Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 chevy truck chopped 5"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnnyP., May 13, 2007.

1. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

so went to go pick up the engine for my girls 61 ranchero and passed this guy with a chopped 63. heres the cell phone pics that i took. looks a little funny that high off the ground and a short bed. but it if was longer and lower it would be perfect...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. p-nor

p-nor

that's not paso is it? doesn't look like here and i don't think i've seen that truck before.

paul

3. Wild_47

Wild_47

i dont think i would want the bed any longer but cool truck.

4. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I think the shortbed could work.

Definitely needs to be slammed though.

5. brewsir

brewsir

big chops need to be slammed...but looks like a hell of a lot of work (inner skin too!)

6. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

the inside of the cab was perfect too. this truck is actually out in bradley. theres a guy there building old cars. does need to get slammed though. had a goofy fish tank tailgate that was kind of weird. mustang front bumper and 30's ford headlights. i just liked the chop.

7. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

heres what my plans were for mine. 3 1/2" chop. slammed back with a slight rake. heres a pic of one with a more drastic chop. i think ill go with the 3 1/2" and throw some home made flush mounted skirts too. pic is originally of P-nor's 66 he has for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sixtysicks

sixtysicks

Yea it might look better with the bigger back window like I have in my 66 also. Those trucks are tricky to make the chop look right. The roof might need just a hair of a rake. One of the truck magazines did one that looked right.

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    I did one of these about 25 years ago, and brewsir is correct,
    they are alot of work. The design of these roofs had alot of
    steel inside of the cab. Coupled with the fact that they are very
    rust prone and have somewhat of a curved windshield, and you'
    ve gotta job on your hands!
    I've always wanted to section the snot outa one of these.
    Chopped, dropped and sectioned with "Watson-Style" paint...

Swankey Devils C.C.

10. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

At first I didn't like it(maybe the paint) but, after going back a few times, I think whoever did the chop did a good job. Doesn't look like the easiest for sure. What's the guy got planned for it? Seems like there is a little something missing but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe the body needs to be chopped about 2-3 inches all the way around, then, slam it so the whole thing sits about 4' high at the roof line. I guess that's the "little something missing" I was thinking about.:D This truck could be a contender!

11. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

we discussed this truck for quite a while. he even stated that he wouldve rather done it to a long bed. it seems way to short. he said he wants to section it. i think it would look good if you section everything after the rear of the front fenders. so the front fenders sit as low as the rest of the truck. just a thought.

12. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

..... if he sectioned it , it would make the truck appear longer, which would look good.

Any body else have pics of 60-66 trucks chopped?

13. squirrel

squirrel

Johny, you need to get a better phone!

might be easier to see how the truck looks if it were all one color, too. the patches of different color primer are distracting.

nice wheels!

14. I've been pondering this since I got mine. I think with a radical chop the body does begin to look too thick. Most newer/large body trucks look very out of proportion with a severe chop. Seems like every one chopped in the '60's '70's and 80's looks like crap.
    That beeing said though...this one looks ok. That windshield must have been a bitch.
    I think without other major body mods 3-4" would look good.
    Here's a good side shot if anyone wants to go crazy;)
    [​IMG]<br/>Shot at 2006-06-23

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. kisam

kisam

I don't really care for a chop on one of these trucks, but to each his own. For what it's worth here is mine. No chop, 2 1/2 " dropped spindles and 3 dropped coils in the back.
    Kathy
    [​IMG]

16. Mattilac

Mattilac

^ Very nice truck.

I think these 60s Chevys just don't need a chop, because the cab is already long enough that all the proportions look nice and fine as is. Chopping it just makes the body look too "fat".

If you're going to chop one of these trucks, I personally wouldn't go more than 2-3". Then I would wonder, is it even worth those couple inches?

17. squirrel

squirrel

like many other cars and trucks, a 2" chop would probably be just right. The idea being that you know it looks better, but you can't tell why....

18. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

Wow, these rust pretty close. Just got this a few weeks ago, South Carolina truck:

[​IMG]

Not going to chop mine, just bodywork, lower about 2" (not a plug, but truckandcarshop.com has custom spring/shock kits to lower 1-3 inches for reasonable price) and get cooler hubcaps.

19. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Really nice truck

20. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

wow. kinda weird this was brought back up. the truck originally posted was taken with my cheap free phone from verizon. man i wish i could afford a good camera. just found out that this truck was chopped mainly at my landlords house. he's looking for all of the progress pics. guy said the chop was actually really easy except the back corners. the roof came practically straight down no problem. he waited about 2 yrs to finally get his glass made.

21. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

If you get copies of the progress pics post them! I am saving for a 62 cab right now that I would like to chop over the winter... and section too

22. 296moon

296moon
    from england

This place is great!.....heres how I chopped my 65, I dident want to lose the metal ribbed inner skin of the roof so I took the roof down 5" and slid it forward, then remade the rear cab area leaning it forward, not the normal way I know but its got the look I wanted [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

that looks good, any side view pics of the whole thing? also if you push the enter button after every picture it will stack them ontop of eahcother.

24. 296moon

296moon
    from england

heres a couple more [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Top looks good .What the grill I really like it is it stock 69, big truck ,or what?

26. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Its a stock 65 c60 grill that I cleaned up a bit, I also took 6" out the bumper and pinched the bottem of the fenders in,

27. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

greenmtnboy:
    I had some fun with your truck...
    1-chop
    2-chop w/section & lowered
    3-moved the wheels around

Attached Files:

28. 1SWANK1

1SWANK1

4 and a half from the front 4 from the rear.

Attached Files:

29. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

^^^^ that one looks bitchen. seems like they might look a little better with a slightly longer bed. not as long as a longbed though. somewhere inbetween. the shortbeds look to squashed and the longbeds look too flat and long. im still debatiing on even doing anything to mine, if i found another AD 1 1/2 ton i would through it on my chassis and do it like i had my 54. im still up in the air. swapped my kragen 305 for a fresh rebuilt 283, so i am still doing some stuff to mine, just nothing that cool just yet.

30. Thanks man, some food for thought...

Any more pics of this one Swank? It looks just about perfect to me.