Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody got tips for building a bench seat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flipper, May 10, 2007.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I'm not happy with the mock up of bucket seats in the truck, so I'm back to my original idea of modifying the bench seat.

I'm gonna build new, thinner seat cushions for my original AD seat frame.

What kind of foam do I need to buy?

Any special glue to use on foam?

Plywood or metal for seat bottom and backs?

Anybody got pictures of their seat project?

2. john56h

john56h

I once considered modifying school bus seats, but they were too narrow for my car...might be about right for a pickup.

I ended up with a bench seat from the back of an 80's Ford Bronco.

3. Low

Low

4. twolane

twolane

I used a black rubbery foam I picked up from a local swap meet near hear as a base layer for my seats. It's kind of like Tempur-Pedic but much cheaper. It's nice because it doesn't fully compress or bottom out like regular foam does. I then put a layer of a more normal foam I picked up from Jo-Ann fabrics that is intended to be used as a seat cushion. Works out pretty well. If you are looking for a bench seat though you might be better off using the third seat from an suv. They are kind of pricey but if it will fit it would make you're life much easier.

5. Are you planning to do away with the springs, and put foam covered plywood or steel in their place? You may not like it. Are the old springs shot/gone? New one are pretty cheap. I narrowed one to fit, but I may build a whole new seat some day.
    http://www.decoratorsupplyinc.com/springs.htm
    Check out the "SEAT HELICALS—15 gauge wire, ½” O.D. For securing outside rows of No-Sag wire to side rails. They can also be used as spring inter-ties to provide better filling support and more even distribution of loads. Approx. 20 per pound. 2" length." Only $8 a lb., 40 cents a spring.

"BACK HELICALS—17 gauge wire, ½” O.D. These open hook, open wound springs are used primarily in back construction or for softer platforms. Approx. 30 springs per pound. 3" length." Only $8 a lb., 27 cents a spring.
    [​IMG] NO-SAG SPRINGS—Sometimes called zigzag springs, these springs are made of tempered wire which is formed into evenly spaced curves, or “loops”. No webbing or spring tying is necessary. #9 for seat, 120 ft. coils, each

$60.88 / 120' coil

Looks like you could do all new springs for about $80. They have foam, too.

The thread where I modified a Chevy Suburban third seat.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168669

6. Get thee to a junkyard and you shall have an epiphany.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I picked up 3" foam from Joanne fabrics on clearance (the green heavy foam in the background) and some clearance black upholstery vinyl. all sewn at home on a heavy husquavarna machine. used matting in between old sheets and the vinyl, sews better vinyl side down, less bunching. sew "duck cloth" on the edges to run the wire, hog rongs through (i used a bunch of heavy zip ties from work)

i velcroed the front seat, from a 88 chevy truck. industrial adhesive velcro stuck to the frame, sewn onto the seat cover, holds great so far. we made seatbelt holes using the duck cloth as well. they came out real nice.

my fiance's mom did all the work. :D

Attached Files:

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Rolf shows how he narrowed a van seat for his coupe. look at his build in the tech section. Looks easy and very functional.

9. OLLIN

OLLIN

I will have to second this comment.. I had started to make a seat out of plywood. By the time you buy the wood, foam, vinyl and measure and build it etc..its gotten way outta hand. I went to the fabric store and the good really dense foam I wanted was kinda pricey.
    I finally just took some measurements, and took the day off and checked the local junk yard. I spent about half a day (almost a whole day) looking at different ones. Ones that seem like they would work are bronco rear seats, like someone said, jeep rear seats, suzuki samarai rear seats, shuttle busses, minivan center seats, etc.etc...
    the beige one was from a jeep, i just went with the blue one and sold the jeep one here on the HAMB.

I finally found one that was almost perfect in a handicap shuttle bus, (note the blue color, haha) I dont think I could have beat that! It had nice springs, the foam was made for that seat, nice upholstery with no rips (which i vinyl painted black and it looks fine for now), and I have a pattern for when I do eventually recover them. The only thing was I just had to lean the back rest back about 3 inches, and drop it down about 2 inches in height. I also curved the back to fit the contour of the body. I really looks good if I do say so myself. Once I took apart the seat, I saw that there really wasn't much to the frame. I just had to trim a few things, but most of the hard work is done by gong that route. And it only cost like $30!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Yep.

The stock cushions were way too thick for my taste. I want to sit lower and farther back than the 1948 chevy truck seats would allow.

However, I do kinda like the tube seat back and frame of the stocker and want to recycle it. Given enough time, I think I can make it work. FYI...nothing on this truck has really been a bolt-on and go deal.

What I don't have a clue about is seat foam. What kind / weight / density / whatever I need to build a seat. And where do I get it?

11. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

This past weekend, I started making my idea for a modified bench seat a reality.

I used sheetmetal to form the seat back and seat bottom..
    [​IMG]

There is a steel subframe under the seat bottom to help carry my fat ass.
    [​IMG]

The seat back and bottoms are contoured more like a modern seat and will be padded with a couple of inches of foam. (This is just the first layer. Bottom layers are gonna be dense, top layers something more cushy)
    [​IMG]

Doing the seat like this gains a bunch of interior space over the stock set-up. My seat back sheetmetal actually touches the back of the cab. I will sit 3-4 inches lower and about 5-6 inches farther back.

I haven't decided what the cover material will be.

12. Jag-T

Jag-T

Finally made it back with a camera.

Here is the seat. I added two inches of soft foam to the seat back and four more inches of soft foam to the bottom. I then covered it in cheap vinyl (no sewing, just folded and glued/stapled).

I'm real happy with the fit and feel.

Its a good thing I went vinyl.....rust dust comes from everywhere.
    [​IMG]

Here's my dad making motor noises
    [​IMG]