Register now to get rid of these ads!

New shop rig 63 Studybaker wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, May 5, 2007.

1. fitzee

fitzee

Final picked up the Lark wagon today. Been watching this car for three months now and the longer it sat the cheaper it was. It needs a bit of body work, but for what we paid for it I can`t complain. We are thinking of a good tuneup with new brakes and maybe lower it down and give it a quick flick of color and add a set of chrome steelies and white walls to it. Don`t want to spend much time or money on it this year. Just want to have a neat ride to promote the shop.

[​IMG]

2. tstclr

tstclr

Cool car. Tons of NOS parts super cheap available here: http://www.studeparts.com/ This is the website of SASCO in South Bend. Something like 2 million NOS parts in stock. Check the online catalogue and see crazy cheap prices like a front door for your wagon for only $165.80! I love my Stude....
    Todd

3. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

great shop ride

4. guiseart

guiseart

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

For Some Reason I Love Studes... Just Cool Cars. Kind Of The Red Headed Step Child Of Rodders Everywhere

6. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Slam it ,and make a two door sedan delivery out of er'.

7. fitzee

fitzee

Fired it up today.The poor old 6 has a bad rattle in the bottom end.Was hoping to get by for this year with it but now I will have to do the engine swap to a SBC.

I am also hunting for dealers in chrome steel wheels.Anybody know of any dealers for these wheels.I found a few of the chrome smoothies but I like the stock wheels that are chrome better.

8. tstclr

tstclr

Screw the SBC. Put a Stude V8 mill in it like this->
    [​IMG]
    or a Paxtoned Stude 289 like this 63 has:
    [​IMG]

You want to improve it, don't you? ;)
    Todd

9. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

those are cool. post some pics after you get it going.

10. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

SBC is a cop out , it's the easy way out , it's BOREING and over used ,Please reconsider .

11. long island vic

long island vic

a sbc was a factory motor in the later studes,,,they put studebaker stickers on the covers

12. fitzee

fitzee

Guys Time is something I don`t have much off when it comes to my own stuff.It would be great for a factor studebaker V8 but none in these parts,As for a easy cop out,well it is like this.I want this to be a company rig,something quick easy and above all cheep to build.It is bad enough to have to replace the engine but from what I have seen on these cars a SBC is the quickest swap.I want to get it on the road and drive the shit out of it.Hence!!A company rig!! Cool stude engines all the same.

13. tstclr

tstclr

You'd be surprised what you'd find. I thought the same thing when I got my 63. Went so far as to get the SBC mounts from a later Stude. Then I found out there were a ton of Stude fans in the area. Got my running 259 4bbl with a new Edelbrock 4bbl for $500 from a guy 20 minutes from my house!
    Todd

14. shagg'n

shagg'n

Stumbled on this thread-cool stuff!I just picked up '65 Cruiser "8" from a guys barn.The cars been park undisturbed since '72.I opened up hood expecting to fing SBC,and found what looks like pics above.What size/whos engine is it!?

15. fitzee

fitzee

You might be right but this is a Island with a small car culture that I am a main part of for over 25 years.Not much goes on around here that I don`t know about.but some stuff will get by my nose.A big car show up here has maybe a 100 cars!!

16. tstclr

tstclr

In '65 Studebaker was using a "McKinnon" 8 which is really a Chevy 283.
    Todd

17. tstclr

tstclr

If you cruise on over to the Studebaker Drivers club forum http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com and tell them where you are and that you need a cheap running Stude V8, I'm sure they'll bend over backwards to find you one. They seem to really dislike guys putting SBC's in their Studes. Also post a want ad (it's free) on the Studebaker Swap website:
    http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php
    There ain't nuthin like the sound of a Stude V8 with glasspacks!
    Todd

18. fef100

fef100

I am with ballsey on this one. The SBC is a cop out, so easy anybody can do it. Keep it real, all Stude.

