Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roll or brush on self etching primer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ghcoe, May 4, 2007.

1. ghcoe

ghcoe
    from boise, ID

Just was wondering if there is a self etching primer out there that you can brush or roll on right out of the can?

2. slim53

slim53

What are you looking to do? Why not spray it?....

3. ghcoe

ghcoe
    from boise, ID

Looking to protect panels as I am doing the body work. I do not have a garage and was told to use self etching epoxy primer. I do not want to make the neighbors mad by spraying primer mist all over and do not want to bother with mixing. Kind of new to this paint and primer thing.

ghcoe

4. slim53

slim53

Unless your neighbors share the driveway with you, the overspray shouldn't be an issue. It'll dry long before it gets to anything they own. But if you need to brush it on you can still use the sprayable kind. Difference being (obviously) is your just brushing it on.....slim

5. ghcoe

ghcoe
    from boise, ID

Have to mix or straight out of the can?

ghcoe[​IMG]

6. slim53

slim53

If you use self etching it just needs to be reduced. If your using epoxy (which is what I recommend) you're going to need to mix it.....

7. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Etch primer dose not protect metal from rusting it is made up of acids that etch into bare metal so that primer will stick too it dupont self etch primer in spray cans is a great etch primer also dupont vari prime is a 50 50 mix and can be rolled on or brushed or spray. beleive it or not rustoluem rusty metal primer is great for stopping rust but usualy won't work well over body work and tends to react with most paint but stops rust from getting worse. If you are planning on stripping off the paint and sand blast etch prime it then use a sandable filler primer on top then sand that down and seal it with a sealer primer or epoxy primer and then paint it.

8. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

you can buy self etching primer in a rattle can. I knew spies hecker has one and I think you can buy a napa brand, and UPol makes one.. lots of brands. But it will protect and etch the metal, as long as your not just leaving it outside in teh rain all the time, and it has very minimal overspray. You can also buy 2 part epoxy primer/sealer and probably roll or brush it on, just let it dry for a week because Im sure it will need to.

9. ghcoe

ghcoe
    from boise, ID

Thanks for the quick responses. This helps out a lot.:)

ghcoe.

10. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

man it took 50+ yrs to look like that and it aint gonna get worse in the nexct couple of yrs if you take a long time to do it..

11. indyjps

indyjps

they sell self etching primers specifically designed to roll on and self level. I read about them a while back as a way to increase body shop production rates. Let me see if I can find the name of the company making them.

12. indyjps

indyjps

autobodystore.com has a primer designed for roll on application called U-Pol roll on primer it is a high build though. you may need to spray a self etching or experiment with the self etching in small areas until you figure out the ratio to mix it down.
    Moparts.com has a several hundred page thread about rolling on top coat called "paint job on a budget" I coldnt get a link to work on this compter, Ill post it from a different one later.
    I was skeptical at first but after reading the 200+ pages I was beginning to get convinced it could be used on some projects. they are using Brightside boat paint or rustoleum pro. the Brightside has slightly better results but the color choice is limited. it involves a ton of wet sanding but its a cheap way to get a good looking paint job. check it out, its an interesting read. Im going to use it on a few things.

13. d_ciobotaru

d_ciobotaru
    from ri

toyota recommends that roll on stuff, i live in the rust belt and always have late 90's and early 00's mercedes come in for rust repair i always use rattle can self etching primer made by sem and do my bodywork right over it. i never had a problem with lifting or adheasion.

14. I agree.The Sem spray cans work great.

15. ghcoe

ghcoe
    from boise, ID

Wow. Thanks for all the great feedback!

It has seen 50+ years but is solid! Hardly any rust in the floor and body, outside of surface rust.:) [​IMG]