Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 Barrel Carb poll for SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by de-fenders, May 2, 2007.

1. de-fenders

de-fenders

Just wondering for future reference, what do you guys running sbc's and 4 barrel carbs run ? Do you stay with a traditional carb, or do you use a Edelbrock performer (for example). Just curious as to staying with the old or going with the new in a case like that. Thanks in advance, Greg:cool:

2. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

Well, traditionally, if you were going to run an SBC with a 4bbl carb....You'd put in an SBC with a 4bbl carb. :D
    Stick with an AFB. Can't go wrong.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Honestly, the 4GC that was standard issue on the power pack 283s was well suited to the engine. If it's built up from stock, I'd go with an AFB on either a factory 300hp 327 intake, or (if you can find one) an Edelbrock C4B.

4. Sander

Sander

You can definitely go for a WFB or WCFB Carter.
    I hate the shiny look of Edelbrock carbs, so even though by all means its a glorified WFB, I would go with a nice gold Holley before all else.
    Demon carbs can look cool on the right car, but again I prefer a good old looking Holley 4160/4150 carb.
    Q-Jets are so dorky they're cool. I dig seeing cars running em.
    Just throwing in my twin pennies.

Sander

5. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Predator!!!!

haha...I could'nt resist...sorry.

6. de-fenders

de-fenders

Thanks guys for the imput. de-fenders:cool:

7. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

I got a quadrajet on mine because it was/is working good when I got it otherwise I'd go with a older Holley myself

8. HOLLEY for looks and throttle response/power. If there was a better carb, race cars wouldn't be inundated with Holleys. Sure you see other carbs when required by "class" rules. But, when not restricted to rules? Holleys are mostly what you'll see. There's a reason for that. Yeah, i know, you're gonna say that's at the race track. On the street? They're great there too.

9. I've got an old intake on mine and am using a spreadbore double pumper Holley on it, it should work good with the 4.11's and skinny tires....lol

10. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

holley for ease of truning and repair and q-jets just plain suck

11. collector

collector
    from madera,ca

like groucho said , I think holley would be the best.

12. I've been running a Holley spread bore on my SBC for years. Edelbrock Performer, mild Crane cam, Hooker fenderwell headers, Even with 3:70 gears I was getting 20 MPG on a trip from Maryland to Pigeon Forge Tenn. a few years back. Even at around 3000 RPM cruising speed........must be the small primary's. I've got a tri power set up I've been wanting to get on it, but it seems like there's never enough time to get it done !!

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

On a small block 327-350,the Holley 1850 600 cfm carb will work great out of the box on a moderately built engine.As mentioned above,the spread bore Holley is good also,I believe the spread bore is discontinued,I see new ones for cheap money.
    An original AFB works well if you can find a good one.
    I don't like Edelbrocks,but a lot of guys use the Edelbrock AFB clone or the AVS type so they must be ok

14. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Im running an Edelbrock performer and AFB on the coupe. Trouble free and gets 20+ on the highway. I have a stock intake and Q-jet in the Mid injun Vair. The first 4 bbl I learned to rebuild was a Q-jet. The rest are a walk in the park now. Q-jets can keep up with the best of them if set up right. And their a dime a dozen at the swaps.

15. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

absolutely...if I was not running the Rochester tri-power setup, and was going single 4 bbl, it would, and always will be, a Holley. Some people don't like 'em, but most of the time...thats because they don't know how to tune 'em.

16. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

holley mech secondary double pumper, is my choice for a 4 barrel you cant beat em.

17. BigRed390

BigRed390

I'm installing an Edelbrock this weekend, but I have my reasons. It's going on a 390 with the huge thunderbird breather on top of it, so it won't show at all, and (most importantly for this college student on a ramen noodle diet) it was CHEAP!! (Factory Remanufacture.) Holley's do look better, and from what i've heard and seen, really are better carbs. Pricey though.

18. teddyp

teddyp

have a holly 600 on my sbc and y-block ford :cool:

19. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I run an Edelbrock manifold and their 550cfm carb on a 305. Great gas mileage. I outgrew the stoplight boogie years ago.

20. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Use an Edelbrock 600 with electric choke. Set it and forget it, put on a Holley and plan on playing with it.

21. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I prefer Edelbrocks, bolt 'em on and go. My second chice is Quadrajet, they take time to be set up properly so most guys aren't smart enough to make one right. Holleys waste gobs on time keeping them right, if they don't burn your car first.

22. 28pontiac

28pontiac

I HAD a Holley on my Buick and another on my Pontiac... They run great on the track, but suck in a street driven car. One of the best things I did was dump the Holley and bought an Edelbrock for the Buick. Within a month, I bought another one for my Pontiac. I got real damn tired of changing power valves (even with the check valve) and re-jetting everytime the temperature and humidity changed. I'll send Vic Edelbrock more money the next time I need a carb.

My opinion....
    Andy

23. knotheads

knotheads

i ran holleys when i was street and bracket racing ... the three H 's were manditory (headers highrise and holley)..i did blow alot of power valves with the holley tho ...i tried an edelbrock carb a few years ago and its been trouble free.

24. I was running a holley on my cammed sbc and boy hidy that thing has some gidy up. Very good reaction (if tuned right) and power. Also I have an Edelbrock on it now without a cam and its peepy but not the same as the holley, but very easy bolt on as others have stated.

25. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

Q-JET great carb but u got to know how to set them up i was force to use them on my circle track car. love them for a daily driver tow pig.

26. If one is good, 2 is better!-MIKE:eek: :cool:

[​IMG]

27. depends what your going to use it for.
    street i would go with a quadrajet (if your useing a new spread bore manifold) or a 4 jet if your useing an older manifold. a quad has great gas mileage on the primaries and a great kick when you hit the secondaires.

race i would say holley, my personal opinon is they are only good for that because they run rich (wasting gas).

28. twolane

twolane

I've had good luck with quads and getting good mileage if thats a concern, but once a quad goes bad it's a bit tough to rebuild. I'm running an edelbrock right now and I love it. like others have said- set it and forget it. can't get a much easier carb to work on for the price.

29. I run Holleys, always liked 'em and probably always will.

I've run carter AFBs and liked them real well also but they is a bigger learning curve to tuneing one so if you're not ready to learn the Holley is the simpler of the 2.

30. I like the Holley ,simple to setup and install , but they do seem to run rich , and blow power valves more often than not , so why is that I like the holley?