Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got my Barn find 54 home-under it's own power!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tstclr, May 8, 2007.

1. tstclr

tstclr

Woo hoo! After about a month of spending every spare minute on this thing, I finally got my 54 210 running. It was touch and go for a while but she finally caught. The longer she ran the smoother she got. Of course after 35 some odd years in a barn, the water pump started pissing. I expected that. Surprisingly the longer she ran the less she leaked. Since it was getting dark I decided to take a chance and drive her home. I only live about a mile away. A co worker followed me and I went for it. All the exterior lights even worked. There was one tense moment driving up a hill where the car started to die- likely from hardly any gas in the tank (tank is new). I was so damn happy to have the car in my garage that I had to shoot some photos. True patina here:
    [​IMG]

Being on a shoestring budget, I had to settle for $65 radials and did the Krylon Fusion whitewall trick with Tremclad steelies and factory hubcaps. It'll do for now however the wide whites are starting to yellow. I'll try another couple of coats:
    [​IMG]
    The doglegs need work as to the lower rear fenders. The floors are fantastic:
    [​IMG]

Rear end: The reflector was put there by someone to cover a dent:
    [​IMG]

Carpet? Who needs carpet!
    [​IMG]

Bone stock 235 (for now....)
    [​IMG]

Once all the mechanical bugs are sorted out and it's a reliable driver, I'll lower her and put skirts on her. Not sure what to do about the paint? Suggestions? Leave it?
    The roof has a bunch of dents. They are going to be a bit of a biatch to remove. Apparently, the damn farmer used the car to get up to the hay loft:mad:. Maybe I should just paint on a big size 12 boot print and leave the "THIS PLACE SUCKS" writing someone put there!
    [​IMG]

I also want to thank everyone on here for all the advice I got which was instrumental to me getting to this stage. Special thanks to SixGunner for giving me a screaming deal on a replacement transmission. If not for Jay, I'd have been pushing the damn thing home. Well, now that I have this car, it looks like I wont have any $$ to finish off my garage. Looks like foam walls till next year :D!

Todd

2. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

That's a neat old Chebby. I like it! Good luck with it dude.

Mike

3. 1950Deluxe

1950Deluxe
    from Kansas

Thats a beauty. Apparently I need to go talk to more farmers lol!!
    Please post more pics as progress goes.

4. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Way to go!!! Nice she made it home under her own power. Why can't I get that lucky? The Buick rolled in off a flatbed.

5. hvychvy

hvychvy

COOL CAR,can't beat them ol 235's.Mine hadn't ran since 76 fuel pump,normal tune up,to include a new vacumme advance,and she ran like a top.Foam walls are way better than no walls:D

6. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

7. flathead48

flathead48

Neat! Theres a 53' sittin in an open garage nearby me I've had my eye on for awhile, you've just inspired me to go ask about it.