Register now to get rid of these ads!

help with a 55 chevy 235

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kylltyme1, May 4, 2007.

1. kylltyme1

kylltyme1
    from long beach

hi i am very new to this and i just aquired an amazing 55 chevy 1st series truck. i searched the threads to see if there was anything concerning the 235 thats in my truck but i came across everything else so i thought i would start a new thread. sorry if i am a complete moron and skipped one on this subject. anyway... my 235 doesnt have much power (as per usual) but i dont want to swap the engine. i like the straight 6 but i want more out of it. any and all suggestions would be helpful. remember im new so i may hit you up to explain a little more thouroghly if i dont understand some terminology.

thanks,
    jeremy

2. slow64

slow64
    from MB, Canada

Nothing wrong with a 55-first series 235.

Have you been to www.stovebolt.com ?
    How about www.inliners.org ?

Good resources.

The standard trick for these motors is to help them breathe.

So you'd want dual exhaust (split manifold or header -- use those as search terms, you'll find it).
    Lots of people go with dual (or triple, or multi-barrel single) carbs too.

Have a look at this thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=251897

should give you some ideas.

OH, and here's a trick it took me a year of hambing to learn.

go to google.com

type 'site:www.jalopyjournal.com xxxxxxxxxx'

where xxxxxxxxx is the term you're searching for and you'll get a whole lot better results...

My best advice? read, read, read, read, read.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

A dual carb intake with a pair of carter/webers (langdon's has a kit) you get built in progressive linkage and with a little jet change it'll run better than stock. then dual exhaust, I think a 55 can run the fenton cast headers (available from speedway, others) and put a pertronix or hei dizzy, you're all set.

4. 6inarow

6inarow

if you want to get more power yet out of your 235 and it needs a rebuild, you can add a cam, balance it, or even make a stroker out of it.

Other than that, exactly what 53 sled and slow64 said and you will really perk the old stovebolt up!!

5. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Have you done a compression check on it? Are all the cylinders firing? Are all the filters new? Is it smoking? Just a few basic things you can check. The 235 is a hearty little engine, I had one in a 55 back in 1969. The day I bought it from my grandfather for $150, I drove it home (150 miles) and broke a piston ring. Pulled the head and bad piston out, honed it. New rings and put it back together. Anyway, you say you want more power but how much power are you wanting?

6. slow64

slow64
    from MB, Canada

7. kylltyme1

kylltyme1
    from long beach

wow. you guys have have definitely helped. i appreciate all the responses. im pricing out parts as i type this. thank you. this site is the best ever.

8. Longbox55

Longbox55

Don't ditch that 235!! Set up right, they're major torque engines. I have an uncle that used to take out early Hemis with one back in the day. All of the advice given is good stuff. You'll want to check with Patrick's also.
    I'm running a '55 2nd 235 wiht a 3/4 cam,upgrade ignition, dual Holley 1904 singles, and Fentons, Got lots of power.
    If you need any help with Chevy truck specific issues, try the Stovebolt Page. Lots of knowlegable people there.

9. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

because the 551st has a open driveline a big help to going faster is a higher gear rear end. the 235 has tons of torque and can easly handel a 2.75 -300 rear axle ratio. i drove my own for 5years. fenton hedders, hei dist. and a holley 4 barrell. dual carbs are more tradiontal but a lot more trouble. you know 2 of everything.

10. kylltyme1

kylltyme1
    from long beach

thanks longbox that gives me some motivation. i wasnt planning on swapping the engine mainly because it looks cool but driving in los angeles is a bitch when a douche bag in his pretty benz cuts me off since im only going 55. i hate that. i keep spare water bottles for those dicks (kidding, sort of..). anyway.. . stovebolt.com is a super cool website and those guys definitely know their shit. i guess now it comes down to what will be best for me. she is my daily driver and i want her to be dependable. with that said, i am looking to change the gear ratio and do some of the engine mods very soon. i will let you guys know how it comes out.

jerm