Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new Truck 59 F-100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rancho, May 7, 2007.

1. Rancho

Rancho

Well here it is. It not much at the moment, but its a start. It has a 302\auto trans. It needs some minor work on the cab ( cab corners\floors ). The bed I think I am going to scrape cause its pretty bad and i cant find anyone who makes patch panels for it. I am going to try and find a better bed to make work. This truck is what I have wanted since I was 12, so whatever it takes I will get it done. Plans are to drop it 3 in the rear 4.5 in the front. Not sure on color yet. If anyone knows where to get panels for the bed or has a bed let me know. Right now money is tight but might have something you need. Anyway here it is.
    Eric

Attached Files:

2. eviljake

eviljake
    from Austin, TX

3. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Hey Rancho that is a cool find. Congrats on the purchase.
    I just picked up a 57 two weeks ago. It was set up for a 351/auto. I am in the process of trying to find a motor now.
    A farmer down the road just junked one. One box side looked decent the other was bad. I was just a little to late to stop it from going to the crusher.:mad:
    Heres a pic of my purchase.

Attached Files:

4. Cool Truck,try Lmc Truck For Patch Panel & Parts

5. Rancho

Rancho

hey stick shift, what kind of 351 do you need i just sold one to a friend. it is a 351 mod, no trans, supposed to be less than 5000 on it.

hotrodsurfer lmc does make alot of stuff for my truck but unfortunally they do not make styleside bed parts for that year.

6. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Attached Files:

7. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Hey Rancho, wish I lived closer! I'll take a closer look at the condition of my parts truck's styleside bed sides (been focussing on the other parts), since I plan on strippin' her to the frame. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

8. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

Ahh man, im currently redoing mine, and its the toughest car or truck i have ever worked on., they are cool, but so so stubborn.

[​IMG]

9. Rancho

Rancho

Hey Tim,
    that would be great yeah if i was closer i would take the bed from you for sure. I took the old box of today. It is for sure seen better days, turns out the truck is from oregon not iowa like i thought, it must have been close to the ocean. The cab, fenders and hood are in real good shape, just need two small patches in floor and D/S cab corner.

10. Rancho

Rancho

Update. Well i pulled the bed, and it is junk all the bed supports are rotted and the bed floor in the front is paper thin. So on friday the bed is getting hauled to the scraper. Also gutted the interior and started to pull the front sheet metal. You were right gasser52 this front sheet metal and grill are very stubborn. But what the hey its fun finally tearing into it and gettin dirty.
    Eric

11. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I wouldn't toss the bed. Putting a new bed floor in will probibly be one of the easiest things to do to the truck.

I found a '60 1 ton around the corner from the new house that I need to check out. :)

12. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

Yes! the grille is exactly what i am doing right now, i actually had to cut a few bolts off becuase it was easier than trying to reach up inside the fender and wrench from the front at the same time haha

13. Rancho

Rancho

I was going to try and save the bed until i pulled it. Even the supports underneth the bed were gone not to mention the rear under the light at the bottom i could put my fist threw. It was just to far gone to fool with. I am not in a hurry to find one cause i am gonna paint the frame and pull the engine so i can paint it and the engine compartment. Hey if you check out that truck and it has a nice bench seat let me know i really want to run a stock bench seat. The one in the truck was from a mid 80's cutlass with power and i want to be able to put my sons car seat in the middle so me the wife and him can ride together.

14. Rancho

Rancho

Yeah i know i stared at it for an hour last night after work figuring out how it all bolts together. Either i drank to much beer or it really is a cluster bleep.

15. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Nice truck. :) Good luck with it.

This is my daily driver '60:

[​IMG]

I love the '57-'60s ... I always thought they didn't get enough attention.

16. Don't scrap it! If the sides are even semi-decent, save it. Just weld in a floor from a later ('90s) pickup. I measured up a '91 short box, and they're almost identical dimensions to my '59. Got me to thinkin' about grafting my side panels onto a later box for double walls, and fewer places for rust to start.

17. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

I totally agree! I've heard folks totally rip on the late 50's Ford trucks. I think they're great. I plan on looking for a cheap one when the Fairlane gets done to use at a parts hauler.

18. I agree!
    BTW- what size tires are you running? I'm at the stage of setting up ride height/stance, and yours looks about right. What (if any)suspension mods have been done to your truck? Thanks

19. Rancho

Rancho

Your truck looks sweet man. I have always wanted a 57-60 and its gonna take some time but i will get there.

20. Rancho

Rancho

21. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Very nice. I'm waiting for my 59 to get here, few more weeks.

22. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I dig 'em. Especially the '57's.
    That's what I was looking for when I found my 56.

23. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

I plan on selling my 57 when it gets done, when its finished it will have a creme white metalflake roof, it will be lower in the front than in the pics, more lowered in the rear, metallic ice blue pearl body, Possibly chrome steelies or just the caps, and it will turn into a big back window (which i will be posting tech on here throughout the instalation of the new top) and a white interior, all shaved and etc, i think i will be asking like 8k obo.

24. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

The truck ended up being a F600. It was rough. I don't think it will be for sale anytime soon. The seat didn't look too good either.

25. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I think it rides way too high ... right now it's pretty much stock height. The tires are B.F. Goodrich 750-16s from Coker. The front end is stock, and the rear just has a few leaves taken out. This summer, once I have some money, I'm gonna start with a dropped axle.

26. Rancho

Rancho

Updat: Today I made a couple of real good scores, My dad bought an aluminum steering column a few weekends back for his coupe. Turns out it is to long. It is a ididit polished tilt he got at a swap meet. So i asked him what he planned to do with it. He gave me that and a brand new edelbrock carb in the box all for keeping the grass cut at his house this summer:) . Also a guy I work with gave me a real nice set of cal custom valve covers for the 302. So all in all not a bad day.
    Eric

27. cowman

cowman

Talk about timing. I just got off the phone with my son who is coming home from School today. We had worked on a 60 F-100 as a project before he left. Just before he left we found the 223 six banger had a cracked block, so that project was shelved. The last thing he said before he hung up today was that he wanted to go ahead a finish "ol' Red" before he goes back in August.
    Just as a passing thought, I called a buddy who has a body shop and always is running into motor deals. I ask him if he knows of an old ford six for sale, low and behold they just yanked one out of a 64 yesterday to drop in a 302. Bought it cheap!
    I get off the phone and check out the HAMB, (for the first time in days,) and see this thread. Forces are at work, and I hope to be driving ol' Red around before the end of summer. No, it will not be going to Austin when he goes back next fall!

28. I dig the '59s the best of the "Fridge" Fords. I always thought they needed nosing though to get rid of that huge "Ford" emblem on the hood. Also, save the bed sides and use the relief seam to make your tail gate match the lines of the bed sides. Slick custom update that looks like it belongs.

29. jchav62

jchav62

Nice truck...My Pops used to have one in Nevada. We put in a 302/c-4 and after a while he got a deal on a 351 Windsor/C6. He drove it everyday to work until he retired...the he sold it. Good luck with yours, can't wait to see your progress pics...Later...