with the society that we live in...In the past 48 hours I've had to deal with a murder/suicide of a husband & wife (the asshat did it infront of their 9 yr old kid), a 17 year old drug overdose that was damn close to being fatal, a drunk with a "communcable" disease spitting at me, a boss who tells me that our patient satisfaction scores are low (save a suicide patients life and the family will praise you but then give the patient a satisfaction survey and they are pissed you saved them!)

Reading your post was good medicine for ME this morning. You feel good, the kid feels good, the parents feel good, and I actually feel a little better knowing that there are people out there that still give a shit about somebody other than themself.

Kudos to you...Keep up the good work. Karma says your payoff will be positive.....now if I hear you found a mint '32 3 window in a barn within 72 hrs of your good deed I'll go back to being annoyed as I crawl back into the ER for another 12 hour shift:D

7. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that kicks ass....i hope the good karma heads your way

8. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Polish guy from across the street ran something over with his Snowblower destroying the blades this past winter....he was going to toss it but I told him him to bring it over instead....so he brought it by and I straightened out all the blades and welded them back tgether better then new.Does that count?

On a side-noote....crazy German guy next door came at me with a utilty axe one night because my buddy took "his" parking space in the street......we did him a favor and had him arrested......

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

We lead by example and by "we" I mean YOU. Keep setting those examples and WE are sure to follow.

Thanks!

10. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Last time I did that it bit me in the ass to the tune of wrenching on a late-model minivan for two straight weeks while the asshole owner made every effort to not spend a single dime to keep his 211,000 mile POS on the road. I felt some sympathy for him because he had one of his houses and his good truck repoed. In working with him, I discovered that he had them repoed because he has a sense of entitlement a mile high and is too mentally disorganized to catch a bus that stops a block from his house every 20 minutes to make it to work. I got no sympathy for people who're having money problems and won't go to their job (making twice what I do, might I add) because 'riding the bus is a bummer'. For $50 an hour, I'd ride a unicycle down I75 in rush hour traffic if it meant getting to work...

11. solo_909

solo_909

12. d_ciobotaru

d_ciobotaru
    from ri

well said, but too bad that these days people would jump at the chance to sue if the kid got hurt on that modified pedal car, what a fucked up society we live in today.
    last winter a guy on my street was stuck in a snow bank I stopped my truck and started shoveling him out cars were passing us left and right nobody else stopped well after a half hour we got him in his driveway, he said thanks and we were on our seperate ways. yesyerday he posted a yard sale sign at the telephone pole in fron of my house. i live on the corner of 1 really busy street and another pretty busy street.in the city anyways that pole is always littered with yard sale signs from the bottom to about 7 feet up i asked him if he could come back tom.( today )to get the sign so it dosent end up in my wifes flower bed like the thousands of them throughout the summer. fuck off is what i got from him

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thats great Rodknocker!
    There's no better way to use your skills than to help a person in need.

Curly...THANK YOU, just for doing what you do. In the last year I've been thru the Hospital system twice as I first lost my Dad and then my Father in law within 8 months of each other.
    You guys and gals are incredible.

14. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

That act of kindess was the absolute correct thing to do....Instead of being the guy down the street with the noisy hot rod, your'e the guy down the street that can fix things and maybe share expertise. Goes a long ways in helping to promote good neighbors. I'll betcha' there's a bunch of folks that don't know their next door neighbors names. Good on ya'!

15. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

most people look the other way. its good to hear some of us are not most people. i have a handicapped brother . i am glad you felt rewarded by this.

16. Burny

Burny

Good Stuff! Got picts? Would love to see how it turned out.

17. Good job. . .I am sure he and his parents will never forget. You made my day too.

Bo

18. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

19. funguynstc

funguynstc

way to go,congrats,nice to know there are still some good folks out there

20. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

It's a good feeling......all the kids around here stop and run down the alley behind my house if they see (hear?) one of my rods coming out of the shop. I love to do things for them 'cuz I hope it might get them into mechanical things instead of growing up to be helpless adults. I really smiled at the kids that came over one day with their bicycle. They did the old "cut off a set of front forks and stick them over the ones on the bike to make a chopper trick". they wanted me to weld them on, so i did and i could hear them laughing and yelling all day with that thing.....

21. bohlsd

bohlsd

As the father of a child with severe cerebal palsy I think what you did is great! You probably made the kids whole year! Thanks

22. you're a hell of a guy! i sure wish there were more fellas like you around!

23. Agreed! That was a great thing to do. Actually everybody can do something to help someone out, in whatever capacity they are able, if they WANT TO...

Society today is so self-absorbed, that I dont think it will ever be like it was years ago. My best example is the US during WW II. Society as a whole sacrificed for the country. They went without for the good of others. Kids lied about their ages (my relatives included) to get IN to the service. Good luck with that today.

If you havent read Ryans post about the 40's, please do.

24. rodknocker

rodknocker

Nothin fancy, had extra bars from when I braced my shoebox when I chopped it.An old bike by the side of the road to get the extra chain from,just needs a little paint now.

Attached Files:

25. 53chieftian

53chieftian

awesome man..... real awesome!