19. fitzee

fitzee

Lets see spend a few weeks tring to find a Stude V8 on line,buy that.then spend a arm and leg tring to get it to here and have to wate 3 or 4 weeks,if I`m lucky,to get it, they put it in the car,and hope it is a good motor!Find the starter is dirt then hunt one of them down,next you find you can`t get a gasket for the base pan here locally so you order that on line another 4 weeks! Sorry guys you mean well but that is not going to happen.Like I said time is money and the faster I get this on the road the less time I have to think about it and get back to the job at hand...Making money!! Cop out or not Small block chevy it will be.

20. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Just on the off-chance.........Back in '68 when I was a teenager, I recieved a '65 Cruiser as a HS graduation gift from an eldely uncle.
    It was our transportation at our wedding in '69, and is in many of our wedding photos
    When the SBC finally wore out, I pulled the engine out and parked it.
    The guy that I eventually sold it to was convinced that it was supposed to have came with a Studebaker V-8, and he immediately set about installing one.
    I don't know if he ever did get it running again, I contacted him several times about buying it back, until over the years we eventually lost contact.
    The original factory paint was "Yukon Gold" (kind of a lightly metallic Palimino tan color) and it once had a 4 speed transmission swapped in place of the original automatic.
    If this is the same car, the dash was dyed black, and the trans tunnel will have a hole cut out for the shifter.
    If it is my old Cruiser, I and the wife would be very interested.

21. I am also hunting for dealers in chrome steel wheels.Anybody know of any dealers for these wheels.I found a few of the chrome smoothies but I like the stock wheels that are chrome better.[/quote]

Coker tire carries OEM style chrome wheels, and they are an Alliance vender......

22. flynstone

flynstone

put stud yalve covers on that sbc and drive it......sorry guys chevy parts are everywhere if its a work car it needs to run all the time not be down while waiting for parts,,,,,,,,,,,

23. rixrex

rixrex

To all you guys that think this wagon is the coolest (especially Texans) I have a 63 for sale..mine is the Wagonaire, has the rear sliding roof , mirrored vanity glovebox and under-dash air conditioning..three-speed w/overdrive on OHV six cyl..I also have a spare 259 V/8, needs to be overhauled and someday will go in the wagon....

24. JoeG

JoeG

I'm with flynstone. The sbc will be reliable, which is what you need in a shop ride.

25. Swifster

Swifster

There is no rocket science to a Studebaker V8 and there is no problem locating parts other than for a high dollar R3 engine. Stude V8's are just as dependable as a SBC. I've mentioned this once on another site, but swapping engines in this car, either a Stude V8 or SBC will not be cheap. The same problems hamper a swap with either engine. Trans fitment, engine fitment, a driveshaft and rear axle assembly (unless there is a Dana 44 under it already), etc.

A GM engine and trans might be cheaper and easier to get ahold of, but mounts will need to be sourced or fabricated, a trans mount will need to be fabricated and the trans tunnel 'massaged'. A custom driveshaft will need to be made. The brakes will need to be upgraded to V8 brakes at the minimum. Headers will be limited to block huggers from Headman or similar companies. A '65-'66 V8 car as a donor can supply most of what you're missing, especially if it's a wagon or four door. The Dana 27 rear axle won't hold up to V8 poundings for very long.

Cost of swapping to a Stude V8 won't be cheaper, though a donor car could supply a V8, trans and driveline, as well as a brake system. But without a donor, you'll still need to get what's missing.

The GM engine and trans will be lighter. The Stude engine is HEAVY. Any engine swap needs to be thought out. The Studebaker vendors can get most of the OEM parts needed to complete the swap. The GM motor mount brackets are no longer available, but the mounts are.

It's your car, I will not tell you how to build it. Owning a '64 Daytona hardtop I bought as a roller as opened my eyes to both sides of this issue. Mine is an original 4-speed car and I still haven't made up my mind on which V8 I'll use. I guess from my end, it will be decided when I find a good, rebuidable Stude 289 or a Chevy 327 (300 HP & up). I was originally going to put a ZZ4 in it, but I like the idea of going full vintage with mine. I at least already have a Dana 44 and factory disc brakes.

Good luck with your project.